Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Storm Ciara, the third and most significant UK storm of the winter, is due to land on the night of Saturday 8 February and have an impact on transport provisions on Sunday 9 February. The whole of the UK and Ireland is in scope but the south of the UK may well bear the brunt. Posts 56 gives general advice, post 66 has the customer guideline for shorthaul services, which allows European travel to be be moved to 4 alternative dates. For cancelled services go to post 302 for LHR and post 292 for LGW., post 261 for LCY
Print Wikipost

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

There is some interesting weather heading our way in the coming days; it looks like it'll impact LHR/LGW on Sunday. The Met Office have published some early warnings: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...5-400e5aa93aa7

It is one to watch if you are due to travel. I will update this as the models firm up their agreement about the likely high gusts and timings.

smckay
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by smckay
There is some interesting weather heading our way in the coming days; it looks like it'll impact LHR/LGW on Sunday. The Met Office have published some early warnings: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...5-400e5aa93aa7

It is one to watch if you are due to travel. I will update this as the models firm up their agreement about the likely high gusts and timings.

Thanks for the warning. I'm due to make a connection at LGW on Sunday so keeping my fingers crossed that I don't end up stranded !

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 5, 2020 at 1:00 pm Reason: Repair quotation frame
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
excellent I'm flying into Amsterdam Sunday morning. Then onto Heathrow.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Great, I'm due to fly through LGW on both Saturday and Sunday...
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:46 am
Original Poster

If you are flying in from NA over the weekend, you might have a shorter flight with some strong 200Kt tailwinds.
People more knowledgeable than me will confirm, but if the gusts are mainly west to east, the impact should be less than any crosswinds would cause. Now, if they are really strong, then direction becomes a moot point!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Doesn't bode well for my morning GLA-LGW-BOD on Sunday!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
I'm hoping there won't be any knock-on effects. NCL-LHR on Monday, LGW-FNC on Tuesday... please keep us updated smckay ! I may need to dredge my memory for reading synoptic charts and TAFs
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:28 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
5 flights over the weekend...what could possibly go wrong!

M
SKRan, wrp96, patersoj and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Peak gusts on Sunday afternoon for the UK; taken from:

Good luck with the TAFs, never my forte!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:54 am

HEL-LHR-AMS on Sunday: looks more like from HEL into hell instead. Fingers crossed and thanks for the updates here. I’ll keep a close eye on it.

Stan
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Concorde Room Card, Hilton Diamond
I'm due into LCY on Sunday. Erk.

Doesn't bode for a tiny little Embraer 190!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Glad I escaped just in time
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I thought it was forecast to cause disruption on Saturday as well. Currently contemplating a trip to Madrid on Saturday just wondering if that’s going to be affected too.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:31 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Come on guys it really doesn’t look bad maybe some delays due to increased aircraft spacing, most affecting BA due to the number of flights they operate in LHR.

and no I am not arm-chairing it, I’m flying out from LHR on Friday and back on Sunday both with BA!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I thought it was forecast to cause disruption on Saturday as well. Currently contemplating a trip to Madrid on Saturday just wondering if that’s going to be affected too.
Not for the SE IMO, but yes for other areas of the UK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.