Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:01 am

First ever long haul business class flights scheduled mid-June (CDG-YYZ / SFO-CDG on BA - travelling YYZ - YYC - LAS - SFO in between, using Westjet and Alaska Airlines). As my wife is in the vulnerable category, we wouldn't want to fly even if restrictions were lifted. What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of restrictions having been lifted by then?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by Avallon
First ever long haul business class flights scheduled mid-June (CDG-YYZ / SFO-CDG on BA - travelling YYZ - YYC - LAS - SFO in between, using Westjet and Alaska Airlines). As my wife is in the vulnerable category, we wouldn't want to fly even if restrictions were lifted. What are people's thoughts on the likelihood of restrictions having been lifted by then?
So many variables to predict, as each country will differ. I personally expect travel inside Europe to resume in the coming weeks (as in late April/May) but this is based off nothing other than my interpretation of reading the news, and there's so many conflicting models it really is anyones guess. I imagine models which dictate Government policy will be refined in the coming weeks once we see 3-4 weeks post-lockdown (Italy isn't even at 2 weeks yet). Outside Europe? I imagine it will be slower.

However, I assume the voucher offer will be extended beyond 31st May in the coming weeks. As there are too many variables, I assume the blanket approach will be taken by BA rather than refining which routes are eligible for a voucher and which aren't.

Wishing all the best for you and your wife. Hope you're getting the support required from your community to ensure you can both fully self-isolate for your wife.
Avallon likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by CharlesWindsorClive1964
So many variables to predict, as each country will differ. I personally expect travel inside Europe to resume in the coming weeks (as in late April/May) but this is based off nothing other than my interpretation of reading the news, and there's so many conflicting models it really is anyones guess. I imagine models which dictate Government policy will be refined in the coming weeks once we see 3-4 weeks post-lockdown (Italy isn't even at 2 weeks yet). Outside Europe? I imagine it will be slower.

However, I assume the voucher offer will be extended beyond 31st May in the coming weeks. As there are too many variables, I assume the blanket approach will be taken by BA rather than refining which routes are eligible for a voucher and which aren't.

Wishing all the best for you and your wife. Hope you're getting the support required from your community to ensure you can both fully self-isolate for your wife.
Thank you, that's very kind.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BA is progressively cancelling European flights on a rolling basis ... they’re up to about 4 May at the moment. With various Nations’ border restrictions, I woukd NOT expect Europe to be doing much in the foreseeable future. BA has parked up much of its fleet (see Wiki here >>> Covid-19 : Where will BA park their planes?)

My home airport (Jersey) is down from 5 rotations to one, and our JER-LGW-MLA (Malta) on 11 May is in the queue for cancellation!

Last edited by T8191; Mar 28, 2020 at 9:37 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: BAEC
I have a flight scheduled for the end of October, PHX to LHR, F class. This is first international F class for me and the first time to travel out of country for my OH. I am hopeful that this will all have calmed down by then. If the US and UK open their borders, we will be there.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BXK_Oz
I have a flight scheduled for the end of October, PHX to LHR, F class. This is first international F class for me and the first time to travel out of country for my OH. I am hopeful that this will all have calmed down by then. If the US and UK open their borders, we will be there.
I wish you both good luck! If there is a positive, I believe that PHX-LHR on BA is ‘cargo heavy’ and thus more likely to be a survivor.

I wish we could say the same for our BA F, LHR-IAD, in July, as currently POTUS won’t let we potentially-diseased Brits into the USA!! 😢
Old Mar 28, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: Varies
I apologise if this has already been discussed. I'm not on top form today and neither is my computer, so I'm finding it hard to scroll through and would appreciate some help.

This Independent article (dated today) says that BA are trying to persuade the government to allow them to issue vouchers instead of refunds in the event of them cancelling flights: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9429866.html

Has this already been discussed on FT, and if so, where can I find the discussion please? I'm playing chicken with BA for our 241 flight to SFO, outward bound on May 9th (on the 380 service). We don't want to fly, and I think the chance of our flight being cancelled is quite high given that BA cancelled the 380 services in April and kept the 747. We'd like the cash + avios + 241 voucher refunded rather than have a voucher.

