Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Confus
It’s the other way round... BA has asked for talks, but the BALPA committee are all on holiday and have refused. Will be interesting to see if this changes opinions around who has more support (it certainly has changed mine).
Fake news I'm afraid. The BALPA commitee are not all on holiday. 1 member is on a holiday booked months ago, and will be back long before the strike dates. In the meentime the rest are all here.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Balpa Says `Currently No Talks Planned' With BA Over Pay DisputeBy Colin Keatinge

(Bloomberg) -- The British Airline Pilots Association said there are “currently NO talks planned” to settle the current pay dispute, according to an emailed statement today.
  • After BA CEO Alex Cruz’s “personal promise that he wanted to reach a resolution, Balpa wrote to him welcoming this approach and asked to meet him to hear his proposals,” according to Balpa; “We have not had a response from Mr Cruz”
  • “This dispute will only be settled, and these strikes will only be called off, when BA improve their offer enough to satisfy their pilots. Until BA indicate that they are willing to do that, there is absolutely no point in any talks,” Balpa General Secretary Brian Strutton cited as saying in email.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: BD *Gold; BAEC Gold; Flying Blue Gold; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Can't book new flights?

Hello All,

I'm sorry if this has been asked or discussed I have a tried searching this thread and the forum but not been successful. Point me in right direction if present.

My question:
I am trying to book a trip for a last bit of sun/beach (options - PMI, BCN or something similar) leaving on the 26th September (eve) and returning on 30th September (eve) but it looks like there are no BA flights available. Is that correct? When I search on google flights every other airline comes up except BA, when I search on BA website they are only showing Iberia or Vueling flights. Although my dates are outside of the second strike date of 27th September. Is this just a temporary block? Should I wait and the flights should come up again or should I get my flights with another airline?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by kiwidragon
Hello All,

I'm sorry if this has been asked or discussed I have a tried searching this thread and the forum but not been successful. Point me in right direction if present.

My question:
I am trying to book a trip for a last bit of sun/beach (options - PMI, BCN or something similar) leaving on the 26th September (eve) and returning on 30th September (eve) but it looks like there are no BA flights available. Is that correct? When I search on google flights every other airline comes up except BA, when I search on BA website they are only showing Iberia or Vueling flights. Although my dates are outside of the second strike date of 27th September. Is this just a temporary block? Should I wait and the flights should come up again or should I get my flights with another airline?

Thanks in advance for your input.
They won't reopen unless the strike is called off. BA has probably blocked ticket sales so it can move people from the 27th.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: BD *Gold; BAEC Gold; Flying Blue Gold; SPG Gold; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
They won't reopen unless the strike is called off. BA has probably blocked ticket sales so it can move people from the 27th.
Thanks for that. Slightly annoying , going to have to jump on an easyjet!
Old Aug 29, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Had an interesting chat with an SFO yesterday queuing for coffee, conversation came round to the strike as she asked if I had many trips in the coming week.

What was Interesting was her view that BALPA are sort of failing the pilots from a PR perspective, she felt (rightly in my mind) that if the public knew the main reasons weren't pay related but were about T&Cs and broken promises there would be more support/less aggro for her and her colleagues. The pilots have been asked not to comment on SM and BALPA don't seem to be doing much on SM either, certainly almost everything you see makes it about pay and in isolation 11% over 3 years is more than many BA customers are getting.

She also said the majority of her friends at work were glad the school holiday period had passed off without a strike as they really didn't want to impact family holidays with their action. It was pretty clear the action was regrettable and a last resort of someone totally broken by their employer but who still loves their job, quite sad really.

I couldn't help feeling if BALPA put her, or a like minded colleague, on air they would do their cause a load of good. I asked if she would mind me sharing her thoughts anonymously, which she was fine with, wished her luck with the outcome and bought her coffee. Least I could do really for the new perception I had just gained.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
What was Interesting was her view that BALPA are sort of failing the pilots from a PR perspective, she felt (rightly in my mind) that if the public knew the main reasons weren't pay related but were about T&Cs and broken promises there would be more support/less aggro for her and her colleagues.
I mentioned much earlier in the thread that the pay increase was what Reagan used to turn the public against the ATCs when employment conditions were their main grievance. They got sacked and conditions did not improve. If you deserve a pay increase you should be able to ask for one but from a PR perspective emphasising the broken promises and conditions would make a lot of sense.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Raffles

You're not going if there is a strike, live with it.

