Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by FT01
Not perhaps a direct DYKWIA moment, more just a general sense of self-importance.
But I'm currently sat in Glasgow airport BA lounge while one man shouts loudly down his phone about something related to work (tedious work at that, nothing juicy).
That was bad enough, but the other 'gentleman' near me is now shouting down his phone, but also has the other person on loudspeaker so I get to hear them talking as well.

I've had a stressful morning, so am pleased I managed to not get involved in chastising either of them.

They've both now stopped, within seconds of each other. So I guess I should be grateful I didn't make a scene!
Do You Know How Restrained I Was?
Well done, that can get the blood up on anyone (even relaxed)...next time consider doing the following (even if you don't do it, it should give you a cheshire cat smile that will have them scared or wondering!) (video is how to handle people talking on their mobiles in airports <by mimicking their conversation>)

Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by FT01
Not perhaps a direct DYKWIA moment, more just a general sense of self-importance.
But I'm currently sat in Glasgow airport BA lounge while one man shouts loudly down his phone about something related to work (tedious work at that, nothing juicy).
That was bad enough, but the other 'gentleman' near me is now shouting down his phone, but also has the other person on loudspeaker so I get to hear them talking as well.

I've had a stressful morning, so am pleased I managed to not get involved in chastising either of them.

They've both now stopped, within seconds of each other. So I guess I should be grateful I didn't make a scene!
Do You Know How Restrained I Was?

Perhaps they were talking to each other!
lhrpete, CloudGazer and ubiest like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by BotB
Well done, that can get the blood up on anyone (even relaxed)...next time consider doing the following (even if you don't do it, it should give you a cheshire cat smile that will have them scared or wondering!) (video is how to handle people talking on their mobiles in airports <by mimicking their conversation>)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA1J-raGinQ
That may work the in the US, but I'm quite confident the same behaviour in glasgow would get me lamped!
Scots_Al, BotB, stephenjc and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Thursday morning at the normally calm NCL BA Lounge and in walks a very DYKWIA - rather bright hawaiian shirt, denim shorts and a very loud voice.

DYKWIA to lounge staff member - "But I am Bronze and always have lounge access with you"

Lounge staff member to DYKWIA - "Yes sir when you travel with BA on a ticket that qualifies for lounge access"

DYKWIA - "But I am travelling Virgin Upper Class"

Lounge staff - "But not from Newcastle sir"

DYKWIA -" But I booked this ticket separately to get the cheapest fare and you are even making me pick up my bags in Heathrow"

Lounge staff - A very polite explanation followed I am sorry sir but there is the Aspire Lounge you can try next door.

A ten minute debate ensued about "my entitlement" as a Bronze card Executive card member - the lounge staff member was model of politeness and firmness and sadly the Bronze member retreated next to be seen in telling the crew he was a Bronze member and stuck in 20E on a full flight............
RoyalSwazi, T8191, frasier and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: BA
Don’t know if this has been linked to before. Some internet chap has cut all of the meltdowns captured on the easyJet TV programme ‘Airline’ into short condensed snippettes from each episode. Each set is about 10mins long.

Lots of premium DYKWIA, but mostly people arriving late at check in and being offloaded.

Kept me amused for a bit!

Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Brighterside
Thursday morning at the normally calm NCL BA Lounge and in walks a very DYKWIA - rather bright hawaiian shirt, denim shorts and a very loud voice.

DYKWIA to lounge staff member - "But I am Bronze and always have lounge access with you"

Lounge staff member to DYKWIA - "Yes sir when you travel with BA on a ticket that qualifies for lounge access"

DYKWIA - "But I am travelling Virgin Upper Class"

Lounge staff - "But not from Newcastle sir"

DYKWIA -" But I booked this ticket separately to get the cheapest fare and you are even making me pick up my bags in Heathrow"

Lounge staff - A very polite explanation followed I am sorry sir but there is the Aspire Lounge you can try next door.

A ten minute debate ensued about "my entitlement" as a Bronze card Executive card member - the lounge staff member was model of politeness and firmness and sadly the Bronze member retreated next to be seen in telling the crew he was a Bronze member and stuck in 20E on a full flight............
So this begs the question once you are at the BA lounge in NCL I'd assume there's no way to reach the Aspire lounge other than by exiting domestic arrivals and going back through security? The reason I ask is that the Aspire lounge is located before the departures corridor splits into International and Domestic and there's - as far as I am aware - no way of getting back once you're in the domestic one.
frasier likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Is it not next door? I thought you walked about 50metres past it to get to the BA lounge. I am sure the resident expert CWS will know!

