Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Storm Ciara, the third and most significant UK storm of the winter, is due to land on the night of Saturday 8 February and have an impact on transport provisions on Sunday 9 February. The whole of the UK and Ireland is in scope but the south of the UK may well bear the brunt. Posts 56 gives general advice, post 66 has the customer guideline for shorthaul services, which allows European travel to be be moved to 4 alternative dates. For cancelled services go to post 302 for LHR and post 292 for LGW., post 261 for LCY
Print Wikipost

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I am monitoring the usual sources but there isn't a Customer Guideline for this, nor is there a HAL direction out as far as I can tell. There is a routine ops telephone call tomorrow which may give an early indication. Basically there are 3 scenarios, not mutually exclusive

- Customer guideline issued a day or two in advance
- Proactive cancellations, typically 16:00 hrs the day before travel (those flying need to ensure their privacy settings are OK to receive messages and their contact details are up to date)
- "Suck it and see", where BA does their best to maintain the schedule and takes any irrops on the day.

All of them have advantages and disadvantages, there is no perfect answer here.

Originally Posted by 11yaa
OMG.. I’m connecting through LHR right around the time when wind gusts are likely to be 55mph+ around noon. I’ll be flying in on an A350 and supposed to be out on a B789. I am hoping that these gusts do not place the aircraft out of their operating ranges. I’m resigned to the blood curling turbulence in and out.
I would have thought that those 2 aircraft, plus the whalejet herself the A380 and la reine 747 are among the better aircraft to avoid that fast-rising-lift feeling + neck jolt. As opposed to the Saab turbo-prop....
aks120 and alex67500 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Due to arrive LHR early Monday (6-something) from AUH. Up to the NW for a couple of days then back to London on Wed night

Think I might cancel my LHR-MAN-LHR RFS bookings on Mon & Wed and spend a few Hertz reward points instead
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
The latest charts show the front coming through a little quicker; this gives the potential for slightly higher gusts in the SE. lets see what tomorrow shows
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by smckay
There is some interesting weather heading our way in the coming days; it looks like it'll impact LHR/LGW on Sunday. The Met Office have published some early warnings: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...5-400e5aa93aa7

It is one to watch if you are due to travel. I will update this as the models firm up their agreement about the likely high gusts and timings.

smckay
For those of you who paid attention in geography at school you'll know what this is!!
https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/c...assical_europe

Batten down the hatches folks
ML
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mountlodge
For those of you who paid attention in geography at school you'll know what this is!!
.....a storm?

Ok, you got me, I didn’t pay attention in geography....
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
https://www.ecmwf.int/en/forecasts/c...assical_europe

Batten down the hatches folks
ML
I'm finding the Windy app/site is one of the most useful site out there at the moment. Great for aviation, sailing and more generally. Lots of options www.windy.com
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
I Remember being on the flight deck of a HS748 with a steady +50kt Xwind on a fam flight to Stornoway in the mid 80s. It was also a wet runway just to make it really interesting. We were also returning an "islander" home in his/her heavy wooden coffin. It's an understatement to say the undertakers struggled not to drop the coffin and occupant.

The whole trip went GLA-STO-INV-STO-GLA and was probably the sportiest day I've ever spent on a plane.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
.....a storm?

Ok, you got me, I didn’t pay attention in geography....
Simply put; the closer together the black lines the more you need to batten down the hatches.

ML
Kgmm77 and gliderpilot like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As opposed to the Saab turbo-prop....
That's twice you've mentioned the Saab 2000. I take it you had a particular experience?...

My own Saab 2000 experience was a very smooth ABZ/LSI day return a few Augusts ago, for a little Shetland sight-seeing.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Due to arrive at 10:15 on Sunday from ORD. I will be keeping an eye on those tailwinds.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by TedToToe
Due to arrive at 10:15 on Sunday from ORD. I will be keeping an eye on those tailwinds.
Expect 200Kt tailwinds and a pretty fast journey!

Edit to add: for those interested, weather.us is a great site for model forecast and observations, e.g. https://weather.us/model-charts/stan...209-1300z.html
TedToToe likes this.

Last edited by smckay; Feb 6, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA *G
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

I would have thought that those 2 aircraft, plus the whalejet herself the A380 and la reine 747 are among the better aircraft to avoid that fast-rising-lift feeling + neck jolt. As opposed to the Saab turbo-prop....
From your lips to God’s ears. Hope the A350 and the 789 can make it through the storm.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
For once on a 6 nations weekend there’ll be something windier than Eddie Jones
Do you mean me, or the actual wind?!!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:32 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by TedToToe
This is the current speed of the jet stream at its core:

Expect the same or slightly higher sunday. At this speed your plane could reach a ground speed of close to 1300 km/h, meaning a travel time ORD-LHR that could be sub 6:30-hours.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Must be on for track for some very long westbound departures at those speeds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.