Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by Mordac
Travelling from LIS-MAD yesterday on IB, I arrive to find someone already in my seat 1A. The man who I assumed to be her husband was in 1C. I was the only other passenger in J. I tell the cabin crew there's someone in my seat, to which they proceed to tell me to pick a seat anywhere else--apparently IB is WN now!

I sat in 1F and had the sun shine on me the whole flight. It was just an hour hop so I didn't want to make a fuss, but it did annoy me a bit.
There's your problem, right there 😁
TeflonMan and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Travelling from LIS-MAD yesterday on IB, I arrive to find someone already in my seat 1A. The man who I assumed to be her husband was in 1C. I was the only other passenger in J. I tell the cabin crew there's someone in my seat, to which they proceed to tell me to pick a seat anywhere else--apparently IB is WN now!

I sat in 1F and had the sun shine on me the whole flight. It was just an hour hop so I didn't want to make a fuss, but it did annoy me a bit.
Is this a problem of you not knowing who Mr 1A is, or of IB knowing who he is, or of IB not knowing who you are?
phenombr and WickedStepMother like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:28 am

Older gentleman in Gatter's Flounge listening to cricket at full blast without headphones.

There are morse faux pas and I often take a work call here but still, definitely isn't cricket.

Everyone too polite to comment
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by flyer200
Older gentleman in Gatter's Flounge listening to cricket at full blast without headphones.

There are morse faux pas and I often take a work call here but still, definitely isn't cricket.

Everyone too polite to comment
Well he can turn it off now
estate, YacozA, BotB and 6 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: QF WP

my recent tranche of Iberia flights, I had booked an exit row seat for every single one, and on around 50% of occasions I got on board to find a deadheading crew in my seat- no dramas as I know they need to arrive rested but it would be nice to be asked
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
There's your problem, right there 😁
Sadly until BA start flying to BHX, sometimes the convenience of IB outweighs these issues (plus I do find MAD a pleasure to connect through).

Originally Posted by LCY8737
Is this a problem of you not knowing who Mr 1A is, or of IB knowing who he is, or of IB not knowing who you are?
Just plopping yourself in whatever seat you fancy is a pretty DWKWIA behaviour, imo.

Originally Posted by nancypants

my recent tranche of Iberia flights, I had booked an exit row seat for every single one, and on around 50% of occasions I got on board to find a deadheading crew in my seat- no dramas as I know they need to arrive rested but it would be nice to be asked
She definitely wasn't crew.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum

Should have sat in 1B...
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:59 am

Y'all never told me what a delight the LUX lounge is for DYKWIAs...So many suits on phones shouting finance-related words even at the late timing of the BA flight.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Flew back from NCE yesterday and asked the CSD upon boarding whether I could switch with 13B. He was really lovely about it, gave my little one a smile, and said he would find me shortly.

So I headed to 1A with my infant, but due to a last minute booking, Mrsmsm2000uk was only in ET...in 13A.

CSD said he would see me after boarding, but appreciated my angle on the request opposed to asking for Mrs to be upgraded.

Boarding completed, and the CSD explains to me what he will do, at which point 1C pipes up that "Ah, theres always someone who tries this onboard. I'm not moving for anybody". What a charmer.

CSD gives a wry smile, and returns with the iPad for maximum effect before saying "Mrmsm2000uk, welcome back onboard. And Minimsm2000uk, so lovely to see you again. As one of our GGL and CCR members, I gather you spoke to our head of (BA Dept) last week. I hope she resolved the issue you had, and if I can help at all, please remember I'm here to help". CSD then looks down at 1C, looks at iPad, and moves to greet 1D.

Quite amusing, and shows you get nowhere for being rude!

CSD ended up moving me to 12D, and Mrs to 12F so we could look after the infant together.

M
​​​​​It's amazing how you get the DYKWIA upper hand with regards to your status pretty consistently. I've read several of your DYKWIA's over the years and I have to say I'm still waiting for mine.... then again I'm nobody special in the status stakes so doubtful mine would make for anecdote of the year. Partridge would be proud
GaxxyFlyer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
​​​​​It's amazing how you get the DYKWIA upper hand with regards to your status pretty consistently. I've read several of your DYKWIA's over the years and I have to say I'm still waiting for mine.... then again I'm nobody special in the status stakes so doubtful mine would make for anecdote of the year. Partridge would be proud
BA have, for some reason, started looking after me over the past 12 months.

Not sure whether it's because of GfL, or because they really like my money going to other OneWorld airlines, but they've decided to pay me some attention and it keeps me interested!

All of that being said, I was dragged up properly, and taught to treat people as you would want to be treated, so I'm always polite and friendly to the crew - which, sometimes, goes a very long way.

M
SkyTeem and stephenjc like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:18 pm

Haha I think the CSD appreciated the fact that i had no issue with moving to 13B, opposed to most who expect the person in the better seat to move (asking 1C to move for example).

M
Wow, what a noble and altruistic act on your part!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:34 am

All of that being said, I was dragged up properly, and taught to treat people as you would want to be treated, so I'm always polite and friendly to the crew - which, sometimes, goes a very long way.

M
This.

A cabin crew friend of mine (not BA) has all manner of stories referring to the way she and others are treated by pax. One woman with a child who, when served their meal the mother said to the child, "Oh you don't need to say thank you. They are here to serve us." Yeah - until there's an emergency and they save your sorry life. Unbelievable.
tropikey, T8191, BotB and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by PAL62V
This.

A cabin crew friend of mine (not BA) has all manner of stories referring to the way she and others are treated by pax. One woman with a child who, when served their meal the mother said to the child, "Oh you don't need to say thank you. They are here to serve us." Yeah - until there's an emergency and they save your sorry life. Unbelievable.
That is extraordinary. I've seen it in Asia and the Middle East where staff are - regretfully often - treated with disdain or as invisible. If this happened on a European flight, I despair about the state of the education system and of people's humanity.
Worcester and TheOldMan like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
This.

I have had the same thing happen. A little boy and his dad came into the galley for a coke, I got it and got down to his level and gave it to him, he took it, I said playfully “ Now what do you say?” His dad from above me said the exact same words.

Last edited by flygirl68; Aug 6, 2019 at 4:37 am
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:29 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by flygirl68

I have the same thing happen. A little boy and his dad came into the galley for a coke, I got it and got down to his level and gave it to him, he took it, I said playfully “ Now what do you say?” His dad from above me said the exact same words.

I wonder what would happen to his food in a restaurant if he spoke to a waiter like that...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.