Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
A blazer and cravat combo in lieu of the standard red trousers would be suitable alternative. Potentially a Panama depending upon route flown for the full effect.
Or a slightly wrinkled full linen suit, complete with panama and burnished walnut walking stick for physically moving lower status individuals out of your way?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by redflyer24
Or a slightly wrinkled full linen suit, complete with panama and burnished walnut walking stick for physically moving lower status individuals out of your way?
Was that you on my recent Madeira flight?
lhrpete, 1Aturnleft, mhy and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Do red shorts count? I'm 41, if that's relevant.
As far as I'm concerned yes why not, I've got a couple of decades on you so shorts may be effective for me at least for comedic factor whilst saying DYKWIA...
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Classic "red-trousered-pensioner" behaviour. They are everywhere these days!
To be a real McCoy red trouser lady - they have to have the pearl earrings! That's the giveaway!
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by redflyer24
Often seen on flights to and from the tropics/colonies.
Also on routes where the posher cruise ships have just docked. I flew home from Dubai a few years ago where the majority of Club was occupied by octogenarians wearing various combinations of the above. They'd all got off a 'Yachts of Seabourn' cruise and we're heading back home to Ascot/Henley/Virginia Water .... You get the picture.
nancypants and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Oh bother. I didn’t pack any red trousers on my current trip. How will they KWIA?
I just do not wear trousers at all, going Donald Duck style always get you boarded first!!
wrp96, Seppy and redflyer24 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by FEMW
To be a real McCoy red trouser lady - they have to have the pearl earrings! That's the giveaway!
and the over powering strong perfume which surrounds them with a 30 ft radius
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
I have a pair of bright fluorescent orange Superdry swim shorts which I think I shall wear every time I travel J from now on. If nothing else, at least the FTers will know who I am.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Oh, rats. Does this mean I need a pith helmet for my J trip to JNB next month to go with the linen suit? Should I tuck the gold card into the strap?
so3003 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:01 am

I've been commuting on the LHR-MXP route for a few months now, following a project in that sea of factories that lies north of Milan. There's always at least one fellow with Panama hat, chevalière and linen trousers (often pink/red), who'll look absolutely out of place and will be an irresistible beacon to the Centrale pickpockets.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:25 am

Red-Trousered DYKWIAs

This is a well-documented phenomenon. Those bemused by it may get a lot of value out of this blog.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737

Not quite. The red trousers mean that you will have to strongly announce who you are. Wearing a civilised colour saves you from reminding people who you are.
Worryingly I have a linen jacket to go with them, we could make DYKWIA bingo card, oh, and a Silver tag on my cabin bag!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
When flying to tropical countries, I wear a blue linen sports blazer, linen white shirt and linen beige trousers, often accompanied by a panama hat. I suppose it seems I look down on most of the other passengers!
endoman likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by BA97
This is a well-documented phenomenon. Those bemused by it may get a lot of value out of this blog.
The FT censors got to that URL so those so inclined will need to figure out the 4 letter word starting with "F".
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
The FT censors got to that URL so those so inclined will need to figure out the 4 letter word starting with "F".
Is it "lookatmyflamingredtrousers"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.