Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by DFB_london

Anything is possible, or worse they may have used a dated html format some more sophisticated email accounts block as it looks like a Nigerian phishing email...
You can just imagine it...

Dear sirs

My Spanish cousin has recently acquired $20 million and wishes to share his good fortune with you.

Please send us your our bank account details

😂
EDIflyer and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
A gem of a post in any circumstances - but considering it’s your first ......

(You may have understood from our email sent last week that our ‘final offer’ could be construed as a ‘final offer’. This was in fact sent in error, and we now wish to make it clear that ........)
Many thanks, although now I'm worried I may have set myself up for failure with any future posts

It's just such a shame to see a difficult situation handled so very poorly, causing much extra totally unnecessary stress and upset for so many, whether they are ultimately affected by a cancelled flight or not. Even in less troubled times, the disconnect between the image promoted and the service the staff are enabled/permitted to deliver just grows wider and wider.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold PC Platinum
Nice to see that BA have put up fares to the maximum on the days next to the strike (or at least let their demand algorithm run riot)

What a shoddy airline it sadly is now with a one trick pony, cost cutting [individual] in charge combined with greedy and inconsiderate pilots and generally demoralised staff across the organisation

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 26, 2019 at 5:06 am Reason: to comply with FT rules on diversity
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load

(You may have understood from our email sent last week that our ‘final offer’ could be construed as a ‘final offer’. This was in fact sent in error, and we now wish to make it clear that ........)

Surely we all know that BA would never acknowledge the word ‘error’...

Following the announcement that the pilots’ union BALPA has issued dates for industrial action, we’ve been reviewing our group remuneration policies.

We contacted you last week to advise you that our previous offer was a final offer. We’re pleased to update you that, as part of our £6.5 billion investment for customers, our offer has increased and that your demands will now be fulfilled as originally requested.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this temporary offer may have caused you, and we look forward to your ongoing employment.

Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by star_crazy
Nice to see that BA have put up fares to the maximum on the days next to the strike (or at least let their demand algorithm run riot)

What a shoddy airline it sadly is now with a one trick pony, cost cutting [individual] in charge combined with greedy and inconsiderate pilots and generally demoralised staff across the organisation

the fish rots from the head down, unfortunately
Crampedin13A likes this.

Last edited by Prospero; Aug 26, 2019 at 5:07 am Reason: amend quoted content
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by star_crazy
Nice to see that BA have put up fares to the maximum on the days next to the strike ...
So as to protect space for those who need to be reaccommodated because their flights aren't operating. You would have a different perspective on this if you tried to think about it from someone else's viewpoint.

Of course, BA is used to the maxim that no good deed goes unpunished.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
So as to protect space for those who need to be reaccommodated because their flights aren't operating. You would have a different perspective on this if you tried to think about it from someone else's viewpoint.

Or alternatively, someone might think "BA doesn't answer the phone to rebook me and instead it wants to get £600 from a new sale instead" (or someone disrupted who panics and buys a new ticket online, thinking it'll all be refunded). I don't think this is entirely fair, but I can see people taking this view.

Or the other place where it plays out is if someone is initially rebooked 2 days after the strike, but a seat becomes available 1 day earlier, and BA refuses to budge on their one-rebooking-only rule. Then it looks like profiteering.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser

If BA wanted to truly protect space, they wouldn't be selling seats on these flights. Yes it does loosely protect in a roundabout way, but only because the majority of people won't pay the high fare, but also let's face it, it's fairly obvious that it's about making money.
nancypants and AJA_ like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
If BA wanted to truly protect space, they wouldn't be selling seats on these flights. Yes it does loosely protect in a roundabout way, but only because the majority of people won't pay the high fare, but also let's face it, it's fairly obvious that it's about making money.
No, it's not. If they make these "Adjacent flights" unavailable for booking in any fare class then people can't be rebooked on to them using BA.com or the phone staff if their originally booked flights end up being cancelled. By using the combination of (1) only offering full fare seats on Adjacent flights and (2) allowing anyone on cancelled flights to rebook into full fare booking classes they maximise the possibility of reaccomodating passengers on to the flights they want.

The only other alternative would be to stop selling tickets on Adjacent flights and then forcibly rebook passengers on to those Adjacent flights, even if they aren't convenient. This is the best mix of preserving seats and offering cancelled passengers a degree of choice.
cbagent, Tobias-UK and alex67500 like this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I really like these "error" e-mails from BA to BALPA.
Maybe the BAEC Forum needs a "Jet Blast" type of thread..............
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
I often wonder why people see the world in such a binary black-and-white way.

By restricting availability to the full-fare booking classes, BA is protecting space for those who need to rebook because BA won't take the raft of reservations in discount classes that might otherwise have come its way. BA clearly doesn't think that it will need every last bit of space on every flight on adjacent dates - for example, many displaced passengers won't want to travel on an adjacent day and will have to be booked on another airline on a strike day; and some will just cancel their trips. In the meantime, the world continues to turn, and people continue to have important reasons for making new travel bookings even on adjacent days. Why can't BA manage the increased but not overwhelming demand for flights on adjacent dates in exactly the same way that it does (without complaint from the outside world) on any other high-demand flight or date? That appears to be what it's doing.

The way this discussion goes, anyone would think that BA is only allowed to do one thing or the other, and not both at once.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: AVIS presidents club, BA GGL, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Flights been removed from BA.com for 26/27/28th.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
FWIW I think BALPA have played a blinder here, there could have been total carnage this weekend with the bank holiday and Centenary celebrations.

After BALPA initially getting a bit of grief now the heat and angst is firmly directed back at BA due to the erroneous emails concerning the cancellation of flights that weren’t.

Again i I do feel sorry for anybody affected. One of my friends got the cancellation email, booked alternatives at a cost of £265 more as he couldn’t get through and was travelling for a specific purpose only to get the we sent this to you in error.

I’d hope people can hold BA accountable for loses even if they cancelled as a result of the email sent in error..

Just think those PPI cold callers are out of a job in 3 days..
Crampedin13A, T8191 and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Just think those PPI cold callers are out of a job in 3 days..
Oh please no don't suggest that! We would never hear the end of it. Plus I don't want any more adverts with Arnie saying "I'm coming to get you" unless he's saying it to WW and Senor Cruz.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

I’d hope people can hold BA accountable for loses even if they cancelled as a result of the email sent in error..
I see a Transport Select committee hearing into BAs handling of this happening and it won’t be pretty for BA. They won’t be able to hide and will have to provide answers and obfuscating and platitudes won’t be an option.

IIRC the report after the T5 opening debacle wasn’t very pretty.

nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.