Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Originally Posted by KARFA
Interesting theory. Basis?
Basis = comments on this thread.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by deboyzoned
And of course no doubt I will have the forum police on my back on this comment ����
No police, just wondered what the basis for your claim is? Most of the GGL/CCRs I know from this site have their status as a result of largely if not 100% self-funded travel.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:18 pm

Basis = comments on this thread.
Ok. Even if we accept some are, so what? Are self-funded ones somehow morally superior than those who have status as a result of work travel? Should those on work travel be unable to comment or complain if things are not up to scratch? Once the money goes to BA there is no difference from a pound from my pocket and that of my employer.

By way of disclosure I am around 98% self funded travel and maybe 2% work. I don't think my status is somehow better or worse then those who attain it predominantly via work travel. It seems an odd issue to to raise.
MANtraveller likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Riff-Raff is defined as anyone with at least one less TP in the previous year than you.
indeed,and to add to that: ‘or wearing dress that is inappropriate for the surroundings, or listening to music without headphones, or generally looking like hippies or hipsters, or any other quality as deemed worthy of riff riff at the time of day’
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:21 pm
Suspended

No police, just wondered what the basis for your claim is? Most of the GGL/CCRs I know from this site have their status as a result of largely if not 100% self-funded travel.
I disagree @KARFA, the number of posts on this thread where GGLs and CCR are advocating changes to GGL. They are not self funded.

Why not wait wait and see what BA will change.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

I disagree @KARFA, the number of posts on this thread where GGLs and CCR are advocating changes to GGL. They are not self funded.

again, I am mostly self funded (70/30) I reckon, and I want the thresholds to go up and benefits for riffraff carved.
KARFA likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:25 pm

I agree, that's why I haven't commented on the speculation on the thread.

It does seem obvious that some increase in the qualification requirements may be required purely to keep numbers at sustainable levels. I still don't understand the point you are making about work vs personal earning of TPs but let's leave it there.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:33 pm
Suspended

I agree, that's why I haven't commented on the speculation on the thread.

It does seem obvious that some increase in the qualification requirements may be required purely to keep numbers at sustainable levels. I still don't understand the point you are making about work vs personal earning of TPs but let's leave it there.
The point I was trying to make about work paid vs personal ... for those that are self funded to retain their status ... I get pissed off with those who are work funded and are proposing changes to threshold. They are not paying for their travel.

I have maintained my GGL status on 95% personal travel on BA for the last 4 years.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, MLife Platinum, Hyatt Explorist

Most of the GGLs / CCR’s on this forum are funded by their companies. They really need to shut up. There I said it again 😊.

Long time lurker and very rare poster, this may be my first post in the BA forum, I have followed this with interest and have seen many polarising views expressed.

I am a GGL and CCR, a portion of my travel is funded by my employer, around 3-4 J atlantic crossings and 6/7 Y European flights per year. I obviously am not aware of everyone's travel policies or preferences, but mine is one where I choose any airline as long as it is within budget (is with 20% of cheapest possible fare).
So although partially funded by my employer, I choose to fly BA and therefore 'believe' I have some value to them, I could fly direct from Manchester to many locations, but suffer the additional time and security checks to collect Avios and TP's.
I choose, or maybe have fell into the trap of seeking and retaining status (more value to BA?), I do holidays and points runs on BA, AA and have flown QR. I often pay for my wife to travel with me and sometimes use points for that too.
I have a Amex BAPP card to earn (buy from additional spend) 2-4-1 vouchers, which encourages me to spend with BA to maximise Avios earnings where possible.

So, I am sat here asking myself a few questions:-
1. Am I valued by BA?
2. Is my situation so different to other GGL or CCR members ?
3. Do many who have some flights paid for by work invest their personal time on indirect flights and additional flights at personal expense deserve to be considered as a sub class?

I sense there are so many different scenarios of how people earn and use status, personally I aim for the GUF's and jokers, I often don't get chance to use the CCR as I seem to fly viaT3 more often.

I certainly do not want to start a debate, argument or divert this thread I just wanted to point out that some 'corporate' travellers are loyal customers of choice too, who could invest their employers money as well as personal money and time elsewhere.
deboyzoned likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold

It does seem obvious that some increase in the qualification requirements may be required purely to keep numbers at sustainable levels.
I'm intrigued... what's not currently sustainable in your view?
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
And just as a data point my (lowly) Gold status is pretty much self-funded as well. The same goes for my partner and our daughter, both of whom have Silver. I fund their travel. I generally get two long-haul flights a year as a result of my job. One is to HKG / SIN and the other to MAN / BRU. With work I have to fly WT+ so it barely makes a dent in the 1500 TP requirement. The balance I make up myself, assisted by a few LAS - LAX work trips which net 10 points per trip.

Without doubt there are a lot of people with status who do earn the bulk of their points through work travel but there is also a significant percentage who pay for it all out of their own pocket. If anything it's harder to attain / retain status when you're in the US as you don't have the benefit of ex-EU deals to reduce the TP cost, and sales are few and far between. I don't recall a single sale last year and I think the year before there was a single 2-day flash sale.

At the end of the day, even if someone is earning status as a result of trips paid for by their employer, they are still doing the flying required to earn said status. It's not as if it magically avoids the airports, the security checks, the delays, the endless hours spent on the plane, immigration, customs, taxis to and from hotels, the time spent away from loved ones and your own bed! The lifestyle isn't necessarily as glamourous as it seems.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I'm intrigued... what's not currently sustainable in your view?
the numbers of GGLs and CCRs increasing.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: BA

Interesting ... so many inconsistencies from CC.

I have to admit .... these days so many CC just close the curtains so that they don’t have to deal with passengers.

There .. I said it 😊
I hope that's not the case, very sad to hear. We have far more to do than fuss over CIV numbers onboard. That said whenever I have a GGL onboard I will always try and do my upmost to be as accommodating as possible.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

the numbers of GGLs and CCRs increasing.
unsustainably, might I add. I am sure those afraid of losing status they for with their own money can find corporate friends to guest them in on occasions
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BABenchley
I hope that's not the case, very sad to hear. We have far more to do than fuss over CIV numbers onboard. That said whenever I have a GGL onboard I will always try and do my upmost to be as accommodating as possible.
Its sad but true .... Curtains closed ... nothing to do with CIV. Pure laziness

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.