Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Charlie120
Long time lurker, first time poster, and straight in with my own almost DYKWIA moment!
I find you almost have to be a DYKWIA at YYZ to get any benefits you are entitled to.
In my early 30's find myself still getting accused of being in the wrong place at first check-in, priority security, at the old BA lounge RIP.
wrp96 and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
L As I get to him, I start to show my boarding pass before he tells me "You need to use the machine. Go over there and you can check in yourself.". I told him that I tried that, but the machine said I needed to seek assistance.
I think this might be a YYZ thing, last month I went up to a completely empty CW check desk and I got barked for not using the machines. I just replied I'd rather check in here, cue much huffing and puffing from the check in assistant. This followed by a negation with the security to allow me through fast track. Didn't make the experience feel very premium.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by milkyway88
I think this might be a YYZ thing, last month I went up to a completely empty CW check desk and I got barked for not using the machines. I just replied I'd rather check in here, cue much huffing and puffing from the check in assistant. This followed by a negation with the security to allow me through fast track. Didn't make the experience feel very premium.
I had the beginnings of this coming back from LUX in October. Arrived and walked to the desk for the club line. Dressed in shorts and baseball cap. Agent says you do know this is the line for our business class passengers. I replied discreetly with a smile and said is seat 1F not in business class today. Agent and I shared a smile and I was on my way quickly.

It wasn't something which particularly bothered me but also something to stand your ground over.
Unionruler and Newbtravelle like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by mapleg
I think a lot of drama could have been avoided by simply saying to the fellow (the first time)...I have a first class ticket..where do I check in?
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Having said that, the first response from me to his challenge would have been "Even though we are in first class?" which hopefully would have put the matter beyond doubt.
That certainly would have been easier, but I was exhausted and also slightly concerned that the desk might have been closed, and so had I said "I'm in first" it might have caused an accidental DYKWIA moment...

However, the gatekeeper's first response should have been more like "Can I help you?" or "Can I see your boarding pass?", and less like "Go away".
NoY, BadgerBoi, LTN Phobia and 9 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
That certainly would have been easier, but I was exhausted and also slightly concerned that the desk might have been closed, and so had I said "I'm in first" it might have caused an accidental DYKWIA moment...

However, the gatekeeper's first response should have been more like "Can I help you?" or "Can I see your boarding pass?", and less like "Go away".
I dress like you and fortunately haven't had the issue yet. If it's not a problem for so many check-in counters in so many airports, why should YYZ be any different?

My answer would have been "I know where I'm going thanks." keep walking and present my passport at the counter for check-in.
mapleg and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Once a T5 CW/CE gatekeeper asked me "Travelling in business today sir?". I said "No, I'm in WTP but I'm a mere Bronze".

"Come right through" was his response.

Polite and does the job, which should have been the case by Charlie120's gatekeeper IMO.

Last edited by Paren; Jul 3, 2019 at 10:44 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:35 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
A bit of charm from staff is very nice. It makes such a difference to the journey.
Tobias-UK and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Whenever I’m dressed casually for a flight (somewhere hot and invariably for a holiday) I have my Panama with me. If I detect a furrowed brow or a questioning look as I approach, a quick flourish of the hat does the trick and I’m ushered into Premium checkin/security/boarding etc. Very DYKWHTI! (Do you know what hat this is).
deeruck, wrp96, firstlight and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Had a similar experience myself with F check in at YYZ many years back. He soon changed his tune when he saw on the system that not only was I gold, but had also been upgraded.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: IHG Gold

Sorry, I don't really get this. Why would you first assume the desk might be closed and secondly, saying you are in first class is not a DYKWIA moment. Now, yelling and screaming at the jetbridge to butt people of the way..that's a DYKWIA moment !
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:16 pm

I think a lot of drama could have been avoided by simply saying to the fellow (the first time)...I have a first class ticket..where do I check in?

It is not easier to check yourself in that go to the F check in counter and get the proper service that you are paying for.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think BA needs to retrain this person and if it's not successful, then they need to review his position. Grossly inappropriate behaviour by the staff member IMO. A lot of F pax dress pretty appallingly anyway, so he might be offending a lot of people.

Having said that, the first response from me to his challenge would have been "Even though we are in first class?" which hopefully would have put the matter beyond doubt.

"Whichever you wish!" is the answer.
Sorry, I don't really get this. Why would you first assume the desk might be closed and secondly, saying you are in first class is not a DYKWIA moment. Now, yelling and screaming at the jetbridge to butt people of the way..that's a DYKWIA moment !
All emphasis appeared to be on the self-service, so had a feeling it might not be open. Not sure. Lesson learnt!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
your situation could just have been handled a lot better..."can I see your boarding pass, to make sure I send you to the right place"; "hello sir, are you travelling with us in first class this evening?" etc. - almost anything other than the 'you belong over there' attitude...which is frankly appalling for those passengers who are actually travelling in First (however they appear to be dressed...) and to be honest very rude even to those passengers who are in economy with no status and simply may not know where to go

it's rare, but I really hate that attitude; even when I'm the 'right' side of the dividing line the agent is seeking to enforce so aggressively, it makes me very uncomfortable that anyone should behave like this to other passengers even if it's ostensibly 'for my benefit'
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:21 pm

I would’ve asked the person back, “Hmm... what do you see on my boarding pass?”
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:44 pm

So keep in mind I'm baby-faced and in my mid-twenties, am dressed in tracksuit style shorts, t-shirt, and baseball cap .....
The answer is clear, you failed to make the cut. Real F passengers carry a MacDonalds meal deal and a ghettoblaster.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:18 pm

In hindsight, of course a sassy response would’ve been good. But in all seriousness, I think it’s a must to put these people in their place. No one deserves such treatment, even if they’re a lost economy passenger approaching the First queue by mistake. I would’ve probably asked for his name and supervisor, although experience has taught me that this normally doesn’t work at airports because the army closes its ranks if you want to make a complaint.
Dover2Golf and Cotumely like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.