Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Never Stansted

Ironic that you’ve chosen to make this request on a post criticising BALPA rather than one of the (far more numerous) attacking Alex Cruz.
Your post was a more general critique of the right to strike in service industries and was purely political/ideological rather than an entirely reasonable critique of BA's (or indeed BALPA's) handling of the situation.

In other words it was irrelevant and unhelpful given the fact the thread had changed to become one more focused on practical help. And are you sure you mean "ironic"?
lhrpete likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
This is a dispute between BA and BALPA, not an audience participation sport. No BALPA members will be on here to give out details.
Excuse me?! I simply asked that someone that knows detail from a real perspective gives their input if they wish to. We're not living in a fascist state. It's just correct background information I was seeking. Finally I am not an audience, I am a regular paying passenger, who would like to understand better and is a regular user of this usually very helpful forum. Jog on please.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:28 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Excuse me!!!!!! Not. I simply asked that someone that knows detail from a real perspective gives their input. We're not living in a fascist state. It's just correct background information I was seeking. Finally I am not an audience, I am a regular paying passenger, who would like to understand better. Jog on.
i think you misunderstand rapidex’s comment. BALPA has told its members not to comment, and BA has also clamped down on its social media policy for its employees over the last few months. None of our BA staff FT’ers would be daft enough to comment on the strike on here under these circumstances

BALPA itself has decided not to comment much on the dispute publicly - not that there is any official BALPA representation on this board anyway.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Agent69
The BA website says that on average pilots and cabin crew have 16.5 years experience. If you allow a bit for cabin crew being younger and probably less experienced than pilots, it suggests about 20 years experience for the pilots. The historical sacrifices that people keep using as justification for the strike occurred around 2009, so I assume about 50% of the people going on strike haven't sacrificed anything because they joined BA after 2009?
For 50% of pilots to have less than 10 years experience, To meet your estimated 20 years average experience the other 50% of pilots require an average of 30 Plus years experience
BertieBadger and george77300 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

i think you misunderstand rapidex’s comment. BALPA has told its members not to comment, and BA has also clamped down on its social media policy for its employees over the last few months. None of our BA staff FT’ers would be daft enough to comment on the strike on here under these circumstances

BALPA itself has decided not to comment much on the dispute publicly - not that there is any official BALPA representation on this board anyway.
That may be so, however, personally, I strongly believe in truth and information. What I wanted most of all was clarification of whether the historical pay cuts were enforced or voluntary. That's just a fact that someone might be happy to disclose. I wasn't requesting fine detail of negotiations. Everyone to their own of course.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
I am one of the lucky ones. So far, not affected by Sept industrial action. My approach however (having X3 BA metal flights booked in September all as feeders to Qatar or Finnair is quite straightforward. The offer from what I can see is reasonable. Even if it is considered not to be, I don't believe the upset caused to pax is worthy. I will take my business elsewhere when possible. It's that simple. Then they can argue all they want for better salaries. If we all do the same the airline will rot. Good luck to all who have been inconvenienced, those trying to make business connections for themselves and those trying to also have a well earned break or holiday.
kingstontoon and Vegasbunny like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:52 am

Excuse me?! I simply asked that someone that knows detail from a real perspective gives their input if they wish to. We're not living in a fascist state. It's just correct background information I was seeking. Finally I am not an audience, I am a regular paying passenger, who would like to understand better and is a regular user of this usually very helpful forum. Jog on please.
You are not part of the negotiation and so not entitled to the information you request. This is nothing to do with fascism, just privacy. No BALPA members will be posting.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Saladman
Ha yes. One might feel more benevolent if the BA flight crews weren’t some of the best paid in the industry.
Are they? Can you share the information you have to support that?
flygirl68 and Ms.O like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Any intel / speculation on
- getting Avios bookings rebooked into a revenue bucket (and the TPs / Avios showing in MMB)
- possible extension of status for those impacted by this
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
Really poor communications on the BA's part. This morning got the e-mail many did, saying my 11 September flights were cancelled. I tried changing my flights on MMB and got the "unknown error" many others have reported. I spent 2 hours on hold before speaking to someone at the call centre, who was very most courteous, but strongly suggested that I do nothing until next week.
About an hour ago I get the following message (twice):
Booking Reference: XXXXXX

Dear Customer,

Following the announcement that the pilots’ union BALPA has issued dates for industrial action, we’ve been reviewing our flight schedule and operation.

We contacted you yesterday to advise you that your flight to Geneva on 11 September 2019 was cancelled. We’re pleased to update you that your flight will now be operating as originally planned. We’re sorry for any inconvenience or concern this caused.

You can view your booking, and print a confirmation, in Manage my Booking.

If you’ve changed your travel plans and wish to fly on a different date, please contact us on 0800 727 800 from within the UK, or +44 (0)203 250 0145 from outside the UK. If you’ve booked via a travel agent, please contact them to discuss arrangements for your booking.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this temporary change may have caused you, and we look forward to welcoming you on board.

British Airways

Frankly what a mess. It's not as though this strike was a surprize. BA have known about it for weeks, even though they didn't know the dates.
What was the point of sending out the cancellation e-mails, which were obviously largely a source of confusion to thousands, needlessly overloading the call centres.?
Did no-one look at debugging the website. It's absolutely intolerable to get "unknown error" messages?
Silver Fox and cauchy like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
That may be so, however, personally, I strongly believe in truth and information. What I wanted most of all was clarification of whether the historical pay cuts were enforced or voluntary. That's just a fact that someone might be happy to disclose. I wasn't requesting fine detail of negotiations. Everyone to their own of course.
Voluntary pay cuts? How would that come about?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:44 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
None of our BA staff FT’ers would be daft enough to comment on the strike on here under these circumstances
At least four have though, only in the last 24 hours
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: BAEC
BA admits error

BBC are reporting that BA made errors in telling customers their flights were cancelled via emails.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49460958

British Airways has admitted it made a mistake when it advised passengers flights were cancelled, and told them to book new ones.

Passengers have described "confusion" as cancelled flights were reinstated, but only after some of them rebooked.

Pilots are set to strike next month, but some people with flights on non-strike days were told to rebook, or get a refund.
Apologies if this has been mentioned already mods.

Sadly BA’s Birthday is going to fall under the radar with all this going on. Maybe a reflection of managements current well, management.
Silver Fox and 13901 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by nivsy
The offer from what I can see is reasonable. Even if it is considered not to be, I don't believe the upset caused to pax is worthy.
You seem to be suggesting that employees should not withdraw their labour even if they feel they are being exploited by their employers. I find that extraordinary.

In this instance, members of a union have been presented with an offer they deemed insufficient. They voted overwhelmingly for strike action. Following further negotiations they have then rejected a “final” offer and have, in compliance with the law, announced two weeks in advance when they plan not to work. There is still time for negotiation. How is any of this unreasonable?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
AIUI, BA pilots accepted a pay cut previously. My guess (and what do I know) is that BALPA are seeking full restoration of that cut (made to help BA) before seeking whatever other increase is deemed acceptable to the members.

As none of us know what the numbers are, it’s impossible to speculate on whether BA’s offer is bad, average or good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.