Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Originally Posted by Wendyp247
Thanks, I know nothing can be done until a strike is actually announced. I have back to back cruises (2)scheduled. If I can't get reschedule, I don't think the ship will wait for me.
Working from a point of not knowing your insurance provision or cruise line policy etc there is some reassurance that most cruise lines will agree to honour a cabin and allow you to intercept the ship at X port if you have communicated to them in advance a valid reason for this. I've been on a ship where pax who had medical issues whilst on land were then moved to the next port and, still missing departure, where ferried aboard via the pilot vessel. There are of course a myriad of "what's & if's" but in an effort to reassure you I think some good, well detailed, communication with the initial cruise company should garner a positive response from them to get you onboard at some point albeit on the understanding that them doing so means you accept any loss of time onboard without liability to them( for which your insurance then kicks in). Let's hope it doesn't become an issue but i'd hope there's a way to mitigate if so.
nancypants and budgetmiles like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Appeal Decision at 10:30 am tomorrow
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Why a wasted costs order?
If they happen to decide that the BA action had next to no merit and was bound to fail, having hampered the overall objective of settling the dispute. Actually, I'm hoping for a different outcome altogether but I don't see this challenge succeeding.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by Wendyp247
Thanks, I know nothing can be done until a strike is actually announced. I have back to back cruises (2)scheduled. If I can't get reschedule, I don't think the ship will wait for me.
Do you have any pre-cruise days built into your itinerary? Those could be your saving grace.

I personally never fly to a cruise overseas without at least 2-3 days of pre-cruise hotel stays. Never ran into trouble before, but there is always a first time. The only time I won't is for a home port cruise. Even for a domestic cruise we'll arrive in the port city at least the day before.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Originally Posted by mwalsh
Do you have any pre-cruise days built into your itinerary? Those could be your saving grace.

I personally never fly to a cruise overseas without at least 2-3 days of pre-cruise hotel stays. Never ran into trouble before, but there is always a first time. The only time I won't is for a home port cruise. Even for a domestic cruise we'll arrive in the port city at least the day before.
Off - Topic a bit but my sister will not even fly from Heathrow without and overnight... she is in the midlands
mwalsh likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That means today's hearing will go on until it is decided. If either party believes the court has erred in law when reaching its decision a further appeal to the Supreme Court is possible. I do not think that likely though.
I'm used to the Canadian Supreme Court where you must make an application for leave to appeal, and have the Court grant it in order for an appeal to be heard, even if there are reasons for an appeal, such as errors in law. In other words, there is no automatic right of appeal to the Supreme Court (except for a few types of criminal cases). Is it the same in the UK?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (lowly Blue but with MUCCI, apparently)
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Off - Topic a bit but my sister will not even fly from Heathrow without and overnight... she is in the midlands
I don't like to either - you just can't trust the motorways. In fact, I'm doing just that on this trip, staying overnight Friday in Kensington for a flight to OSL on Saturday afternoon. However, I have an appointment at the Bank of England on the Friday too, so it's not like it's my only motivation this time.

The only time I've driven down from Manchester and not done an overnight is when I left there at midnight for a flight from LHR at noon the next day. I figured that was more than enough time to recover from a mishap.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Appeal Decision at 10:30 am tomorrow
What happens if BALPA lose?

Do they have the details that BA are asking for, or would it mean another ballot
Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:50 am

If BALPA loses it'll mean another ballot as the info must be passed before a valid ballot.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Agent69
What happens if BALPA lose?

Do they have the details that BA are asking for, or would it mean another ballot
Another ballot. See post 737 upthread which suggests timescales https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31358628-post737.html
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
So If BA win the appeal and BALPA start again the earliest strike dates would be in 6 weeks just as the kids go back to school?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
So If BA win the appeal and BALPA start again the earliest strike dates would be in 6 weeks just as the kids go back to school?
That would appear to be the case.

See post 737.
sunshinebob likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
But just as business travel ramps up again...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
But just as business travel ramps up again...
What’s the best time of year to have a strike?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:24 am

The 29th of February, surely?
alex67500 and budgetmiles like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.