I could just cancel today, get a refund rather than a voucher, and pay the £70 cancellation charge. £70 isn't a lot of money in the scheme of things, but until I read this article I thought I'd be able to wait a lot longer to see what happens.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:09 am

We are currently booked MAN > LHR > LAX > HNL May 2nd and then VVR > LHR > MAN May 19th. This was for a cruise that has now been cancelled so obviously we don't really want the flights. We have been sent the email offering a voucher but desperately need the refund (lot of money tied up in flights and my hols for rest of year already booked & paid for so would not be able to use flight voucher within 12 months). Praying that we get cancelled and if not then we will just have to see what the insurance can do. I am presuming that if just one of the legs gets cancelled then they can offer us cancellation on complete journey?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ttama
I could just cancel today, get a refund rather than a voucher, and pay the £70 cancellation charge. £70 isn't a lot of money in the scheme of things, but until I read this article I thought I'd be able to wait a lot longer to see what happens.
I can see airlines globally are wanting to do this, and I think some countries are going to allow it. But EC261 and Section 75 are baked into legislation, never mind the general principle of contract law given the Conditions of Carriage. Now HMG has taken wide ranging powers to temporarily intervene, but just because an airline has asked for this doesn't mean the government will allow it , given that it won't be universally well received by voters. Or the terms, so one possibility mentioned is to allow vouchers but have a sunset clause on them that after a given date they can be transferred to cash. The other factor is that for redemptions the situation is easier for the airlines than revenue (commercial) bookings, the latter is cash out the door, the former is more nuanced. Ultimately it's pure crystal ball stuff, no one knows, but if you are a risk adverse person then you would probably be looking to trade in the £35 redeposit fee to retain more flexibility.
Crampedin13A, T8191 and ttama like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by carolynn
We are currently booked MAN > LHR > LAX > HNL May 2nd and then VVR > LHR > MAN May 19th. This was for a cruise that has now been cancelled so obviously we don't really want the flights. We have been sent the email offering a voucher but desperately need the refund (lot of money tied up in flights and my hols for rest of year already booked & paid for so would not be able to use flight voucher within 12 months). Praying that we get cancelled and if not then we will just have to see what the insurance can do. I am presuming that if just one of the legs gets cancelled then they can offer us cancellation on complete journey?
yes, if any of the flights get cancelled you can get a full refund. tbh i would be surprised if you don't get at least one flight cancelled for your trip.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am presuming that if just one of the legs gets cancelled then they can offer us cancellation on complete journey?
Yes, or rather a cash refund would be possible. Given all the legs, some presumably on AA, it would be a tall order than they are maintained even in better times.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Was having a bit of a random play around on ba.com and noticed that the BA246 and BA 247 (LHR - GRU) are being cancelled from 31st March - most likely due to the new restrictions being imposed in Brasil. Just wanted to pass this on
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:38 am

Just to update - got an email this morning to say our LAX > HNL (via AA) had been cancelled so we had been booked onto another flight. This other flight was much earlier in the day and therefore there was no way we would be able to make it as we would be still enroute to LAX. Quick call to first this morning (our VVR > LHR > MAN was booked in First) to see if we could cancel.

At first, I was told since our flights were not flexible we couldn't cancel, but instead would have to be given another flight to HNL. When I questioned this, saying there wasn't another flight we could take (as ours was the last of the day), and under original terms of carriage I believed we did have the option to cancel (since there were no other same day options available), she went off to check and thankfully came back to confirm this was indeed possible. We also got our seat selection costs back. When I asked they said refunds were (understandably) taking longer atm and we would be looking at 14 days.
ens100 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Yesterday The Times’ Travel Doctor gave the following advice to a reader who was thinking of cancelling a flight. They were told they could ring BA and ask for a cash refund instead of a voucher for a cancelled flight. Surely the correct advice should be to wait until BA cancels the flight first?

T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Not a BA example, but a TA example. Trailfinders should have refunded my package to Vietnam (SQ was the carrier) by Thursday 26th.
They have not done so, despite the stuff on their website about Escrow accounts and "Trusts".
I have commenced Section 75 action with my BA Amex card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.