Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by kath00
So is BA automatically cancelling the flights for us? My early April flights are booked through Am Ex Platinum and I would hate to have to sit there and call them and take up space in the queue if they are just going to refund everyone automatically? My fight is SAN to LHR and back April 4-15th in first class x 2. I also have a stand alone business class tix for my son that I had to book thru BA directly because he is 15 only and flying back alone on the 12th so that would be something hopefully BA is cancelling on its own....
A number of BA Holidays bookings have been cancelled and refunded. Normally, BA flight cancellations do not result in a refund being issued until a refund is requested. As your bookings are not till early April you can safely wait as you have been advised over the last couple of days. Also, normally when BA has cancelled a flight you can cancel and receive a full refund online. Currently, all that is being offered online at the moment is a voucher. Currently, you will need to call for a full refund for your son's flight as those flights have been cancelled by BA. If you wait a few days as you have been advised the online cancellation option may return (Hawk777 says that this has been reported up the chain of command). Since you booked your flights through AMEX Travel have you contacted them to process your refund since the your BA flights have now been cancelled?

Also see the post regarding someone else's similar question:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32204258-post29.html

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Mar 18, 2020 at 5:38 pm Reason: add link
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
A number of BA Holidays bookings have been cancelled and refunded. Normally, BA flight cancellations do not result in a refund being issued until a refund is requested. As your bookings are not till early April you can safely wait as you have been advised over the last couple of days. Also, normally when BA has cancelled a flight you can cancel and receive a full refund online. Currently, all that is being offered online at the moment is a voucher. Currently, you will need to call for a full refund for your son's flight as those flights have been cancelled by BA. If you wait a few days as you have been advised the online cancellation option may return (Hawk777 says that this has been reported up the chain of command). Since you booked your flights through AMEX Travel have you contacted them to process your refund since the your BA flights have now been cancelled?
it's been reported but nothing expected to be done about it though
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Is the UK still completely wide open for people flying in from anywhere?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:05 pm

It was the strangest weekend I can remember. Beautiful blue skies in Berlin throughout. At various points when I was panicking, I found the calm sensible advice being offered by people on here to total strangers incredibly reassuring.

I don't post on here very often. I fly pretty frequently between Berlin and London and love doing so, but never feel I have much to contribute to these pages. But the level of kindness and generosity of spirit on the BA Board over the past few days has been brilliant.

It is clearly going to be a testing period for us all. We all need to keep looking after one another. Let's do it.
TheJayHatch likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Some LHR-JFK flights have been canceled included BA177 on 5 April. For that day, only 1x LGW-JFK and 2x LHR-JFK operates.

So, this means that BA would reduce frequency to the USA;
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska

Also see the post regarding someone else's similar question:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32204258-post29.html
Thanks for your reply. The thing about waiting is that we are out $20,000! And my CC bill is due. I need my refunds because with the COVID, no one's jobs are safe, least of all mine. So while I appreciate you all telling me to wait, there is a HUGE money factor in this and since clearly these flights are NOT happening, I would like to request the cancellation and full refund as soon as BA agrees to it. I am still unclear from these threads whether people are getting refunds. Full refunds with no strings attached, like vouchers, etc? The BA site actually still tells me that in giant red letters that "We are planning on operating your flight but check back often for COVID19 updates." LOL. So they are not much help at all. I am not sure if BA has actually cancelled these flights like they should either. Which is why I come to this thread to find out this info. To me when they say they are planning on operating my flight, I am assuming their computers have not updated their systems....
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Thanks for your reply. The thing about waiting is that we are out $20,000! And my CC bill is due. I need my refunds because with the COVID, no one's jobs are safe, least of all mine. So while I appreciate you all telling me to wait, there is a HUGE money factor in this and since clearly these flights are NOT happening, I would like to request the cancellation and full refund as soon as BA agrees to it. I am still unclear from these threads whether people are getting refunds. Full refunds with no strings attached, like vouchers, etc? The BA site actually still tells me that in giant red letters that "We are planning on operating your flight but check back often for COVID19 updates." LOL. So they are not much help at all. I am not sure if BA has actually cancelled these flights like they should either. Which is why I come to this thread to find out this info. To me when they say they are planning on operating my flight, I am assuming their computers have not updated their systems....
If BA cancels someone's flight before travel has started people are (1) calling and receiving a full refund; (2) requesting a voucher for future travel on BA, this can be done online; or (3) rescheduling their flights to another time. If BA has not cancelled your flight then you are not entitled to a full refund; your options are limited to a voucher or rescheduling travel to later this summer. Since you do not want a voucher, if your flights have not been cancelled by BA then you must wait until BA cancels your flights if you want a full refund. If you do not want to wait and BA has not cancelled your flight, then you are only entitled to a refund under the conditions of the ticket you purchased -- as you have discovered, this seems to involve significant penalties under the tickets you purchased through Amex Travel. As you purchased through Amex Travel you may have to seek the refund through them if your flights are ultimately cancelled.

