Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by fdem

i always say thanks to the bus driver. Just seems normal
Indeed it's common courtesy in my opinion and both our kids are encouraged to do so as well, if not they get the parent stare until it's said
Old Aug 7, 2019, 3:52 am

I always say thank you on public transport, even to bouncers when I walk out of a nightclub.

On a flight if I pop into the galley I also ask the CC how their day is going before asking for some more miniatures. Don't know if it's my politeness or wanting to get rid of me but they always ask how many I want.

Something that costs nothing but I think is very important to how you carry yourself.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Cw novice
I always say thank you on public transport, even to bouncers when I walk out of a nightclub.

On a flight if I pop into the galley I also ask the CC how their day is going before asking for some more miniatures. Don't know if it's my politeness or wanting to get rid of me but they always ask how many I want.

Something that costs nothing but I think is very important to how you carry yourself.
The latter I reckon. I have been known to walk out of shops after being approached by one too many over-friendly assistants asking how my day is going!
Old Aug 7, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother

The latter I reckon. I have been known to walk out of shops after being approached by one too many over-friendly assistants asking how my day is going!
This.

It was like being on a ghost train in GAP in NYC last week. Every time I turned a corner another zombie would pop out "FIND EVERYTHING YOU NEED?".
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G

I'm one for politeness and for the first few times I'll also say 'good thank you, I'm just looking' or other pleasantries, after the third time I'll say 'thank you, just browsing but I'll be sure to ask if I need anything, thanks.' after that, it's fair game...if I'm asked again, I'll say 'thanks for asking, not so well, you see, I've just been to the doctors and been told I've got herpes or some STD'...they seem to leave me alone after that. I'm patient but after 4 people in a small store ask the same thing it becomes a bit much...
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Well so let's think about Downton Abbey (no moans and all that).....they always said thank you to their staff....those who are accustomed to status and money know the way to treat those around them...those who feel they have to "show" their "status" and "money" will not. It's simple really....the wanna be's and the nouveau pretty regularly show their deficiencies! Those poor children...it will serve them poorly for life and those parents should be ashamed. Today at the supermarket a lovely young man (who closely resemblled The Beast) was just in front of me in line (me - read senior citizen lady) and he turned and said let me unload that cart for you, miss. WOW! To be followed by a young woman who barged in front of me saying "can I go first/" She was rather quickly told that a please was in order and that was supported by me!
Well, up to a point Lord Copper. It's also the case that throughout human history the rich and their servants have lived in close proximity. So politeness over the long term has the added practical benefit of being served pee-free soup One of the things about flying is that even with 100 sectors a year, you rarely see the same crew member twice. For some, the fact that interactions are "throwaway" seems to be an enabler for bad behaviour. Or maybe they treat their domestic staff the same way, especially when complaining about the soup
MADPhil likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by BotB
I'm one for politeness and for the first few times I'll also say 'good thank you, I'm just looking' or other pleasantries, after the third time I'll say 'thank you, just browsing but I'll be sure to ask if I need anything, thanks.' after that, it's fair game...if I'm asked again, I'll say 'thanks for asking, not so well, you see, I've just been to the doctors and been told I've got herpes or some STD'...they seem to leave me alone after that. I'm patient but after 4 people in a small store ask the same thing it becomes a bit much...
An elderly friend of mine in Australia would use a similar method to deal with unsolicited phone calls. He would give a full and frank answer to the cheery ‘G’day, how are you today?’. The caller would invariably hang up before he did.
T8191, BotB, SaraJH and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
This.
It was like being on a ghost train in GAP in NYC last week. Every time I turned a corner another zombie would pop out "FIND EVERYTHING YOU NEED?".
Originally Posted by BotB
My wife will pleased to read that she's not alone! She detests being pestered by shop floorwalkers, and she's going to have to bite her tongue a few times next month ... we're doing a 2-week "Shop Virginia"

She did successfully disarm one in Montego Bay a few years back. "If you leave me alone to look around, I might actually buy something. I'll ask if I need any help."
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: BAEC
Staff working in chain stores will only be offering assistance because they're told to. I don't like to be dismissive of people who are just doing their job and respect a 'no thank you'.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:56 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by u01sss3
Staff working in chain stores will only be offering assistance because they're told to. I don't like to be dismissive of people who are just doing their job and respect a 'no thank you'.
I think we've all mentioned that we do try to say thanks and be courteous to such staff, and of course, in some cultures (North America for example) it is demanded that staff approach and greet new customers in the store (and in some cases only get commission on sales they make) so this is to be expected and generally can be dealt with pleasantly enough, however, when you can't turn around without being asked yet again (after having just said thanks but no)...it becomes too much and is counterproductive to the stores interest.

Last Aug. I had to leave the flagship 'Roots' clothing store in Vancouver city centre after just a few minutes as I was approached no less than 8 times in the space of 5 minutes...that is too much (even for this polite Canadian).
flygirl68, T8191, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

An elderly friend of mine in Australia would use a similar method to deal with unsolicited phone calls. He would give a full and frank answer to the cheery ‘G’day, how are you today?’. The caller would invariably hang up before he did.
I keep the scam callers talking as long as I possibly can for the purpose of public service (so that they can't be talking to unsuspecting victims). Pretending I don't know where the Start button on my computer is is actually quite good fun.

I then shame them towards the end of the call by telling them that they should be ashamed of themselves to be trying to scam people, play a right DYKWIA, followed by calling them all sorts of names including the severest possible swearwords right at the end of the call, tell them that the entire call has been recorded and forwarded to the police and cut them off.

That is how I expend my swearing quota on anyone other than my husband (with whom I swear quite a bit about certain things) so that I do not commit that offence on this forum
GrayBDG, PAL62V, T8191 and 9 others like this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
... tell them that the entire call has been recorded and forwarded to the police and cut them off.
I'm going to use that line from now on. I'm going to tell them upfront that the call is being recorded for quality and training purposes
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I keep the scam callers talking as long as I possibly can for the purpose of public service (so that they can't be talking to unsuspecting victims). Pretending I don't know where the Start button on my computer is is actually quite good fun.

I then shame them towards the end of the call by telling them that they should be ashamed of themselves to be trying to scam people, play a right DYKWIA, followed by calling them all sorts of names including the severest possible swearwords right at the end of the call, tell them that the entire call has been recorded and forwarded to the police and cut them off.

That is how I expend my swearing quota on anyone other than my husband (with whom I swear quite a bit about certain things) so that I do not commit that offence on this forum
So I'm not the only one who does this then.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold; Turkish Miles&SmilesElite;; Freccia Alata Plus; Amex Platinum; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold Elit
Originally Posted by PAL62V
Plus one. I’ve managed 20 minutes on a quiet day. And if you want to know more about the scammers, have a look at the detective work undertaken by Jim Browning on his YouTube channel. The money these reprobates make would enable them to fly F everywhere.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by PAL62V
I think I once managed to keep “Microsoft Technical Services” going for a good 10 minutes. The noise from his kitchen and the children was always a good clue, of course, but I played the dim old bloke to string him along. When I got bored, I pointed out it was a Mac ... and invited him to F.O.

I used to get the calls quite often. If busy, the response woukd be “Oh, hello again. Still busy scamming.” He would then hang up.
IntVic and rockflyertalk like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.