Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
. I hope we can all be courteous and sympathetic to them. After all, they don't make the policy, and they do not need the 'attitude' from us.
Well said.

A little more understanding from the likes of the oaf who BBC quoted tcomplaining that BA's twitter people hadn't responded after 90 minutes is needed.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:14 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
A couple of points.
1. I agree about the call centre folk. I hope they encounter nice pax. Must be a tough time.
I wonder whether or not they will get anything from BA to thank them?
2. The idea that Ayling was chased out of BA by TUs is an, er, "interesting" view of history.
3. CWS is doing a brilliant job on the other thread. BA ought to give him and his family (and any teddy bears) free flights for life.
4. I agree that knowing some more of the facts would help us understand and take a view on this horrible dispute.
5. Why are BAs comms about the cancellations so ANGRY?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ClosetoLHR
Now that the strike has been called, and people are coming to this thread for information on what to do, can we keep this sort of political commentary off the thread?
Ironic that you’ve chosen to make this request on a post criticising BALPA rather than one of the (far more numerous) attacking Alex Cruz.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
God forbid anyone should be allowed to know the facts, and then be allowed to make an informed decision on the merits of the dispute.
Then ask BA
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:18 am

What phone number are people calling in on?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
A couple of points.
1. I agree about the call centre folk. I hope they encounter nice pax. Must be a tough time. Yes indeed
I wonder whether or not they will get anything from BA to thank them? I won't hold your breath
2. The idea that Ayling was chased out of BA by TUs is an, er, "interesting" view of history.
3. CWS is doing a brilliant job on the other thread. BA ought to give him and his family (and any teddy bears) free flights for life. BA should have an active rep here when there are major issues such as this OR have better info on the website. Many of the Qs being asked could easily be dealt with via a proper BA FAQ instead of relying on volunteers like c-w-s who I'd like to imagine would prefer being sat in a deckchair with drink in hand watching a cricket match (knotted hanky on head optional)!
4. I agree that knowing some more of the facts would help us understand and take a view on this horrible dispute.
5. Why are BAs comms about the cancellations so ANGRY? Because Willie wants them to be angry. They want to divert blame from the company. It will work to a degree but a more concilliatory tone isn't in BAs nature
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
God forbid anyone should be allowed to know the facts, and then be allowed to make an informed decision on the merits of the dispute.
You're not the decision-maker, and you don't have a vote in the dispute. So it is strictly speaking none of your business even if you might be adversely affected by the dispute. You therefore have no entitlement to know anything.

Of course, there are decisions you can make as a consequence of the dispute and its effects on you. But as has already been said in this thread, there is no decision that you can make that will favour one side at the expense of the other. All you have is the power to hurt both sides simultaneously. Knowing anything more about the dispute isn't going to change that.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:07 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
In practical terms, to this pragmatist, the merits of the dispute, or the lack thereof, or whatever, are quite irrelevant in terms of sorting out the booking or consequences of cancellation.

It doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on the matter, but it matters zilch whether one or more side has a merit or not if the flight is cancelled, in terms of dealing with the consequence of such disruption.

I don't feel I can demand to know rather private facts such as pay & conditions on offer etc. just because I'm affected by the strike. No different from not feeling I am entitled to know the exact name of the disease that's caused the tradesman to not turn up due to an illness.

(My booking has been affected, although sorted out to my satisfaction, so I am not just a curious bystander.)
flygirl68 and ClosetoLHR like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I wonder if BA will take away their Staff Travel Benefits as with the Cabin Crew Strike. That would bring the pains on for the commuters amongst them I imagine.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:10 am

I’m sure with so many people rearranging flights anyone on standby or with an ABC will have been moved further down the pecking order?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
Then ask BA
I can ask the man in the moon as well, but I don't suppose that will cast any light on the matter either.

The issue I have is with people pledging undying loyalty to the pilots cause, without any real understanding of what that cause is. I'm not affected by the dispute as I avoid booking with BA whenever part of their workforce are threatening industrial action.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:13 am

I booked my flight in January. I certainly didn’t know about any strike action then. I don’t work in the industry anymore so no-one to get any gossip from!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
So it is strictly speaking none of your business even if you might be adversely affected by the dispute.
An interesting contrast to the MF dispute, when people were falling over themselves to tell us exactly how badly they were remunerated.
Silver Fox and TedToToe like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Vegasbunny
I’m sure with so many people rearranging flights anyone on standby or with an ABC will have been moved further down the pecking order?
i meant as in the next couple of months/years rather than on strike days!!

That’s what they did to the cabin crew, though I think they eventually got it back.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:26 am

An interesting contrast to the MF dispute, when people were falling over themselves to tell us exactly how badly they were remunerated.
Ha yes. One might feel more benevolent if the BA flight crews weren’t some of the best paid in the industry. The fact that BAs offer was pretty good as well (certainly compared to the majority of sectors) doesn’t help either and just smacks of greed.

Sadly, it’s the public facing staff who will have to bear the brunt of this - the same occurred with the tube and train strikes.

Lets hope it gets sorted out one way or another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.