Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
No Avois availability for flights from MAN - LHR between 11th and 16th September
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Do we think BA know of a strike? Or are betting it will happen during this week? I assume they must know that BALPA declined the most recent offer (if that is indeed true).
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by samfrost93
Do we think BA know of a strike? Or are betting it will happen during this week? I assume they must know that BALPA declined the most recent offer (if that is indeed true).
I spoke to a pilot today and they do know the offer was rejected. No more news than that though unfortunately.
samfrost93 and W213Sal like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:53 pm

Full fares only available on 26th, 27th and 28th September also.
samfrost93 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: F
Expertflyer shows BA have closed all seat buckets other than F J W Y in all flights from and to LHR that I have checked so far (including EDI and MAN) from 11th to 16th September inclusive. One explanation is that they have seen a draft strike announcement.

LGW flights are also affected.

Also BA1 LCY-JFK

Also confirm same applies to 26th to 28th Sept inclusive.

Last edited by redshift27; Aug 22, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redshift27
Expertflyer shows BA have closed all seat buckets other than F J W Y in all flights from and to LHR that I have checked so far (including EDI and MAN) from 11th to 16th September inclusive. One explanation is that they have seen a draft strike announcement.

LGW flights are also affected.

Also BA1 LCY-JFK
Excellent work 007

Hmmm now to make sweeping conclusions.... Does this mean strikes before 11th or between 11-16? I'm still thinking before the 11th and then use those dates for service recovery by shifting canceled pax also discouraging people from booking expensive tickets
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: F
Maybe strikes 12th to 15th and 27th? We shall see.

No harm in continuing to sell full fare tickets: they can still reroute those onto any other carrier and turn a profit.
mjh0 and W213Sal like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redshift27
Maybe strikes 12th to 15th and 27th? We shall see.
I think people who book into F/J/W/Y buckets don't like their flights being canceled to start with so I doubt they'd want to piss them off! But since we know nothing both our theories are equally valid (and possibly equally rubbish)
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:20 pm

I’ve got flights booked to Beijing on sep 10th using a companion ticket in club...if the strike dates do fall on the 10th, what are the chances in being moved onto another airline in the same cabin?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Darren0291
I’ve got flights booked to Beijing on sep 10th using a companion ticket in club...if the strike dates do fall on the 10th, what are the chances in being moved onto another airline in the same cabin?
Very slim, but no-one is talking about 10th.
Darren0291 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I blame BA.
BlueThroughCrimp likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
OT, but goodness, surely no job could ever be worth that?
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Work to live, don't live to work springs to mind.
“Find a job you love and you’ll never work a day in your life”

i’ve just done 3 years without a “holiday” because most days are basically a holiday 😉
TedToToe and Traveller 935 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:39 pm

....... I'm due to fly to Beijing on the 11th. =/

Avios ticket in Club World. I assume I'm super screwed if they cancel it?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I'm confident this will not be for strikes

This is a balls up of IT.

Balpa don't even know the strike dates. Conspiracy theories at work probably 😂
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by cgtechuk
I'm confident this will not be for strikes

This is a balls up of IT.

Balpa don't even know the strike dates. Conspiracy theories at work probably 😂
How do you know BALPA do not know strike dates please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.