Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Storm Ciara, the third and most significant UK storm of the winter, is due to land on the night of Saturday 8 February and have an impact on transport provisions on Sunday 9 February. The whole of the UK and Ireland is in scope but the south of the UK may well bear the brunt. Posts 56 gives general advice, post 66 has the customer guideline for shorthaul services, which allows European travel to be be moved to 4 alternative dates. For cancelled services go to post 302 for LHR and post 292 for LGW., post 261 for LCY
Print Wikipost

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
New Update to Customer Guidelines - just released so if you call the Contact Centre mention it's only just come out.

However it is for SHORTHAUL only if your flight is currently shown as operating.

If you are due to travel on 9 January you can now rebook to travel on Saturday 8th, alternatively 11, 12 or 13 February. Note! not 10 February, so clearly BA are expecting at least knock-on effects.

This is for BA 125 issued tickets, sold on or before 7 February, no rerouting allowed, no refunds, but Avios / redemptions are in scope. Think carefully, you are only allowed one change at least in theory.

Try to do this online, it may be that they have unblocked your ticket to allow changes, there may be an intermediate screen suggesting there is a fee, but the last screen should make it clear it is a free change. If not, then call up.
Firstly, thanks for all your helpful posts!

I got to the final screen to change a Sunday booking and the system asked for my credit card details.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Firstly, thanks for all your helpful posts!

I got to the final screen to change a Sunday booking and the system asked for my credit card details.
Time to call up BA! Thanks for checking this though, I guess they haven't updated bookings yet (and the guidelines only came out a few hours ago).
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:34 pm

Adding a note here to remind those who haven’t had the pleasure yet that BA now has a disruption rebooking agreement with LNER for east coast domestic destinations (i.e. LBA, NCL, INV, ABZ, EDI), so if - as usual - these are the first flights to go, you do have alternative non-flight options. ONLY the airport can authorise these, not call centres, so don’t bother phoning, just go to the desk.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA have 4 flights from Mlaga on Sunday, 2 to LGW, 1 to LCY and the other to LHR. Now usually LGW are reasonably good at maintaining services, LCY less so. I doubt all 4 services would go, but I guess you could look at other airlines instead, as well as Iberia via MAD. So if you are able to stay on top of this thread and you can be flexible I think you would be OK. But to answer the question the Guideline above does indeed allow you to rebook the Sunday flight to Saturday if you wish. It may work online, but if not you may want to call (if necessary using Skype and the USA telephone number).
Thank you. We have no other commitments than work on Monday and can get home from any of the London airports with very little bother. We're at LGW currently (and out on the 0730 flight) so we'll see how things are in the morning and go from there I think given how early we'll be up!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
Adding a note here to remind those who havent had the pleasure yet that BA now has a disruption rebooking agreement with LNER for east coast domestic destinations (i.e. LBA, NCL, INV, ABZ, EDI), so if - as usual - these are the first flights to go, you do have alternative non-flight options. ONLY the airport can authorise these, not call centres, so dont bother phoning, just go to the desk.
From LNER: "Very high winds are forecasted across the UK on Sunday 9 February 2020. We are expecting this to cause significant disruption to LNER services. and we will be running a reduced timetable . We are advising you not to travel on Sunday 9 February."
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
Adding a note here to remind those who havent had the pleasure yet that BA now has a disruption rebooking agreement with LNER for east coast domestic destinations (i.e. LBA, NCL, INV, ABZ, EDI), so if - as usual - these are the first flights to go, you do have alternative non-flight options. ONLY the airport can authorise these, not call centres, so dont bother phoning, just go to the desk.
Thanks for the helpful update. It would be helpful though if this could be offered online or through call centres given that in a lot of cases travelling to the airport will be significant detour to the railway station.

Do you know if Euro Traveller books into Standard Class and Club Europe into First Class?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
If my Sunday flight back to London at the end of a BA holiday is pulled should I call the BA Holidays duty number or the main BA number (assuming in this case little chance of online rebooking working)?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 4:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lcylocal
If my Sunday flight back to London at the end of a BA holiday is pulled should I call the BA Holidays duty number or the main BA number (assuming in this case little chance of online rebooking working)?
Definitely the Duty number, that's what it is there for.
cbagent and lcylocal like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:01 pm

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Bit of advice please, I'm doing a B2B tier point run on Sunday, typical its the last flights I need.

I don't have the time to do the flights later next week, Am I out of luck about getting the tier points?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Your year ends tomorrow, 8 Feb?

If so, in your shoes I think I'd plan to fly as booked. If you get to fly, all is well. If your flights are canx, then you can try for ORC.

If you get disrupted downroute, use the toothbrush and spare clothes you brought with you just in case, and enjoy the adventure!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by flatlander
To AMS (specfically), expect massive delays and ground holds because Schiphol is chronically incapable of handling wind over about 15kt no matter the orientation to the runway. Use the toilet before boarding, bring hydration and entertainment with you, and check for an unusual difference between predicted arrival and predicted departure (longer than the usual flight time + time difference).

Schiphol is a most unreliable airport.
Great I'm in & out of there tomorrow morning!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA *G
Im stunned that BA is only moving to protect short haul passengers from potential disruptions tomorrow. What about those flying in and out Long haul? Im flying in on and out on A350 and B789 and with current advisories Im entirely SOL if the weather exceeds either aircraft minimums.

From the weather maps - the storm system looks huge and covers most of NW Europe. Whats a typical diversion station for Long haul BA flights coming in from the subcontinent - CDG? FRA? Im wondering if I have to plan to spend the night in a diversion station.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:31 pm

BA has only 1 flight in and out of HEL. Any chance they would let me rebook on AY to get directly to AMS or BRU on Sunday afternoon instead of connecting in LHR?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Not sure if this is helpful to anyone as a data point but we've just re-booked our AGP-LGW flight from tomorrow to today. Means just a day trip and losing a hotel but better than getting stuck on this occasion!

We used the ticket desk at Gatwick and the lady who helped us said there was definitely no refund option currently, but the change was processed very easily.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by StanStorby
BA has only 1 flight in and out of HEL. Any chance they would let me rebook on AY to get directly to AMS or BRU on Sunday afternoon instead of connecting in LHR?
I'd look at this flight as a potential to be cancelled. There are many AY flights that day which could be utilised. I cant see an issue with you being put on an AY flight if the BA one is cancelled. At the same time, depending on the level of Disruption, AY may also need to cancel some flights.

A case of watch this space.
StanStorby likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.