Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
only on the 11th coming back from Faro so should be unaffected.
A very brave assumption!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Have just received an email to my TA stating strike dates 9th , 10th and 27th Sep
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oh, well, clarity at last.

Subject to any further developments, it looks like a lot here are going to be impacted ... my best wishes to you all, with the hope that things work out OK for you somehow.

Personally we’ve ducked all 3 notified bullets. Our BA flights are on 2nd, 3rd, 17th and 18th of September, and 3rd and 9th of October. But who knows where this will go?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by T8191
Oh, well, clarity at last.

Subject to any further developments, it looks like a lot here are going to be impacted ... my best wishes to you all, with the hope that things work out OK for you somehow.

Personally we’ve ducked all 3 notified bullets. Our BA flights are on 2nd, 3rd, 17th and 18th of September, and 3rd and 9th of October. But who knows where this will go?
This took a lot of organisation so we didn't lose our trip reports
T8191, wrp96, mikeyfly and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Can no longer see any availability for travel on 8th September - source ITA Matrix and BA.com.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:46 am

Another stellar success of Mr Cruz. Pissing off the one category in the airline that is a) in short supply b) in demand and c) pretty hard to do without.

He could've given them all 10 grand and still be cheaper than one day of disruption, excluding wetleases (which he's now considering). Genius.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Another stellar success of Mr Cruz. Pissing off the one category in the airline that is a) in short supply b) in demand and c) pretty hard to do without.

He could've given them all 10 grand and still be cheaper than one day of disruption, excluding wetleases (which he's now considering). Genius.
comes across like an extremely stubborn individual
nancypants and HowMayIHelp like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:50 am
Suspended

If they refuse to re-route on non OW and non IAG carriers, please take your complaint further.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
On Cruz being stubborn.
Notice the words and feeling expressed in the two Press Notices.

BA sound angry. Annoyed. (Probably because their bonus payments will be impacted). Whoever wrote it, and whoever approved it have clearly lost their rags. Beyond intemperate. They should be fired.

BALPA sound the height of reasonableness and common sense..
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
He could've given them all 10 grand and still be cheaper than one day of disruption, excluding wetleases (which he's now considering).
Given how tight supply of leasing aircraft is, with the 737 grounding, would the CAA allow aircraft to be leased from outside Europe to break a strike (I.e. Qatar)? I can't see that happening, but I'm happy to be corrected.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, IHG Priority Club Platinum, SPG, Tufty Club

I imagine that he takes his lead and instructions from a certain Mr W Walsh.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
On Cruz being stubborn.
Notice the words and feeling expressed in the two Press Notices.

BA sound angry. Annoyed. (Probably because their bonus payments will be impacted). Whoever wrote it, and whoever approved it have clearly lost their rags. Beyond intemperate. They should be fired.

BALPA sound the height of reasonableness and common sense..
You should've seen the emails sent by some senior execs during the MF strike. The head of the cabin crew starting with "I am extremely disappointed by those of you who..." (from the height of her Band 1 job and bonus to somebody paid peanuts). This BA is oozing arrogance.

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Given how tight supply of leasing aircraft is, with the 737 grounding, would the CAA allow aircraft to be leased from outside Europe to break a strike (I.e. Qatar)? I can't see that happening, but I'm happy to be corrected.
That won't come cheap at all.

Originally Posted by Englishlee0710
I imagine that he takes his lead and instructions from a certain Mr W Walsh.
Perhaps; but Willie struck a deal with the pilots back in '08; he could've lost his marbles, sure, but this one seems very much Cruz's own making.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Jagboi
The CAA got themselves in a lot of hot water with the Europeans last time. I cant see it happening again with the way Boris is running around.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC
Ultimately the offer is fair and far better than most industries at present. If the pilots want a profit share they should buy IAG shares.
kingstontoon and Saladman like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:09 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

I suspect that Mr Cruz was between a rock and a hard place. I see that hand of Walsh in all this. You can be certain that should the strike go ahead, Cruz will be history. He will be the scapegoat.

I feel so sorry for all those affected, but I offer this. I rather think that of the two BA will blink first. It may not be today, nor tomorrow, but they will move heaven and earth to stop this. How much face they are prepared to lose is questionable, but at worst - and it is a worst I very much doubt that if BA grinds to a halt on 8th/9th
that it will remain unresolved by 27th. I may be very wrong but those are my thoughts.

I have paid for one of my oldest friends to fly Business Class to Alicante for her 70th birthday present. I’ll cancel if she’s going to have all this nonsense. She can come another time. I tell you so that
you don’t think that I’m being smug! I’m affected too but not as bad,h as some here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.