How much spare capacity do you think there is to Santiago in August? Even a one-day strike would take 3-4 days to clear everyone, and this will not be a one day strike.

BA is flying 1 million passenger PER WEEK in August. Even if there were the seats elsewhere (there are not) who do you think is manually rebooking one million people?!
Sorry to drag an old comment up, but are we seeing any instances of the scenario predicted above? Appreciate strike is in Sept not Aug but its quite a difference from basically noone going anywhere to basically everyone being reaccommodated one way or another.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 9:14 pm

BA have reinstated there daily flight to JFK from LGW on the 9th and 10th of September. The flight from LGW will be operated by a A330 leased from Envelop.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Scotflyer80
BA have reinstated there daily flight to JFK from LGW on the 9th and 10th of September. The flight from LGW will be operated by a A330 leased from Envelop.
If a flight is cancelled and reinstated with less than 14 days notice, does that make passengers who moved from 9th, to (say) 11th, and then back to 9th eligible for compensation?

Sorry if it's not entirely appropriate for this topic, just trying to better my understanding.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Sailbot3310
If a flight is cancelled and reinstated with less than 14 days notice, does that make passengers who moved from 9th, to (say) 11th, and then back to 9th eligible for compensation?

Sorry if it's not entirely appropriate for this topic, just trying to better my understanding.
last balpa press release says not talking to BA as the inVISible man no where to be seen. (Perhaps he has been fired?) So now it seems there is a growing risk balpa announce more dates in a few days’ time.

With decent wet lease cos already busy this year the mind boggles what BA have rented in. Who recalls the 393Y Peach Air Tristars they tried in 1998?
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Had an interesting chat with an SFO yesterday queuing for coffee, conversation came round to the strike as she asked if I had many trips in the coming week.

What was Interesting was her view that BALPA are sort of failing the pilots from a PR perspective, she felt (rightly in my mind) that if the public knew the main reasons weren't pay related but were about T&Cs and broken promises there would be more support/less aggro for her and her colleagues. The pilots have been asked not to comment on SM and BALPA don't seem to be doing much on SM either, certainly almost everything you see makes it about pay and in isolation 11% over 3 years is more than many BA customers are getting.

She also said the majority of her friends at work were glad the school holiday period had passed off without a strike as they really didn't want to impact family holidays with their action. It was pretty clear the action was regrettable and a last resort of someone totally broken by their employer but who still loves their job, quite sad really.

I couldn't help feeling if BALPA put her, or a like minded colleague, on air they would do their cause a load of good. I asked if she would mind me sharing her thoughts anonymously, which she was fine with, wished her luck with the outcome and bought her coffee. Least I could do really for the new perception I had just gained.
Sorry can't say my heart bleeds for her comments. As usual family holidays we are so sorry but those who pay thousands of pounds on BA services 12 months a year they don't care? Thanks!! Looking now at a Star alliance flight.....
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
BALPA has no wish to harm BA
But it's an inevitable consequence of their actions!

A bit like people who go on strike and say we had no other alternative. Yes you did, you could have gone to work.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
she felt (rightly in my mind) that if the public knew the main reasons weren't pay related but were about T&Cs and broken promises there would be more support/less aggro for her and her colleagues.
I think you are correct.

I previously pointed out that the lack of facts in the public domain prevented normal people taking a reasoned view on the dispute, and was abruptly told that If I wasn't involved in the dispute then it was none of my business
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
With nothing booked for the first 4 months of 2020, and with BAEC Gold renewal already assured, we are certainly looking at other travel options. We want 2 trips, one s/h and one l/h.

After 8 May, we will see where things are,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.