Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA | 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Recent trip to MCO from LGW, generally a small no. of status pax on this route and no first class. A father and teenage son had been standing in front of the Visa conformance check desk for about 20 minutes when group 1 boarding was called (along with preboarders). This pair were blocking the various prams, small children etc. group of preboarders that had built up (are an occupational hazard of anything going to Orlando). Knowing CW is group 2, I wandered up behind them to hear "you're not group 1" to the response "but, but I am AA platinum Pro!!! and should be allowed on first". The agent stood their ground so I calmly and silently showed my BP, slipped round the side of the argument and as I wandered onto the jet way heard behind me the agent saying "but he is group 1".

BA ground staff seem to have sorted out the group boarding policy and are applying it more rigorously these days.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by u01sss3
My wife and I were waiting at the gate to board our flight to INV when group 1 was announced. We were in CE so started moving but were pushed past by a middle aged lady. I asked if she was more group 1 than the rest of us which she replied to with 'Oh I didn't mean to barge past you' after barging and remaining in front of us.
She spent the rest of the walk trying to get a look at my wife's boarding card to see if we did belong.
Nowt queer as folk.
Classic "red-trousered-pensioner" behaviour. They are everywhere these days!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LCY8737

Classic "red-trousered-pensioner" behaviour. They are everywhere these days!
Her trousers really were red!
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Now I know that, as a OAP, when I travel in my red trousers, I am expected to pull a DYKWIA! Wouldn't want to disappoint! ;-)
LCY8737, wrp96, Cymro and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by firstlight
Recent trip to MCO from LGW, generally a small no. of status pax on this route and no first class. A father and teenage son had been standing in front of the Visa conformance check desk for about 20 minutes when group 1 boarding was called (along with preboarders). This pair were blocking the various prams, small children etc. group of preboarders that had built up (are an occupational hazard of anything going to Orlando). Knowing CW is group 2, I wandered up behind them to hear "you're not group 1" to the response "but, but I am AA platinum Pro!!! and should be allowed on first". The agent stood their ground so I calmly and silently showed my BP, slipped round the side of the argument and as I wandered onto the jet way heard behind me the agent saying "but he is group 1".

BA ground staff seem to have sorted out the group boarding policy and are applying it more rigorously these days.
Platinum Pro doesn’t get access to group 1 even when traveling on AA. First Class and OWE is group 1. Plat/Plat Pro maps to OWS, so group 2 it is then.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by kileysmom
Now I know that, as a OAP, when I travel in my red trousers, I am expected to pull a DYKWIA! Wouldn't want to disappoint! ;-)
Oh come on, admit it, it was you.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

Platinum Pro doesn’t get access to group 1 even when traveling on AA. First Class and OWE is group 1. Plat/Plat Pro maps to OWS, so group 2 it is then.
OWE on AA is Group 2... .
Cymro, alex67500 and CloudGazer like this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by CKBA
OWE on AA is Group 2... .
thanks for the correction. That would bump PPRO down to group 3 then.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
I might buy some red trousers so I can throw a DYKWIA guilt free....(not that I have ever had a moment yet)
John
BotB and redrose59 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by thejohn
I might buy some red trousers so I can throw a DYKWIA guilt free....(not that I have ever had a moment yet)
John
Do red shorts count? I'm 41, if that's relevant.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have red trousers packed for my trip next week. Expect only the best service in the CCR as a result.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Oh bother. I didn’t pack any red trousers on my current trip. How will they KWIA?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:32 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
Oh bother. I didn’t pack any red trousers on my current trip. How will they KWIA?
Make sure you loudly announce your arrival into any lounge/plane you enter.
so3003, wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by endoman
I have red trousers packed for my trip next week. Expect only the best service in the CCR as a result.
Not quite. The red trousers mean that you will have to strongly announce who you are. Wearing a civilised colour saves you from reminding people who you are.
mhy likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
A blazer and cravat combo in lieu of the standard red trousers would be suitable alternative. Potentially a Panama depending upon route flown for the full effect.
A mate of mine at work actually bought a pair of 'rotarian reds' just for the Club World effect after he got a taste for F&J travel a few years ago. He'd already clocked the "uniform" of seasoned travellers after a couple of sectors and figured it would be a laugh and a way to fit in. That's the story he's spun to me anyway...

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 6, 2019 at 3:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.