If you read back a few pages of this thread and the Covid help no noise thread, you will see that a number of people have received full refunds by calling after BA has cancelled their flights. In a number of cases, people have waited for the flights to be cancelled. In the last couple of days I have submitted a couple of UK domestic flights for voucher as BA is continuing to operate the flights, I have rescheduled to this fall a transatlantic flight on a booking that has been partially flown, and waited for BA to cancel a transatlantic flight on 1 April -- which they have now done -- so that I can obtain a full refund; I will now call in a week or se to obtain the refund when things are hopefully less hectic for the call centre.
kath00 likes this.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Mar 18, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
To me when they say they are planning on operating my flight, I am assuming their computers have not updated their systems....
BA has to sort out the flights / travel arrangements for 2.5 million people before it gets to your departure date, and BA have so far concentrated its resources on those with the most immediate departure date. Now I would agree with you that as things stand it seems unlikely that the SAN-LHR service can operate for a long list of reasons, so a cancellation may come sooner or later. If you want certainty now, then you can have the voucher now. If you want cash, then you need to wait until it is shown as cancelled, either in MMB, or via
ba.com/schedules
or when you are within 10 days of departure:
ba.com/arrdep
Since flights appear to be cancelled already until 2 April, I suspect you will not have to wait too much longer.
kath00 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA/AA
The new normal flight path into LHR......

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ETat97zX...g&name=900x900
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I had a flight IAD to LHR scheduled for 8 April. Complicated, as this was a Cash + Avios into Club, then POUG using cash into First.

I've sat patiently waiting for this to be cancelled - which happened today. Thanks to everyone for the advice to sit still. OK, then it's time for the next step.
I go to Manage my Booking as directed, and see a nice "Cancel and Refund Flights" button. Tempting.
BUT - above that, it says the following:
"To get a refund, by cancelling your booking, please call us."

So, do I cancel online? Why does the guidance here say that I have to add to the call backlog? What's the consequences if I just hit cancel on the MMB site?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:06 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by gormless
So, do I cancel online? Why does the guidance here say that I have to add to the call backlog? What's the consequences if I just hit cancel on the MMB site?
If it is not offering you a Future Travel Voucher, but instead offers a Cancellation form then you are OK to use the Cancellation form. I think the Cancellation form asks for your address, the Future Travel Voucher definitely does not ask for your address. But you do have several weeks before you need to do anything.

The Future Travel Voucher Application wording is right on top of the screen in big letters - there isn't any ambiguity about that one.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it is not offering you a Future Travel Voucher, but instead offers a Cancellation form then you are OK to use the Cancellation form. I think the Cancellation form asks for your address, the Future Travel Voucher definitely does not ask for your address. But you do have several weeks before you need to do anything.

The Future Travel Voucher Application wording is right on top of the screen in big letters - there isn't any ambiguity about that one.
Based on this, I clicked on the "Cancel and Refund" and was directed to the voucher page. ("Future Travel Voucher Application").
So, Ok, sorry BA, Guess this is me joining the phone queue.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by gormless
Based on this, I clicked on the "Cancel and Refund" and was directed to the voucher page. ("Future Travel Voucher Application").
So, Ok, sorry BA, Guess this is me joining the phone queue.
Or try the form in post 435 in the main covid-19 rebooking thread.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JAXBA
Only if they paid in a foreign currency to begin with, and the credit card foreign exchange rates have moved enough to help.

If the original transaction was in the currency of your credit card to begin with, then the refund will be too. If exchange rates are involved at all on BA's side, they'll use historical ones per IATA convention.
I paid 2600 USD with PayPal. Lists it as dollars, so I should in theory get 2600 USD back. That is currently 25pc more valuable to me in Mexican pesos than I paid. It's nuts
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:12 am

Thank you so much to the responses to my question!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.