Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Storm Ciara, the third and most significant UK storm of the winter, is due to land on the night of Saturday 8 February and have an impact on transport provisions on Sunday 9 February. The whole of the UK and Ireland is in scope but the south of the UK may well bear the brunt. Posts 56 gives general advice, post 66 has the customer guideline for shorthaul services, which allows European travel to be be moved to 4 alternative dates. For cancelled services go to post 302 for LHR and post 292 for LGW., post 261 for LCY
Print Wikipost

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mario
Not only it wasn't working about an hour ago for online changes, the agent who picked up my call from the GGL team wasn't aware of these guidelines.
Ooops, oh well that's why we have Flyertalk I guess. Thank you for checking.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Has anyone tried a dummy online change in MMB to see if they have enabled self service? I'm not flying tomorrow.
I'm on the 13:15 TRN-LGW tomorrow, and my MMB is asking £88 (£100 change fee + negative £12 fare) to make the change to 11FEB.

Last edited by groenroos; Feb 8, 2020 at 3:32 am Reason: maths is hard
Old Feb 8, 2020, 3:58 am
TGC

Programs: BA GGL
My wife was booked tomorrow from JER to LGW, she tried changing the booking online, to today but it wanted to charge a fee, but on the phone they made the change to today without any charge.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:06 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
If it was proper legit wouldn’t it be on the BA homepage ?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Ooops, oh well that's why we have Flyertalk I guess. Thank you for checking.
It didn’t work for my GLA-LGW-BOD either.

My morning flight will be on a night-stopped aircraft - does that mean it is less likely to be cancelled or does that make no difference?

Ideally if I make it to LGW it at least opens up other ways of getting to BOD even if it isn’t by air.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Well it is showing there, but you certainly need to know where to look. If you hover over the Help button on the right, and again on the right on the pop up frame, you will see "Adverse weather across the United Kingdom".

The actual link is here:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...b?p_faqid=8034
Vinotraveller and madfish like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:14 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Your post implies that CWS is not passing on legitimate information. That's a pretty poor position to take.

One agent not being aware (they may have just come on shift) doesn't mean it isn't legitimate.

As for not being on the homepage, would they want to advertise this widely until they know a bit more about what is happening with specific flights?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Vinotraveller
It didn’t work for my GLA-LGW-BOD either.

My morning flight will be on a night-stopped aircraft - does that mean it is less likely to be cancelled or does that make no difference?
For a trip like that then I'd not expect MMB to work. For a straightforward JER-LGW then it seems silly to have to call up. But then checking the information so far provided they haven't specifically said that MMB will work. My guess they are not that agile in this area yet, alternatively on Reactive guidelines they prefer to manage / filter changes. If a flight is cancelled then it is no longer Reactive and so hopefully self service will work.

Being nightstopped helps to a degree, not least because you can check the LGW-GLA element this evening. They will then have an aircraft in GLA and a crew, so that helps, and in my experience BA either cancels the night stop service north today - which you will find out soon - or they will do their best to maintain both services, with a bias to the latter option. Having said that, if the wind is simply too strong for safe normal operations then it doesn't greatly matter, flights will be cancelled. LGW is more on the storm path in terms of impact, but doesn't run at 99.7% capacity.
Vinotraveller likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:19 am

Looking at the forecasts Heathrow is going to be at or just over pretty much every airliners crosswind limit all day with some periods well above.

If the forecast is correct I would expect very little to be flying tomorrow. Gatwick is similar but the runway direction may help a tiny bit.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:21 am

Originally Posted by madfish
Your post implies that CWS is not passing on legitimate information. That's a pretty poor position to take.
Just to clarify that ahmet and I are on friendly terms, it's not what he meant (but perhaps a few extra words would have helped....). Your other points are well made, I'd imagine the agent is still wading through all the emails relating to China and hadn't got on top of things.
LCY8737, wrp96 and alex67500 like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Just been to T3, happy to move us, but no First seats available before our 14.15 flight.

So can't change us.

Did say that an awful lot of flights are cancelled (having just checked with her manager) and they expect people not to make connections etc.

So need to go back at 4.30am!!

No flights have been announced yet, but many are already cancelled apparently.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Just been to T3, happy to move us, but no First seats available before our 14.15 flight.

So can't change us.

Did say that an awful lot of flights are cancelled (having just checked with her manager) and they expect people not to make connections etc.

So need to go back at 4.30am!!

if you are on long haul (assuming as you are in F) then i would be a lot less worried and tbh just stick with what you have. the brunt of delays and cancellations will be short haul tomorrow. I would just go to T3 at the normal time for your flight.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Thanks for the helpful update. It would be helpful though if this could be offered online or through call centres given that in a lot of cases travelling to the airport will be significant detour to the railway station.

Do you know if Euro Traveller books into Standard Class and Club Europe into First Class?
I don’t know how the class mapping works I’m afraid.

The airport-only restriction is for two reasons, firstly standard IATA disruption rebooking rules that often limit certain actions to airports (though there is work to improve this currently going through IATA), secondly the need to process through FLY as a voucher. Of course it would be great if it could be more flexible, but as many domestic pax are connecting anyway and many of the point-to-point ones will simply choose not to travel, it doesn’t actually affect all that many people.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Looking at the forecasts Heathrow is going to be at or just over pretty much every airliners crosswind limit all day with some periods well above.

If the forecast is correct I would expect very little to be flying tomorrow. Gatwick is similar but the runway direction may help a tiny bit.
Would you have the same view with STN?

I am on the twice-a-week STN-TXL tomorrow. Phoned in and asked to be re-booked on tonight's last LHR-TXL only to be told that the re-booking clause doesn't apply to STN (only LHR, LGW and LCY). According to BA operations ,STN will not be affected by the crosswinds.

Can I remain confident on this?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Typically what happens is they create a list of ‘cancellation nominations’ which they then use if required but don’t if they’re not. Perhaps a nuanced distinction, but one worth making - your post implies they’re keeping information from customers who would be affected, which is perhaps a little unfair if the flights may not yet actually be cancelled - as soon as they actually are, notifications go out immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.