I know there is a door where you leave and turn right for the BA lounge but you can get back through it by lifting the telephone and asking.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by malkie
Don’t know if this has been linked to before. Some internet chap has cut all of the meltdowns captured on the easyJet TV programme ‘Airline’ into short condensed snippettes from each episode. Each set is about 10mins long.

Lots of premium DYKWIA, but mostly people arriving late at check in and being offloaded.

Kept me amused for a bit!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_kvSJNwnU-U
Is that John Bercow?
NoY, T8191 and dpfs like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by Mordac
Is that John Bercow?
Nah, too tall 🙂
origin, twincheeks and dpfs like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: QF WP
Is that John Bercow?
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Nah, too tall 🙂
john bercow sitting on the shoulders of another John bercow, and wearing a long coat
LCSinTexas, dpfs, jellifer and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, *A Silver, OW Emerald, HH Diamond, Karahi Express
I expect this thread will get quite a few new entries next week during the planned LHR strikes on 05/08 and 06/08.

1) No FW
2) No Fasttrack
3) No BoB 😊
4) Front Seat foot storage inconveniencing passenger in front
5) etc ... 😊
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:10 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Flew back from NCE yesterday and asked the CSD upon boarding whether I could switch with 13B. He was really lovely about it, gave my little one a smile, and said he would find me shortly.

So I headed to 1A with my infant, but due to a last minute booking, Mrsmsm2000uk was only in ET...in 13A.

CSD said he would see me after boarding, but appreciated my angle on the request opposed to asking for Mrs to be upgraded.

Boarding completed, and the CSD explains to me what he will do, at which point 1C pipes up that "Ah, theres always someone who tries this onboard. I'm not moving for anybody". What a charmer.

CSD gives a wry smile, and returns with the iPad for maximum effect before saying "Mrmsm2000uk, welcome back onboard. And Minimsm2000uk, so lovely to see you again. As one of our GGL and CCR members, I gather you spoke to our head of (BA Dept) last week. I hope she resolved the issue you had, and if I can help at all, please remember I'm here to help". CSD then looks down at 1C, looks at iPad, and moves to greet 1D.

Quite amusing, and shows you get nowhere for being rude!

CSD ended up moving me to 12D, and Mrs to 12F so we could look after the infant together.

M
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Flew back from NCE yesterday and asked the CSD upon boarding whether I could switch with 13B. He was really lovely about it, gave my little one a smile, and said he would find me shortly.

So I headed to 1A with my infant, but due to a last minute booking, Mrsmsm2000uk was only in ET...in 13A.

CSD said he would see me after boarding, but appreciated my angle on the request opposed to asking for Mrs to be upgraded.

Boarding completed, and the CSD explains to me what he will do, at which point 1C pipes up that "Ah, theres always someone who tries this onboard. I'm not moving for anybody". What a charmer.

CSD gives a wry smile, and returns with the iPad for maximum effect before saying "Mrmsm2000uk, welcome back onboard. And Minimsm2000uk, so lovely to see you again. As one of our GGL and CCR members, I gather you spoke to our head of (BA Dept) last week. I hope she resolved the issue you had, and if I can help at all, please remember I'm here to help". CSD then looks down at 1C, looks at iPad, and moves to greet 1D.

Quite amusing, and shows you get nowhere for being rude!

CSD ended up moving me to 12D, and Mrs to 12F so we could look after the infant together.

M
So the CSD did know who you were!
T8191, YacozA, wrp96 and 5 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:25 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
So the CSD did know who you were!
Haha I think the CSD appreciated the fact that i had no issue with moving to 13B, opposed to most who expect the person in the better seat to move (asking 1C to move for example).

M
wrp96 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:59 am

Travelling from LIS-MAD yesterday on IB, I arrive to find someone already in my seat 1A. The man who I assumed to be her husband was in 1C. I was the only other passenger in J. I tell the cabin crew there's someone in my seat, to which they proceed to tell me to pick a seat anywhere else--apparently IB is WN now!

I sat in 1F and had the sun shine on me the whole flight. It was just an hour hop so I didn't want to make a fuss, but it did annoy me a bit.
BotB, frasier and jfallesen like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.