Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Blue
So I cancelled yesterday, but am still waiting for that confirmation email. However, when I went into the Avis app, the car shows as cancelled. As it was a combined BA Holiday booking, can I take that as a sign that the cancellation is through and that BA IT is simply overwhelmed? My flight would be this afternoon and I don't want to show up as a "no show"
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:53 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
So got a cancellation email from BA for my flight next month. It asked me to call them to gt a refund, but should I as my flight isn't in the next 72 hours?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GodAtum
So got a cancellation email from BA for my flight next month. It asked me to call them to gt a refund, but should I as my flight isn't in the next 72 hours?
I think wait for a week or so. You never know, the BA website might eventually allow for a cancellation and refund to be done online, as it should do, in the near future. Will save you your time and allow the call centre to deal with a more urgent request.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:25 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Originally Posted by kath00
Thanks for your reply. The thing about waiting is that we are out $20,000! And my CC bill is due. I need my refunds because with the COVID, no one's jobs are safe, least of all mine. So while I appreciate you all telling me to wait, there is a HUGE money factor in this and since clearly these flights are NOT happening, I would like to request the cancellation and full refund as soon as BA agrees to it. I am still unclear from these threads whether people are getting refunds. Full refunds with no strings attached, like vouchers, etc? The BA site actually still tells me that in giant red letters that "We are planning on operating your flight but check back often for COVID19 updates." LOL. So they are not much help at all. I am not sure if BA has actually cancelled these flights like they should either. Which is why I come to this thread to find out this info. To me when they say they are planning on operating my flight, I am assuming their computers have not updated their systems....
I was in the same situation a couple of days ago with 20k+ due for upcoming travels which now stand cancelled because of COVID-19
Getting through to Amex Travel is not easy. However there is a work around.
If you have a Platinum Card, call + 1800 443 7672 - this is the Platinum Services line and you can request them to put you on to the Amex Travel online queue.
Instead of a 2+ hour wait with Amex Travel Online - you will be on hold only for a few minutes.

Of course, this only works if you have a Platinum or Centurion card.

But this way, Amex refunds you immediately.
They have done so for me, even with no flight cancellations - I have been offered full no questions asked refunds for flights coming up in April...
(I am still waiting for the credit to show up but its only been 48 hours since I requested it so I am hopeful this will show on my statement shortly.)

As a backup you can always contest / question the charges and therefore get a temporary credit on your account to tide you over through your upcoming payment date.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
This maybe a silly question : LHR > Domestic UK is OK - right ?? Or does the "Only essential travel" guide apply ?
Might have a meeting in EDI next week (LHR-EDI-LHR) which is NOT essential but if we can then we will !
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flying to Edinburgh for a non-essential meeting is foolhardy in the current crisis. We're in the midst of a very serious situation.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
This maybe a silly question : LHR > Domestic UK is OK - right ?? Or does the "Only essential travel" guide apply ?
Might have a meeting in EDI next week (LHR-EDI-LHR) which is NOT essential but if we can then we will !
Whilst I am certainly not advocating that one does travel unnecessarily, the FCO advice is as follows:

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gave a statement advising against all non-essential travel overseas in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...-17-march-2020
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:35 am
Suspended

New system implanted for CALL centres. The request to call only if travelling in 72 hours is now basically a policy anyone calling and getting through not travelling in 72 hours will not be dealt with and asked to call back.

the phone message is being updated to say this to save people hanging on
flatlander and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Will BA deal with OTA bookings at the 72 hour point?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by THEOBCMAN
To put it bluntly and no offence intended...

Yes it’s a silly question. We should all start thinking of others. It’s not about individuals, the I’m ok therefore I can carry on attitude is not going to work in this crisis. it’s about teams and communities, society as whole. Stay at home and stay healthy.

There will always be another meeting.

P.S people can always try a great app called Zoom for online conference meetings

Last edited by rockflyertalk; Mar 19, 2020 at 6:20 am
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Whilst I am certainly not advocating that one does travel unnecessarily, the FCO advice is as follows:

See here: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/t...-17-march-2020
FCO stands for Foreign & Commonwealth Office - it by definition concerns itself with overseas rather than domestic matters as they affect the UK , and thus will have nothing specific to say on the subject of flights to Edinburgh (until such time as Scotland becomes independent )

Other branches of the government have cautioned against public assembly and unnecessary travel (work from home, etc.).

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. If, in the next few days London is locked down and goes into some kind of curfew/martial law situation (it could happen!), then that quick blast up to EDI to do nothing in particular looks a bit foolish
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Rant ending with a question..

Got my flight to ARN cancelled, decided to rebook for a future date, looking through all of April outbound flights was very limited, and the ones available was at silly a clock, inbound ones were more plentiful dock, do that have to do with the original fare bucket? If so, that is silly, especially since BA did the cancellations.

Anyway, after spending 1h on trial and error or different dates and finally found something doable, the system refuses to do th rebooking, both online and in the app, due to unknown error!! Not sure if it's BA IT out to get me, high volumes or whatever... Well, rant over, I feel a tad better, and got a question in, does original fare bucket matter, should I be able to rebook online if I try later?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Knodde
Got my flight to ARN cancelled, decided to rebook for a future date, looking through all of April outbound flights was very limited, and the ones available was at silly a clock, inbound ones were more plentiful dock, do that have to do with the original fare bucket? If so, that is silly, especially since BA did the cancellations.

Anyway, after spending 1h on trial and error or different dates and finally found something doable, the system refuses to do th rebooking, both online and in the app, due to unknown error!! Not sure if it's BA IT out to get me, high volumes or whatever... Well, rant over, I feel a tad better, and got a question in, does original fare bucket matter, should I be able to rebook online if I try later?
Why are you trying to fly in April? Most of Europe won't even hit the peak of infections rate until April. The current emergency is not likely to be over for a number of months. Attempting to book anything this side of June (and more likely July/August) seems like a triumph of optimism over realism.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver

Workaround found! How to trigger an online Avios flight refund using Google Chrome

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/03/19/how-to-trigger-an-online-avios-flight-refund-using-google-chrome/

May save some time for a few
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Knodde

rebooking a cancelled flight you'll be booked in the same cabin in same or lowest class available

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.