Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I guess the point here is that BA are competing with LCCs who don't have to bear costs of lounge access at all, and the fliers they are looking for are the vast body of "normal" people who might otherwise select EasyJet or Norwegian, etc.

If you're a business traveller, essentially you'll be bound by corporate policy, which may be to select BA (if they've done their job well at the top of the ladder), or more usually for business SH, "select the cheapest". BA will pick up business from both of those scenarios if they are price-competitive, with or without lounge access being granted. And if they are price competitive they will also be picking up business from LCCs.

Another alternative is the "Admiral's Club" model where drinks and food are seriously restricted, but there is space to work. Or an additional charge on the ticket to allow lounge access in the low cost buckets, same as you can pay extra for luggage now.

I just don't see the current model where every silver and their mate has free rein whatever they've paid for the ticket being sustainable. I don't want things to change - not at least until I have the recipe for Cathay Delights - but at present this is a bit of a one way street towards the BA status holders.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MumbaiDan
What I heard is a bit different. Apparently they are considering to get rid of the Premier status and replace it with a new Concorde status. This new status can only be obtained with flights on IAG airlines in premium cabins and it will have "serious" benefits. Current Premier that don't achieve the new threshold will become GGL.
Sounds like some TP runners may in future be contemplating "CC" runs
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I just don't see the current model where every silver and their mate has free rein whatever they've paid for the ticket being sustainable. I don't want things to change - not at least until I have the recipe for Cathay Delights - but at present this is a bit of a one way street towards the BA status holders.
... and don't think lounge pilfering and stranger guesting has gone unnoticed. It’s got so bad at MAN that they now have notices on every fridge and by the food station stating that food and beverages are for consumption in the lounge only.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:05 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I guess the point here is that BA are competing with LCCs who don't have to bear costs of lounge access at all, and the fliers they are looking for are the vast body of "normal" people who might otherwise select EasyJet or Norwegian, etc.

If you're a business traveller, essentially you'll be bound by corporate policy, which may be to select BA (if they've done their job well at the top of the ladder), or more usually for business SH, "select the cheapest". BA will pick up business from both of those scenarios if they are price-competitive, with or without lounge access being granted. And if they are price competitive they will also be picking up business from LCCs.

Another alternative is the "Admiral's Club" model where drinks and food are seriously restricted, but there is space to work. Or an additional charge on the ticket to allow lounge access in the low cost buckets, same as you can pay extra for luggage now.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...y-delight.html
bisonrav likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Airways45
I recall hearing that there's a list of Prems and CCR holders travelling through LHR each day and presumably staff are briefed. Given that the BA check-in system doesn't show if you are a CCR it doesn't also (in my experience) flag to the agent to ask for SS (if their resources allow). Until the two are linked (or if SS accesses the booking in advance and puts a message for the agent to call them) it's highly possible they will miss you if you are a GGL/CCR not in First. ..
Well, for the year I was a 7,000 TP CCR holder, I didn't get engaged by SS once in the whole year and was still travelling almost every week. So it was 100% miss for me for that year. To be fair, I am not clear on what I would have needed from them anyway, but I was never searched out, even if travelling in F..
Markie and SkyTeem like this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:32 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Any lounge access changes would have to go hand in hand with you being able to select booking class on a BA holidays booking. My TPs mainly come from
one or two BA LH trips in J/F per year, then top up as needed with CE. The rest of my flying on BA is on low-cost holidays bookings, usually, as whenever we go away bike racing we need a car. Losing status benefits on those tickets would totally defeat the purpose of status chasing for me and therefore kill any loyalty to BA on LH.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Well, for the year I was a 7,000 TP CCR holder, I didn't get engaged by SS once in the whole year and was still travelling almost every week. So it was 100% miss for me for that year. To be fair, I am not clear on what I would have needed from them anyway, but I was never searched out, even if travelling in F..
SS haven't engaged with me once in the 4 I've been GGL/CCR.

Now I appreciate that for the first 2 years, I was earning 70% of my TPs on QR, but I am now very BA/AA heavy - and still, nothing.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I think that if BA are going to make CCR a 'strive to earn it' Tier, then they really need to up their game in terms of the on-ground product.

M
Markie likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by DFB_london

overhaul of BAEC coming. Was due in March now delayed a few weeks.
Dynamic pricing (more seats, higher redemption costs, much higher in some cases), tier threshold requirements reviewed (changes still a maybe), and lounge access potentially reviewed. Former is a backdoor likely old fashioned devaluation the latter perhaps welcomed if it prevents locust-like lounge F&B binging by £39 one way fare punters who arrive 4 hours before. Don’t blame them but the economics are a bit twisted when you think neither AA or QF would permit this. (And neither did BA in the 1990s).

This (sounding informed, pros and cons to be debated ) claim/rumour/ statement/ fact feels like it deserves its own thread away from the GGL parent. It would fit with the "current climate" ; anyone have any more detail?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Gold, Eurostar CB, FB Explorer
Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
Any lounge access changes would have to go hand in hand with you being able to select booking class on a BA holidays booking. My TPs mainly come from
one or two BA LH trips in J/F per year, then top up as needed with CE. The rest of my flying on BA is on low-cost holidays bookings, usually, as whenever we go away bike racing we need a car. Losing status benefits on those tickets would totally defeat the purpose of status chasing for me and therefore kill any loyalty to BA on LH.

Why would they have to? Perfectly plausible to have lounge access taken away from low cost holiday bookings.

Would I like that? Not the point!
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:55 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DFB_london

overhaul of BAEC coming. Was due in March now delayed a few weeks.
Dynamic pricing (more seats, higher redemption costs, much higher in some cases), tier threshold requirements reviewed (changes still a maybe), and lounge access potentially reviewed. Former is a backdoor likely old fashioned devaluation the latter perhaps welcomed if it prevents locust-like lounge F&B binging by £39 one way fare punters who arrive 4 hours before. Don’t blame them but the economics are a bit twisted when you think neither AA or QF would permit this. (And neither did BA in the 1990s).
I don’t understand the comparison with QF. I don’t think they have any fares with restrictions on lounge access. Even Jetstar flights allow lounge access for their own FFs.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jday
Indeed I wouldn’t fly BA SH if no lounge access
Get Priority Pass and buy the cheapest ticket.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by hugolover

Could you clarify who you define as ‘riff raff’? For example, do you include yourself in that?

I was thinking of Richard O'brien in the Rocky Horror Picture Show https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20130506000530
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
We should call this (roughly monthly recurring) thread "The Stockholm Syndrome"...
hugolover and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by sxc

I don’t understand the comparison with QF. I don’t think they have any fares with restrictions on lounge access. Even Jetstar flights allow lounge access for their own FFs.
Yes, indeed. I get access to the Qantas FCL when flying Jetstar internationally. Good luck to those who wish BA to become far more elitist. We shall just go elsewhere. Perhaps even to United.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sxc

QF’s international guesting policy (only for QF members) is that the guest must be travelling on the same flight as the cardholder. This policy on BA would go a long way to mitigate the guesting issues reported here.

However, for QF domestic flights, your guests do not need to be travelling with QF (or at all), and WPs can use the lounge anytime on the day of the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.