Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by golfmad
I love the way AA always refer to 'D as in David' as they can't bring themselves to refer to a competitor
It's not so much a competition issue as it confuses infrequent flyers. The plane train announcements at ATL use the NATO phoenetic alphabet to describe the different concourse lettering except for D concourse, which is also 'David' (APCO radiotelephony spelling alphabet) , in part because for a long time, D concourse was where Delta actually didn't really have any gates.
BotB likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:11 am

Probably posted many times before: dude in TXL lounge filling his glass with ice from bucket using hands. I'm not precious but this isn't on
watersign likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by flyer200
Probably posted many times before: dude in TXL lounge filling his glass with ice from bucket using hands. I'm not precious but this isn't on
More bad etiquette than DYKWIA though
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I
If more people donated their time to "battle scammers through wasting scammers' time", I think we might eventually win the war with scammers in some small ways. Scammers aren't ignorant of what they are doing and I really object to those who try to find unsuspecting victims, who are often clueless and frightened of something may have gone wrong.
My dad passed away very suddenly in June.

My mum transferred his BT account into her name. I was really surprised how quickly the scam calls came her using the latest details on bt.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
OK, I’m unsubscribing from this Thread.

Sorry about your father, origin
BadgerBoi, origin, estate and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:59 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Had my first true DYKWIA last night,

Where: Nantes ( Which has totally been Ryanaised)

Check in: We got there early so was about 3rd in the queue when they opened the desks, There was no club Europe desks open at this stage, Then someone came over typed on the desk beside the two that was open and then walked away about a minute later the screen changed to Club Europe above the desk which now didn't have anyone sat at it. Upon seeing that mr DYKWIA at the cafe next door jumped up with his family and went around all the barriers and the queue about 15 long now and walked up to the desk. We were now next in the queue.
He didn't like this was after a bit of passport tapping walked down to an other airlines desk and said that we was waiting and they sent him back to the desk and it was nothing to do with them.

More passport tapping ensured and then said to the girl checking in people at the desk next to him, 'I'm gold and I'm waiting'

I think the eyes in my head rolled so much I think I seen the back of my head. At this I was also not having it When the person in front left I jumped in front of him and when I was told he was gold I also said 'So am I and was queuing long before he arrived.'

Bags checked in we went to find a seat air side as there is no lounge. After a while we said we would go through passport control to the gate area, The plane was delayed and the police must of known as passport control was closed and we took a seat. This was not good enough for Mr gold, He sat his family down by the door awaiting passport control. He was first through when they arrived. To another gate seated area, We are still 1 hr away from take off.

I seen the plane land and they announced boarding (I guess this is a Ryanair thing) He was first through Little did we know for 45 minutes in the jet bridge, Where I heard the kids ask are we getting dinner as they didn't get any, At this point I expected them to be in row 1 as 4 seats had been taken months ago, But once cleaning was done they ran on, Not to row 1 but to row 7 behind the curtain.
T8191, YacozA, watersign and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: too many
Nantes is a crazy airport in terms of passenger flows, passport control, etc...I miss the old days when BA served Angers
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Red, HH Gold
AA Lifetime Platinum (2 million miler- LT OW Sapphire) at WAW J check in today- claiming they should be given one of the blocked seats in J because of their lifetime status (in ignorance of the bag drop/ check in agent’s explanations that seat were blocked by London and there was nothing they could do) then sat in lounge talking obnoxiously loudly on the phone (well, if you call AirPods the phone...). Then raced off to the gate to ensure they were the first in group 1 (which to my sadness they were).
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:13 am

TPE - KUL on MH this week. On arrival, while waiting to deplane, some bloke struck up a conversation with the chief steward up front... Gold tag dutifully dangling from his cabin luggage... and declaring that “I fly with you a lot” (multiple declarations!) and ended with “I’m almost Concorde level with BA”.

Perhaps BA should institute a test (like that of a membership pre interview) to weed out people who don’t get the right terminology (there’s no such thing as Concorde level!) before dishing out any status!
Old Aug 22, 2019, 10:30 am

Considering how Concorde was a machine that never turn profit, was as unreliable as a Simca 1000 after a thunderstorm and had the bad habit of leaking everywhere I doubt how anyone would want to be at its level...
msm2000uk and nancypants like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: BA GGLFL, EK Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
Considering how Concorde was a machine that never turn profit, was as unreliable as a Simca 1000 after a thunderstorm and had the bad habit of leaking everywhere I doubt how anyone would want to be at its level...
No. Concorde was a thing of beauty, a masterpiece of engineering, a fabulous way to get across the Atlantic and provided a uniquely wonderful experience. Definitely aspirational, in my view.
LondonElite, NoY, SKT-DK and 15 others like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by NRGsaver
No. Concorde was a thing of beauty, a masterpiece of engineering, a fabulous way to get across the Atlantic and provided a uniquely wonderful experience. Definitely aspirational, in my view.
I guess it's a question of point of views. I had quite a few colleagues who still don't remember anything of the three-day bender they did to celebrate her retirement and not having to maintain her anymore.
Worcester, nancypants and etiene like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: too many
Originally Posted by 13901
I guess it's a question of point of views. I had quite a few colleagues who still don't remember anything of the three-day bender they did to celebrate her retirement and not having to maintain her anymore.
Concorde was like a French lady I once knew: looks lovely, but terrible temper and high-maintenance :-)
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ng1265
Concorde was like a French lady I once knew: looks lovely, but terrible temper and high-maintenance :-)
I bet you loved her nevertheless!
Old Aug 23, 2019, 12:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Flights to/from NCE are always ripe for this sort of behaviour; today's came from a most surprising of passengers.

Flight was on a remote stand, so a bus gate. However, there was a Mercedes van ahead of it, so I figured someone would be getting a special ride.

Get to the gate and the Prem has gone through with his Concorde Team agent.

Now on board, and said Prem is complaining that they sent a Mercedes van for him opposed to the Jaguar that "has much softer leather".

Apparently even Prems suffer first world problems!

M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.