Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:34 am

Programs: QF Gold
Looking to book a flight home to Australia.
LHR-SIN-SYD-BNE (BA-BA-QF) seems only slightly more than Etihad.

Now ... I need a week to get my affairs in order here. Should the BA flight be canceled to Sydney will they be responsible to get me over to Australia on another carrier anyway?

On oneworld I get 46kg (which I will be using every KG of). If they throw me on etihad or someone, how is this dealt with?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by davem4

Now ... I need a week to get my affairs in order here. Should the BA flight be canceled to Sydney will they be responsible to get me over to Australia on another carrier anyway?

On oneworld I get 46kg (which I will be using every KG of). If they throw me on etihad or someone, how is this dealt with?
Given that it will take you a week to get your affairs in order, unless you are a Singaporean citizen/permanent resident etc you won’t be able to transit in SIN.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:41 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Given that it will take you a week to get your affairs in order, unless you are a Singaporean citizen/permanent resident etc you won’t be able to transit in SIN.
I just saw the news :-o

So that effectively kills SQ as a viable carrier
Old Mar 22, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by florens
Yes, AY 2x daily A319 until end of June. Subject to change.
interesting. i have an AA booking first week of July. BA service is still in the booking, BCD cant find it and its not bookable on ba.com ... seems that i have to prepare for another schedule change
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime, AA 2M, Delta 2M, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Club, EK Platinum
Emirates is shutting down all passengers operations by 25 March. Can BA and other carriers be far behind?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
Just had a flight to Pisa cancelled for 15 April - not unexpected. In MMB it says unequivocally "To get a refund, by cancelling your booking, please call us" so not pretending a refund can be done on line.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by AlwaysOnTheRoad
Emirates is shutting down all passengers operations by 25 March. Can BA and other carriers be far behind?
Might just be the Chinese carriers flying soon
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Might just be the Chinese carriers flying soon
I thought it was the Chinese carriers that got us into this mess.

Too soon? OK, I'll get my coat.....
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:51 am

Apologies if this has been answered - have scrolled through the entire thread but there's a lot to take in. Our flights GLA-LAX has been cancelled. We booked Club class using an Amex 2for1 Companion voucher and paid for seat selection. Assuming we have the option of refund or voucher, does anyone know exactly what you get:

IF CHOOSING A REFUND
Taxes refunded (i.e. money)?
Extras (seat selection) refunded (i.e. money)?
Airmiles refunded?
Companion voucher re-activated (with extended life?)?

IF CHOOSING A VOUCHER
Assuming you can find Companion voucher seats on a future flight, do you get exactly the same options originally booked - Club Class, Seats Selected?.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV

I would suggest that if you really need to be in Australia you need to be on a flight tonight or tomorrow. Within a very few days the only likely exception is to be the direct QF flight between LHR and PER. Anybody's guess how long that will be continued for.
alexwuk likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Tom Cannavan
IF CHOOSING A REFUND
Taxes refunded (i.e. money)?
Extras (seat selection) refunded (i.e. money)?
Airmiles refunded?
Companion voucher re-activated (with extended life?)?

IF CHOOSING A VOUCHER
Assuming you can find Companion voucher seats on a future flight, do you get exactly the same options originally booked - Club Class, Seats Selected?.
It's yes to all the above, except there isn't a formal policy on the Companion Voucher. Some anecdotes suggest that extensions are being allowed.
Tom Cannavan likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL

I don't think you understand what's happening. Within a week it will likely be impossible to fly to Australia. So, do you need a week or to get you affairs in order or do you need to get back to Australia? Because it's most probably a choice between the two now.

If you do need to get back home: Forget the baggage allowance. Pack your stuff, book the first flight you can get and give any stuff above whatever baggage allowance the earliest ticket gives you to a mate to ship.

Your options are dwindling by the hour - get on with it, or accept being in the UK for a while.
DYKWIA and Flying Yazata like this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: BAEC
With Helsinki and Beirut now gone what routes do we think will get chopped?

My predictions are Billund, Milan-Bergamo or Milan Malpensa and maybe Sofia.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Refunded two HEL flights on FRI via the Javascript workaround, money back on my Amex card today.

Just a shame I couldn't get a refund for my NYC flight as I applied for a voucher and the flight was cancelled at the last minute.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by BAeuro
With Helsinki and Beirut now gone what routes do we think will get chopped?

My predictions are Billund, Milan-Bergamo or Milan Malpensa and maybe Sofia.

Beirut is a strange one to cut as summer loads are always very high and the fares could get a bit crazy.

This year is obviously going to be a very bad one for airlines. Nothing much is going to run for several months at least and it will be a very slow recovery when it comes. I imagine lots of routes will be cut for some time.

I note the UK government is using the 'N' word which is something we haven't heard for a very long time, if ever, from a Conservative government (Nationalisation for those who don't know).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.