Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flygirl68

I have had the same thing happen. A little boy and his dad came into the galley for a coke, I got it and got down to his level and gave it to him, he took it, I said playfully “ Now what do you say?” His dad from above me said the exact same words.
Astonishing. I like to think that a lot of the things in this thread are stressed people having bad days, genuinely not realising where queues end, or acting in a way which will cause them to flinch when they stop and think about it later, but this is another level of conceited arrogance - and to say it in front of the crew member concerned is calculated nastiness.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:46 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
I wonder what would happen to his food in a restaurant if he spoke to a waiter like that...
I would hope that the inevitable karma happens...

Does anyone else think this is just completely unacceptable level of gross rudeness?
flygirl68, YacozA, BotB and 7 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver | Flying Blue Gold | Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Worcester
I would hope that the inevitable karma happens...

Does anyone else think this is just completely unacceptable level of gross rudeness?
Yes, this seems like totally dehumanizing cabin crew and a total lack of basic manners.
I'm usually one to keep to myself in such situations but I'd find it hard to not make a remark on that if I saw that happening.
flygirl68 and Worcester like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:01 am

That’s the one I remember most clearly, I have a list. After so many years flying, that list is relatively short, so the huge majority of people are very pleasant. Thank goodness. I have been reduced to tears only once early on. It’s a shock to learn how rude some people can be.
Scots_Al, GrayBDG, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, BA Amex PP, Virgin Gold
Recently a crew-member upon seeing I was a Gold in ET brought me glasses of wine (in real glass) from Club and ensured I had a very pleasant flight. I asked for her name to leave a "Well Done" as a thank you and the CSM came later and said "you've made her day, she's only been flying a few weeks". A case of she SDKWIW (she did know who I was) and hopefully better manners than the brattish behaviour of these parents (and their kids).
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PAL62V
A cabin crew friend of mine (not BA) has all manner of stories referring to the way she and others are treated by pax. One woman with a child who, when served their meal the mother said to the child, "Oh you don't need to say thank you. They are here to serve us." Yeah - until there's an emergency and they save your sorry life. Unbelievable.
I liked the approach of the stockroom staff in the laboratory where I did my doctorate. They addressed students as "sir" but, if asked, explained that it was spelled "cur".
PAL62V, T8191, The_Bouncer and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I’ve just had a DYKWAIA (Don’t You Know What An Idiot I Am) moment.

Logged in to my account on Sunday to make my EU261 claim for BA115 to JFK being cancelled on Friday and realised I’m 10TP away from re-qualifying for gold with a year end of 8th October. Bit of a first world panic for the last couple of the days as I wonder how I could get my calculations so wrong.

Start looking at weekends away, but can’t fit anything in with wife’s travel and some football commitments. Decide to just book a B2B to AMS and offset with a handful of Avios.

A minute after I booked the second leg, it dawned on me that I need 10TP now - I’m still in NY and have 140TP coming from my flight home on Thursday

DYKWAIA
YacozA, wrp96, BotB and 10 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Nurse will be along shortly with your medication!

Do you want ice and lemon too?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Think I’ve had a few too many things with ice and lemon in them recently which led to that...
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Enjoy Schiphol!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by PAL62V
This.

A cabin crew friend of mine (not BA) has all manner of stories referring to the way she and others are treated by pax. One woman with a child who, when served their meal the mother said to the child, "Oh you don't need to say thank you. They are here to serve us." Yeah - until there's an emergency and they save your sorry life. Unbelievable.
Not so much DIKWIA but there was a child operating the IFE screen with her feet on a recent SQ flight (this was in J). There was absolutely nothing wrong with her arms or hands (as she was eating perfectly normally with the cutlery provided). Parents said nothing. Neither did her parents nor she or her sibling ever said please or thank you to anyone whatsoever (not the crew, not passengers who let them pass etc.), not even once (I wasn't so much listening out but they were loud, so you could easily hear them 15 feet away).

It wasn't a language issue - they spoke with entirely native American accent. (Not said to cast aspersions on American people but it's not right to call it English accent because it wasn't).

After the flight, the parents (particularly the father) were really rude and aggressive to other people in the immigration queue.

There are rude people in all walks of life, and it's really rather disappointing, and quite DYKWIA that they never said please or thank you.

It's unpleasant to be around those horrid people. If I ever made a habit of flying private, it would be so that I don't have to witness those unpleasant fellow passengers and not for any other reason.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Well so let's think about Downton Abbey (no moans and all that).....they always said thank you to their staff....those who are accustomed to status and money know the way to treat those around them...those who feel they have to "show" their "status" and "money" will not. It's simple really....the wanna be's and the nouveau pretty regularly show their deficiencies! Those poor children...it will serve them poorly for life and those parents should be ashamed. Today at the supermarket a lovely young man (who closely resemblled The Beast) was just in front of me in line (me - read senior citizen lady) and he turned and said let me unload that cart for you, miss. WOW! To be followed by a young woman who barged in front of me saying "can I go first/" She was rather quickly told that a please was in order and that was supported by me!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:39 pm

I was recently on a train with a colleague and as I was getting off said thank you to the crew member at the door. My colleague looked at me shocked and said ‘you’re far too polite’. I’m not sure some people realise how sometimes a simple ‘thank you’ can positively impact someone’s day.

Also a few years ago I flew with my 7 year old daughter in first on a 241. The immense pride I felt when the crew member said to me she was one of the most polite children she’d had the pleasure to serve stays with me now. Those children in the previous posts are really going to miss out in life (maybe not material things, but emotionally),
SKT-DK, PeS, flygirl68 and 14 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
I’ve just had a DYKWAIA (Don’t You Know What An Idiot I Am) moment.

Logged in to my account on Sunday to make my EU261 claim for BA115 to JFK being cancelled on Friday and realised I’m 10TP away from re-qualifying for gold with a year end of 8th October. Bit of a first world panic for the last couple of the days as I wonder how I could get my calculations so wrong.

Start looking at weekends away, but can’t fit anything in with wife’s travel and some football commitments. Decide to just book a B2B to AMS and offset with a handful of Avios.

A minute after I booked the second leg, it dawned on me that I need 10TP now - I’m still in NY and have 140TP coming from my flight home on Thursday

DYKWAIA
October? Surely in true FT spirit you have enough time to get to 2,500 TP and a GUF2 by then? :-)
Old Aug 7, 2019, 1:26 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
I was recently on a train with a colleague and as I was getting off said thank you to the crew member at the door. My colleague looked at me shocked and said ‘you’re far too polite’. I’m not sure some people realise how sometimes a simple ‘thank you’ can positively impact someone’s day.

Also a few years ago I flew with my 7 year old daughter in first on a 241. The immense pride I felt when the crew member said to me she was one of the most polite children she’d had the pleasure to serve stays with me now. Those children in the previous posts are really going to miss out in life (maybe not material things, but emotionally),
i always say thanks to the bus driver. Just seems normal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.