Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Storm Ciara, the third and most significant UK storm of the winter, is due to land on the night of Saturday 8 February and have an impact on transport provisions on Sunday 9 February. The whole of the UK and Ireland is in scope but the south of the UK may well bear the brunt. Posts 56 gives general advice, post 66 has the customer guideline for shorthaul services, which allows European travel to be be moved to 4 alternative dates. For cancelled services go to post 302 for LHR and post 292 for LGW., post 261 for LCY
Print Wikipost

Sunday 9 Feb Weather - Disruption [BA flight assistance and information only please]

Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The consumer (Met Office) forecast for LHR on Sunday has 80-90% chance of heavy cloud and rain with winds from around the S-W in the 25 mph gusting 50mph range. That's likely to lead to some turbulent approaches and some quite sporting landing conditions.

Better an A380 than an Embraer in those conditions!

With a forecast for the same sort of conditions at City, prepare to depart for City but arrive in Southend!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:33 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
TATL might be sporty too, the jet stream will be really strong. Currenl forecast for LHR are wind 25 kt gust 60 kt.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I will be reporting on how sporty my takeoffs and landings in a BA A320 will be!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Talking of 'sporty', Storm Ciara likely to impact the Calcutta Cup at Murrayfield (EDI if you prefer) on Saturday afternoon (kick off @ 1645).

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-u...-by-met-office
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Any help we can get is always greatly received!
BA235 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Radisson Gold
Not overly worried about my AA109 on Sunday morning, but I will have 3 hours at LAX before the next flight to SFO so, if it's really delayed, I hope there is a spare seat in one of the two remaining flights to SFO.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by ba_cityflyer
I'm due into LCY on Sunday. Erk.

Doesn't bode for a tiny little Embraer 190!
Could be worse - you could be on a 170!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zappomatic
Could be worse - you could be on a 170!
Could be worse - you could be on a BACF's IOM service in a Loganair leased Saab 2000 turbo prop. And their flight crews take a robust approach to wet and windies.
EuropeanPete and yellow_peril like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:14 am

Programs: BA GOLD
yesterday I saw a link for a very good website which broke down the following few days wind strengths by the hour but an't fot the life of me remember what the site is - appreciate any suggestions for something similar. TIA.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Brighterside
yesterday I saw a link for a very good website which broke down the following few days wind strengths by the hour but an't fot the life of me remember what the site is - appreciate any suggestions for something similar. TIA.
The Met Office does it in three hour sections. This is the current forecast for London on Sunday:-

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...v07#2020-02-09

Brighterside likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Brighterside
The BBC weather app has that feature. It gives you temps, chances of rainfall, and wind strength and direction, all hourly for about 10 days.
Brighterside likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
windy.com is one of the sites that have animated wind speeds and forecasts.
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Talking of 'sporty', Storm Ciara likely to impact the Calcutta Cup at Murrayfield (EDI if you prefer) on Saturday afternoon (kick off @ 1645).

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-u...-by-met-office

Yes - I will be there at Murrayfield, then flying back to LHR on Sunday morning, complete with hangover! I suspect it's going to be a cold, wet and bumpy weekend
T8191 and MM00LL2 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Yes - I will be there at Murrayfield, then flying back to LHR on Sunday morning, complete with hangover! I suspect it's going to be a cold, wet and bumpy weekend
For once on a 6 nations weekend there’ll be something windier than Eddie Jones
GeeMac, Kgmm77, BA235 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: UA *G
OMG.. I’m connecting through LHR right around the time when wind gusts are likely to be 55mph+ around noon. I’ll be flying in on an A350 and supposed to be out on a B789. I am hoping that these gusts do not place the aircraft out of their operating ranges. I’m resigned to the blood curling turbulence in and out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.