Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Yes, I've just received the same e-mail regarding a flight to Vienna on April 2nd. Austria has also banned entry from the UK. It's either incredibly cynical or incredibly incompetent behaviour on the part of BA.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:15 am

BA has zeroed out availability but I don't see that it has been cancelled yet. So it's a bit strong to accuse them of lying at this point.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think there is something of a temptation to think that BA has this vast numbers of staff, constantly checking this fast moving situation and sending careful emails, personally targeted, to each and every customer which nimbly addresses their concerns.

Over the in real world, BA are being as helpful as they can in terms of Massive Means. Honestly, imagine what this forum would be like if there were no eVouchers? We get enough worrying about flights way off in the distance, we also have people trying to get to a contact centre. If this eVoucher proposal doesn't work for you, fine. It may work for others.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Received the same for an itinerary where the flight already had been cancelled and I had requested a refund already.

BA occasionally show incompetence during normal operation, I would not hold emails sent out during a crisis against them. Everyone is trying their best in a difficult environment, sometimes things go wrong.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:20 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Saunmj
Sorry should have been clearer - the travel date is April 6th!

Upon reading that could have been taken as the date I booked it!
Indeed that was what wasn't clear to me. In this case I'd have another look at the situation at the beginning of April, the script may well write itself.
Saunmj likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by mr_moon
The section I have made bold is an outright lie by BA.
I suggest that "fast changing situation" needs bolding in everyone's mind while they post here, too.
adrianlondon and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
The cynic in me thinks BA ushing the vouchers is a pure cash flow preservation measure. However right now I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are just drowning in issues and will catch up eventually!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Just got this:

Dear Customer,

We understand that you may have questions about your upcoming travel at the moment, and we wanted to reassure you that we’re working around the clock to help our customers get to where they need to be.

We’re working closely with the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) to continue flying, where travel restrictions allow and where it is safe to do so.

Your flight to Las Vegas on 02 April 2020 is currently due to depart as planned, however due to the fast changing situation, we wanted to let you know that if you’d like to change the date or destination of your trip - you can apply for a voucher online here. This can be redeemed against future travel, for flights taken within 12 months of your original date of departure.

If you are midway through your journey and wish to change your dates of travel, please go to Manage My Booking. If you’re away from home and wish to return imminently, one-way fares to many destinations are available directly on ba.com.

If you’ve booked through a travel agent, please contact them directly.

Before you fly, please continue to check Manage My Booking for the very latest status of your flight.

For the latest information on coronavirus, including answers to frequently asked questions, please go to  www.ba.com/coronavirus.   

Thank you for choosing to fly with us, we appreciate this is a stressful time for many of our customers and we’d like to thank you for your understanding during these unprecedented times.

British Airways
Still, its annoying me, I dont need a travel voucher, its an avios flight, just let me cancel the damn thing online!!

EDIT:

even stranger, when I log into my account I get this:

We can't find any bookings for this account.

You can add a booking by entering your booking reference below.

If you have just made or added a booking, this may take a few minutes to appear in your account.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I got the same email about my flight to EZE in early April. That flight falls within the period in that Argentina's government has banned flights from the UK, but remains (as yet) uncanceled in BA's systems.

BA have seemingly adopted a policy of deliberately not cancelling flights even after their government approvals to fly on those dates have been withdrawn. This may well be to give BA a cashflow advantage by not having to refund money until near the day of departure, despite the knowledge that the flights are highly unlikely to go ahead as planned.

Nowhere in the email does it state or even suggest that if you chose the Voucher you would still get a refund should the originally booked flight be cancelled.

Leaving aside BA's cynicism in not cancelling flights when governments have already outlawed them; I find sending customers emails stating "your flight is currently scheduled to go ahead" in these circumstances reprehensible. It gives severely misleading information and false hope to customers at the height of wider uncertainty.

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Has anyone seen anything specific, official, they can link to regarding transit and UK Passport Holders?

I've got so many good sources in SIN and UK, but no-one has a clue?

Edit - sorry, I thought I was in the SQ forum, so ignore. I won't delete in case someone has relevant info! Admin, feel free. One of those days/weeks/months.

​​​​

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mr_moon
I have a flight booked on Wednesday 18th March from LHR to WAW. As Poland has stopped all international air and train travel, this flight will obviously not be going ahead. BA are fully aware of this and are no longer selling any tickets for this flight. Despite this, BA have not yet officially cancelled the flight and have just sent out an email saying the following:

The section I have made bold is an outright lie by BA. They are clearly trying to manipulate customers into taking the voucher instead of getting a cash refund. Are things really that desperate for BA that they're going for a short term cash grab instead of providing fair customer service (telling the truth!)??
Well, its 11:34 (26 minutes after your post) and according the BA App the LHR-WAW flights on 18-March are cancelled.

Doc Copper

Originally Posted by aceman
even stranger, when I log into my account I get this:
Has the flight been cancelled perhaps? Otherwise see the mutliple posts upthread.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Has anyone seen anything specific, official, they can link to regarding transit and UK Passport Holders?

I've got so many good sources in SIN and UK, but no-one has a clue?
I think we will need more detail. Which country, airline and route did you have in mind?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexwuk
I got the same email about my flight to EZE in early April. That flight falls within the period in that Argentina's government has banned flights from the UK, but remains (as yet) uncanceled in BA's systems.

BA have seemingly adopted a policy of deliberately not cancelling flights even after their government approvals to fly on those dates have been withdrawn. This may well be to give BA a cashflow advantage by not having to refund money until near the day of departure, despite the knowledge that the flights are highly unlikely to go ahead as planned.

Nowhere in the email does it state or even suggest that if you chose the Voucher you would still get a refund should the originally booked flight be cancelled.

Leaving aside BA's cynicism in not cancelling flights when governments have already outlawed them; I find sending customers emails stating "your flight is currently scheduled to go ahead" in these circumstances reprehensible. It gives severely misleading information and false hope to customers at the height of wider uncertainty.
I am in a similar situation. I spoke to a lady on the phone, whilst urgently rearranging a flight home from the US. She advised that it would be prudent to not cancel and take a voucher, but to wait until BA cancel the flight so I could get a cash refund.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
You are aware that not just Argentina is affected by the covid-19 situation? OK, that's a bit blunt, but the Argentina issue is just a few days old, and yes, BA is behind the curve but I bet they were not given a week's notice to prepare for this. With a million passengers due to fly this week on BA, I think it's going to be the case that those travelling today will get the most accurate information.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.