Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by catandmouse
Really poor communications on the BA's part. This morning got the e-mail many did, saying my 11 September flights were cancelled. I tried changing my flights on MMB and got the "unknown error" many others have reported. I spent 2 hours on hold before speaking to someone at the call centre, who was very most courteous, but strongly suggested that I do nothing until next week.
About an hour ago I get the following message (twice):
Booking Reference: XXXXXX

Dear Customer,

Following the announcement that the pilots’ union BALPA has issued dates for industrial action, we’ve been reviewing our flight schedule and operation.

We contacted you yesterday to advise you that your flight to Geneva on 11 September 2019 was cancelled. We’re pleased to update you that your flight will now be operating as originally planned. We’re sorry for any inconvenience or concern this caused.

You can view your booking, and print a confirmation, in Manage my Booking.

If you’ve changed your travel plans and wish to fly on a different date, please contact us on 0800 727 800 from within the UK, or +44 (0)203 250 0145 from outside the UK. If you’ve booked via a travel agent, please contact them to discuss arrangements for your booking.

We’re sorry for any inconvenience this temporary change may have caused you, and we look forward to welcoming you on board.

British Airways

Frankly what a mess. It's not as though this strike was a surprize. BA have known about it for weeks, even though they didn't know the dates.
What was the point of sending out the cancellation e-mails, which were obviously largely a source of confusion to thousands, needlessly overloading the call centres.?
Did no-one look at debugging the website. It's absolutely intolerable to get "unknown error" messages?
Agreed, I received similar emails for my flight on 8 Sept, received similar errors when trying to rebook and was not able to get through on the phone before receiving the second email.
Silver Fox likes this.

Last edited by dycc; Aug 24, 2019 at 1:09 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BOH
At least four have though, only in the last 24 hours
have they? i missed that. not on the merits of the strike which is what is being asked about?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
BBC are reporting that BA made errors in telling customers their flights were cancelled via emails.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49460958

Apologies if this has been mentioned already mods.

Sadly BA’s Birthday is going to fall under the radar with all this going on. Maybe a reflection of managements current well, management.
Ineptitude of the high viz one strikes again.

Also BA are now replying to emails in font sizes below 1, impossible to read too. I suppose if you can’t read there’s no chance of it being misunderstood.

I feel for the call centre and booking staff yet again let down by far better paid management but left to pick up the pieces.

BA management have had months to plan for this, but yet again utter incompetence, miscommunication and confusion seems to be the order of the day and yet again they have turned hard to manage PR into a PR disaster.

Balpa have played a blinder here - and for BA it get worse as the 27th September is the end of a UN session in NYC when they’d normally be hoovering up full fare price no object diplo traffic.

Silver Fox and RG1X like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Yes, but BA isn't just pilots. That proportion is, in a sense, surprisingly small.

Bow to BALPA and the gates open for all other staff to follow. That, I would think, is management's decision.

Not saying it's right. But the hard stance - for now! - seems to be the company's play.
​​​​​​
Chuck on top of that £60m c.20% inflation (Compounded) over the last 10 yrs. Still peanuts when you think of the overall GP but as others I believe have mentioned, if you give in to one group everyone else is gonna be ligning up for there share of the pot which potentially leaves BA without said pot to P**s in!!

My tuppence worth
ML
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
I’ve now received an email stating that my two flights on September 11th are not cancelled anymore and they also called me to confirm that. I guess they are slowly getting back on track.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Protocol7
I’ve now received an email stating that my two flights on September 11th are not cancelled anymore and they also called me to confirm that. I guess they are slowly getting back on track.
a track they should never have fallen off in the first place.

This email has caused immense worry to a lot of peope who thought they were 'safe' from strike action when the dates were announced. For BA to send out a very badly worded email in 'error' is just ineptitude.

Yesterday when the dates were announced I told a friend his flight on the 11th was 'safe'. Today he messages me that his flight was apparently cancelled and why had I told him he was OK. Thanks to people likw c-w-s and their posts here I was able to ask him the right questions such as were the flights in red and struckthrough and when he said no to reassure him. He has since had the not cancelled anymore email but his opinion of BA has been lowered.

Instead of being what could have been a positive offer by BA to allow people to rebook to another date or cancel for refund inaddition to keeping on the flight due to poor wording it has just caused confusion because of pure ineptitude. People have cancelled flights for a refund (and so lost holidays etc) because they thought they had no other option causing BA to lose even more money.

Management should he ashamed of what they have done and have left phone agents to deal with a mess that could have been avoided.

I wonder if BA had a policy of not planning for a strike and so were found very wanting when it actually arrived?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
I agree with all that, I’ve received the email about the cancellations but seeing those flights still available on sale, led me to think something was wrong and I decided to wait at least 24 hrs. At the end they contacted me even if I didn’t contact them. I hope it goes the same for more and more cancellations.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I agree with many others. How things went over the last days make you feel that BA had no contingency plan, has barely a recovery plan, and significantly understaffed call centers.

I remember when the LH pilots came out on strike LH published immediately a PDF which stated which flights operate or not. That was the plan then even if more pilots showed up for work than expected. Gave everyone clarity and my call center waiting time was 10min.

I am afraid BA doesn’t even like to spend a penny to prepare - are we surprised?

No.
lhrpete, EDIflyer and ClosetoLHR like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by nshep
I know it’s complicated for both parties but I’m actually shocked it’s happening the sheer scale of disruption it’s causing is just madness. I was lucky and managed to get rebooked but there is so many people who can’t even get through to BA.

Also where are they gonna park all those planes for first two days, maybe purple parking or Heathrow pod parking has some spaces available still 😂?
They can't even use the taxi way up by the pub at the end of the MAN runway, it's already full of TUi 737 max frames 😂
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Just a thought, maybe they could use the opportunity to properly clean some of the aircraft...

wait, sorry, it’s BA. As you were
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Having changed my flights; I get the email they flights on 11/9 are no longer cancelled

But when I try to change them back ; they want to charge!
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
They can't even use the taxi way up by the pub at the end of the MAN runway, it's already full of TUi 737 max frames 😂
If thats the Romper, at least you get a decent pint in there.
tuonopepper likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by rapidex
If thats the Romper, at least you get a decent pint in there.
Not quite.... The cunningly named 'Airport pub', lol
Old Aug 24, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I don't agree that settling with one group opens the floodgates. Each group has a differing set of teeth! As the MF fleet dispute showed, BA didn't grind to a halt and many pilots stepped down and acted as crew. MF are unlikely to be stepping into the Cockpit - at least I hope not given their average age !!

From what I read, pilots have been quiet and given stuff up. Are they overpaid - probably, especially relative to charter and low cost carriers. That doesn't mean settling is wrong if the claim is just. Air Canada have had many years now of no industrial action by agreeing long term deals which benefit both sides and provide certainty for both business continuity and budgeting wages over a longer period.

The lunacy here, is regardless of precedent or cost - BA will lose out with increased costs, less revenue, and less market share. Just imagine all of these PAX who discover Emirates, QATAR, or some of the better european carriers.

Star Alliance be laughing their pants off.

BA seem to want to win a dispute rather than win market share and retain reputation - that is what is so mind blowingly stupid, bloody minded and short sighted. If I was a BA share holder - I'd be asking serious questions of BA
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by tuonopepper
Not quite.... The cunningly named 'Airport pub', lol
Ah ok. I always drink in the "Ship" in Styal when I am around.
tuonopepper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.