Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by malkie

Thats my question - what is 14 days notice? Does an announcement at noon on Friday enable a walkout at noon on the 16th? Or does the strike start at midnight 14days after the announcement?
As I understand it, it is as you described... minimum notice of 14 days. So letter delivered by 12:00 on 02.08.2019 would about strike to begin 12:00 16.08.2019
malkie and budgetmiles like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: QF WP
I can’t recall a strike in the UK in the last 30+ years that has enjoyed widespread public support. People on here like to crap on about how NHS workers, firefighters are much more worthy. But when those groups have been on strike the debate switches, “gold plated public sector pensions”, “playing games with people’s lives”, etc etc. So i’m not sure that it’s worth anything that the public thinks pilots are greedy/overpaid, the public seems to think that all strikers are greedy and overpaid

worst case scenario, the public decides not to book any more flights with BA (many already don’t, many who do book with BA it comes down to lack of other options or cost effectiveness), the airline goes bust, what happens to the pilots? They go and take employment with the competition, who have been enlarging their fleets and actively recruiting because people have been boycotting BA

so I don’t personally believe that “public opinion” means anything here, sorry
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
I can’t recall a strike in the UK in the last 30+ years that has enjoyed widespread public support. People on here like to crap on about how NHS workers, firefighters are much more worthy. But when those groups have been on strike the debate switches, “gold plated public sector pensions”, “playing games with people’s lives”, etc etc. So i’m not sure that it’s worth anything that the public thinks pilots are greedy/overpaid, the public seems to think that all strikers are greedy and overpaid

worst case scenario, the public decides not to book any more flights with BA (many already don’t, many who do book with BA it comes down to lack of other options or cost effectiveness), the airline goes bust, what happens to the pilots? They go and take employment with the competition, who have been enlarging their fleets and actively recruiting because people have been boycotting BA

so I don’t personally believe that “public opinion” means anything here, sorry
100% agree. Look for instance at the recent Lufthansa strikes: their pilots wanted to defend their right to retire at 55 (or 50?) a claim that is undeniably hard to buy into and that enjoyed very, very limited public support (and I'm being generous). In spite of this, they have gone ahead and continued striking until an agreement was reached. This is not government: striking pilots don't risk losing their jobs because they don't get elected.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Looks like the stock markets are calling BALPA's bluff. IAG shares up over 3% today.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:11 am

the public seems to think that all strikers are greedy and overpaid
Maybe they're correct?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
Looks like the stock markets are calling BALPA's bluff. IAG shares up over 3% today.
Maybe its because the LOI for the B737max is less likely to become an order.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I don't read much into a single days trading, if we look at the last years chart the overall trend is down; it's dropped 43% since February.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:39 am

The Press will generally only talk about emotive issues rather than present facts. Headlines that talk of “passenger fury”, “summer chaos” and “families left in tears” get people’s emotions fired up even though many of those families will come back and either send a complaint about the BA service, write a negative review about their experience or rant on social media about how BA has become a terrible no frills airline. And forgetting that the service has possibly got worse because of executive greed at the top. So if it’s not the strike and the pilots, it will be something else, including baggage belt issues. “Family furious after being left stranded in the Seychelles after BA forgot to load their bags” (Insert stock photo of family looking furious). Fury and chaos all over the UK!
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Like others, I am potentially affected with flights to Asia end-August.

One possible scenario is that BA comes up with an improved proposal during the current talk but bellow what unions ask.
I am not familiar with British industrial relations. Would the unions be at liberty to decide that the new offer is insufficient and go ahead with the strike. Would they be required/expected to put the new offer to a vote? Any wild guess?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: QF WP
Maybe they're correct?
so you agree that all the indignant chat in this thread about nurses/teachers etc being much more worthy is just white noise? Because anyone who goes on strike ever is greedy and overpaid
flygirl68 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
As I understand it, it is as you described... minimum notice of 14 days. So letter delivered by 12:00 on 02.08.2019 would about strike to begin 12:00 16.08.2019
Follow-up question: If it's announced after 12 PM on a day, the earliest potential start time is 12 AM on the 15th day, right? e.g. announcement Fri 8/2 at 1 PM = strike time no earlier than Sat 8/17 at 12 AM?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by brunos

One possible scenario is that BA comes up with an improved proposal during the current talk but bellow what unions ask.
I am not familiar with British industrial relations. Would the unions be at liberty to decide that the new offer is insufficient and go ahead with the strike. Would they be required/expected to put the new offer to a vote? Any wild guess?
It's a tricky one.

BALPA may decide to put an improved offer out to the membership with a recommendation to accept.

They may not and reject an improved offer if it is below what they are asking.

They may decide that any revised offer isn't enough and announce strike dates in the hope of leveraging more out of BA.

Who knows? This could go any way at the minute.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by brunos

The union could reject the offer, or they could put the offer to a vote. They could announce a strike whilst the offer is being voted on.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Maybe its because the LOI for the B737max is less likely to become an order.
I do wonder how many people will be eager to get on a 737 max once it is recertified
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:02 am

Because anyone who goes on strike ever is greedy and overpaid
If the cap fits .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.