Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Quick answers to FAQ:

Help! What do I do now?
Most importantly, don't panic and don't do anything in haste. Read these FAQ. Read the thread, particularly the posts starting from the time that the strike dates were announced. Identify your options. Think about what works for you. Then take action. If you do anything in haste, you may have thrown away good options, or you may have thrown away money that you needn't have spent.

NOTE: Some emails have been sent out by mistake notifying the cancellation of flights on 8 September and other dates. If your booking still looks OK in MMB then you don't need to take further action. A cancelled flight should be shown in MMB with struck-through text. If your flight details are not struck through, then it probably hasn't actually been cancelled. You could check ba.com to see whether BA is still taking reservations for the flight in question. If so, then the flight has not been cancelled. You may also try checking on ExpertFlyer, if you have access, to see whether your flight appears still to be operating and whether BA is still taking reservations. However, some afternoon/evening flights on 8 September have genuinely been cancelled. See main thread for details.

Has a strike been called yet?
Yes. BALPA, the pilots' union, has voted in favour of strike action, and the Court of Appeal has rejected BA's submission to have the poll set aside, so the legal process is now over. The two parties went back into talks after the legal proceedings and those talks were expected to continue into the week of 5 August.

BALPA on 23 Aug announced strikes on Monday 9 September Tuesday 10 September and Friday 27 September.

Any further strikes normally require 2 weeks notice under UK legislation.

What flights may be affected?
LHR and LGW based flights. Not LCY or STN flights. Both cabin and flight crew are in dispute with BA, but the pilots (captains, senior first officers, first officers) are closest to strike action.

How long would a strike last?
The initial strikes are for two days the a single day, with normal working in between. Any other strikes could be of any length. It would be rare in the UK for there to be a full time strike.

What would happen to my flights if it is a strike day?
A range of options have been announced, see post 1551 below for more information: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post31451055

and BA Trade Site guidance here: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...kba?faqid=7594

Rebooking is now allowed on Iberia, AA, Finnair, JAL and Qatar. Within Europe EI and Vueling are also allowed. This is for both revenue and redemption flights.

and the FAQ on BA.com here (this includes information on BA Holidays bookings which are substantially different): https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Can I do anything with an existing booking now?
Yes. Your options are different depending on whether your flights are currently showing as cancelled or not. See the links above.

What about Heathrow staff - aren't their strikes planned there too?
Yes there is a separate dispute at the moment between Heathrow Airport (HAL) and their staff such as those who operate the security checkpoints. See the separate thread on the issue.

Am I protected by EC261 if there is a problem?
You are always covered by the Right to Care provisions of Regulation EC261. You could potentially be able to claim compensation for delays, cancellations and downgrades caused by BA staff action too, but not for HAL strikes (for cancellations only if there is flight is less than 14 day’s notice). See the main EC261 thread in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Print Wikipost

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
If pilots go on strike down route surely BA won’t make any effort to accomodate or repatriate them?
No pilots are striking down route. As has been repeatedly stated there are not enough parking spaces at LHR to accommodate all the inbound overnight flights on the 8th, so BA may choose to cancel some to prevent diversions on the morning of the 9th from LHR.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's due people trying to find out how to get their free pint of Speedbird IPA at Brewdog.
Right, something very weird happened. I had the ba.com website on a separate tab, trying to load. Not much luck. I'm listening to music on Youtube. As soon, and completely ramdomly, Enter Sandman (the gritty version by Motörhead) comes up BA.com loads and work like a charm.

Coincidence? I think not.

On a slightly on topic note, I've a flight on 26/9 that is earmarked for possible disruption. The website is giving options to cancel or rebook, but there's obviously no availability on the 26th. Only on the 25th and not on BACF (LHR-MXP booking). Hopefully they'll have come to their senses by then.

Last edited by 13901; Aug 24, 2019 at 1:12 am
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action - Strike discussion thread

Hope this is OK - I'm sure the mods will lock / delete of not...

As the main thread is now really a help thread regarding the current strike dates, I thought it would be good to have a separate thread for discussion of the strike reasons / status / negotiations / next steps etc.

I'll start off with...

Can BALPA now just continue to call strikes without any further ballots? So, if no deal is struck after 27th September they can just call another 2 days strike 14 days later?

My other point is that it now seems clear why BALPA held off announcing the strikes. What better way to get your point across than to do it on the weekend that BA will all over the news for their 100 year celebrations?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Can BALPA now just continue to call strikes without any further ballots? So, if no deal is struck after 27th September they can just call another 2 days strike 14 days later?
Yes they can call further ballots until January, provided 2 weeks notice is given. They missed a trick with the current strikes, they gave slightly more notice, hence BA's mad scramble to send out cancellation emails before 2 weeks for EC261. Strikes don't have to be 1 or 2 days long, it's just that unions have worked out that actually this gives employers the greatest hassle and expense, with less of an impact on members' pay packets.
DYKWIA and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:48 am

Hope this is OK - I'm sure the mods will lock / delete of not...

As the main thread is now really a help thread regarding the current strike dates, I thought it would be good to have a separate thread for discussion of the strike reasons / status / negotiations / next steps etc.

I'll start off with...

My other point is that it now seems clear why BALPA held off announcing the strikes. What better way to get your point across than to do it on the weekend that BA will all over the news for their 100 year celebrations?
BALPA's mandate runs until January. They can call as many or as few as they wish without a further ballot.
DYKWIA and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I know it’s complicated for both parties but I’m actually shocked it’s happening the sheer scale of disruption it’s causing is just madness. I was lucky and managed to get rebooked but there is so many people who can’t even get through to BA.

Also where are they gonna park all those planes for first two days, maybe purple parking or Heathrow pod parking has some spaces available still 😂?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nshep
Also where are they gonna park all those planes for first two days ...
At wherever they happen to be. The aircraft will not all be in London when the strike starts, and the plan appears to be that they will not come back to London until the strike is over.
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I'm guessing that the strikes are costing BA far more in money and goodwill than it would be to settle the dispute. What are they trying to achieve by messing about with their customers like this?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:21 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nshep
Also where are they gonna park all those planes for first two days, maybe purple parking or Heathrow pod parking has some spaces available still 😂?
Not an issue. They will simply stay parked wherever they happen to be at the start of the strike, until the strike finishes.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:22 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by DrGee
I'm guessing that the strikes are costing BA far more in money and goodwill than it would be to settle the dispute. What are they trying to achieve by messing about with their customers like this?
does anyone really know that?
Alex Cruz looks out of his depth and clueless.... yet again.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I'm guessing that it will end in the pilots and BALPA losing a lot of goodwill (BA's strategy?).

What's with BALPA and their current disputes with BA and Ryanair? A final fling before dementia sets in?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DrGee
Not commenting directly on the rights and wrongs of either sides case, but you have to negotiate in a certain way or you're sending a message for next time. If the pilots don't strike now they've lost the meaningful threat of it, if BA give in to the threat of a strike they are setting the tone for future negotiations. It's easy to be wise from a distance.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:29 am

Is there any possibility that they could come to an agreement before the strike starts and it gets cancelled, in theory they could I guess, but not very likely?
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Knodde
Is there any possibility that they could come to an agreement before the strike starts and it gets cancelled, in theory they could I guess, but not very likely?
I'm sure they could, but the damage is done. Rebooking chaos.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Knodde
Yes, but BA seem determined to tough it out and wont negociate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.