Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by FT01
Louis Vuitton luggage is tacky in the extreme, in my opinion.
About as tacky as using the price of the champagne served in F as the benchmark for how good the experience is.

That's not aimed at you BTW, just the countless times I see it mentioned in reviews, and can't help but roll my eyes.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
this is FT... in my daily life I do have other issues to concern myself with, but I didn’t realise that a lighthearted thread about DYKWIA would be quite so heavily post-policed. Maybe I just happen to have a different point of view as to what constitutes DYKWIA.
I’m all for being ‘light hearted’, but my point was that you were suggesting a fellow passenger as being a DYKWIA due to exposing his ‘bling’ when many posters who are equally critical have their ‘bling’ exposed for all to see next to their user name like a chapter from Tolstoy’s War and Peace.

I do believe the DYKWIA thread is one of the best on FT, but I always have a wry smile when I look left at the user name and what is below it when they have accused others of exhibiting DYKWIA behaviour.

Whether they actually hold the status they display is another matter of course.

We haven’t had a thread about bag tags for a few days, maybe we are overdue!🙂
Old Oct 5, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by passy777
I do believe the DYKWIA thread is one of the best on FT, but I always have a wry smile when I look left at the user name and what is below it when they have accused others of exhibiting DYKWIA behaviour.
Without wanting to drift OT, FT is a resource for helping others. If I'm asking for advice on using a Joker, I'm likely to take more seriously the post of someone who also shows they hold GGL status. Similarly, in the meet up threads where you cannot explicit state which lounge you'll be using, the status indicators show where people are likely to be.

Plus it also lets everyone know that my willy is bigger than theirs.
lhrpete, NoY, T8191 and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404

Well, that changes what the W stands for in DYKWIA anyway.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
I've seen monogrammed luggage before but this is a first (for me anyway), added DYKWIA points for having the Gold card positioned just right.

https://twitter.com/johngalea/status...20307866177536
Hashtagging their own name. Oooft.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Without wanting to drift OT, FT is a resource for helping others. If I'm asking for advice on using a Joker, I'm likely to take more seriously the post of someone who also shows they hold GGL status. Similarly, in the meet up threads where you cannot explicit state which lounge you'll be using, the status indicators show where people are likely to be.

Of course you are assuming that those who display their hotel/airline loyalty status actually have it!

Things are not always what they seem.

Using the willy analogy - I suspect many posters trousers are padded in the nether regions!
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by passy777
Of course you are assuming that those who display their hotel/airline loyalty status actually have it!

Things are not always what they seem.
Why would anyone come on an Anon flying geeks forum and pretend they have status???? That would take a very special person indeed.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by The Geek
Why would anyone come on an Anon flying geeks forum and pretend they have status???? That would take a very special person indeed.
I'm sure there are some that do this... I have my suspicions about one particular member who seems to post a lot about his/her F experiences. Looking at their posting history makes interesting reading It goes from flying a couple of times a year to multiple F flights and status in the space of a couple of months.

And no, I won't name and shame
SW7London and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I'm sure there are some that do this... I have my suspicions about one particular member who seems to post a lot about his/her F experiences. Looking at their posting history makes interesting reading It goes from flying a couple of times a year to multiple F flights and status in the space of a couple of months.

I have similar thoughts about a couple of posters (not you DYKWIA!)

Whenever I log on to FT, there are a couple of posters who pop up regularly on most threads, have five figure post counts and apparently have high status and frequently fly in premium cabins.

I’d love to know what occupations enables one to not only fly about the world in First/Business often, but also enables enough free time to post frequently on Flyertalk, presumably they also spend a fair amount of time reading FT too!

Where do they get their time to do their job! Prehaps they are self funded!
lhrpete, Padmeister, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I always thought Location and Programs were "basic/technical" account info in order to simplify interactions on the forum. Naive me?

P.S.
Maybe this digression should be transferred elsewhere (another thread or a dedicated one) and leave the DYKWIA thread to DYKWIA episodes?
T8191 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by SW7London

Whenever I log on to FT, there are a couple of posters who pop up regularly on most threads, have five figure post counts and apparently have high status and frequently fly in premium cabins.

I’d love to know what occupations enables one to not only fly about the world in First/Business often, but also enables enough free time to post frequently on Flyertalk, presumably they also spend a fair amount of time reading FT too!

Well it helps a lot if you have state / government clients, especially in the developing world 😜

Never had F signed off, but J was commonplace and you don't have to go SE Asia <-> Europe too many times before you're at 1500 ...
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by DYKWIA

OT/

to be fair that could also be legitimate. I have been (barely) scraping OWS with entirely domestic Australian flying for the last few years and needing assistance of QFF DSC offers etc to even get there. Then this year I decided to cash in all of the leave I hadn’t been taking and have done 2 big trips with more planned for next year

i dare say there are some Walter Mitty types around, as there are in any situation where humans are present. Although I anticipate most of the gold but not gold type program affiliations are just poor housekeeping (mine still had me as a LATAM plat until about 3 months ago which is a status I haven’t held for a number of years)

/OT
PETER01 and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by SW7London

I often think the more some one is posting, the less they are flying given that in the main, to date, you can't post in flight. I tend to give posters in the many thousands a wide berth for advice.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by nancypants
OT/

i dare say there are some Walter Mitty types around, as there are in any situation where humans are present. Although I anticipate most of the gold but not gold type program affiliations are just poor housekeeping (mine still had me as a LATAM plat until about 3 months ago which is a status I haven’t held for a number of years)

/OT
Housekeeping issue can be at the other end. I’ve been a top elite for about 7 years with one hotel chain - had about 3 paid stays with them in that time...
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:18 pm

May I self-report?

I recently had an LHR-OSL flight which left from T5B. We arrived shortly after the gate was posted and 20 minutes or more from when the flight actually boarded. The gate agent came out to the waiting area and asked if we were on his flight. I said we were. He said we would be required to check our carryons as it was a full flight and a "very small aircraft".

I threw a proper fit.

The bags were compliant with the size regulations, we were oneworld elites, we were connecting from a long-haul flight. An A319 is not a small aircraft. I gave pretty much every excuse I could think of and he was having none of it. What rubbed me the wrong way was that with just one exception (a suited business traveller who volunteered), those chosen to check their bags were either young couples or the very old. I felt stereotyped. It seems to me like they chose those passengers least likely to argue.

In the end we had an empty seat in our row and an empty bin above us.

I'm not at all proud of the loud, disagreeable fit that I threw. I could have handled it much better and more calmly. Lesson learned. Next time we'll arrive at the gate later and I will try to keep my mouth shut.
IAN-UK, NoY, T8191 and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.