Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
I cannot understand the idea of restricting Silver or Gold card holders from using the lounge when flying on any El-Cheapo HBO flight.

It is not this cheap flight/holiday that entitled them to use the lounge but the total of flights from the previous year that has earned the passenger their status. Whether it be full fare, paid by their employer or “cheap” TP runs (which still runs into thousands of pounds), this entitlement has been paid for.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Really? I doubt it - how many guests in the lounges are not actually travelling on the same flight as their 'host'? Almost none, I would wager - away from the world of FT and similar aviation-but discussion boards, people don't simply guest in strangers/casual acquaintances to the lounges; do they??Case in point - I can only think of one single occasion I have guested into a lounge someone who was not actually a family member, friend or colleague travelling on the same flight as me...and that was my wife who was headed elsewhere at the same time I departed on a business trip.
sxc likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
If you think about it logically, BA is probably losing money everytime it allows say an elite + a guest into its lounge on an El Cheapo short haul HBO fare.

So for those who say they will choose BFOD for their Euro travels, BA may just say "good riddance - the less you fly, the less we lose".

​​​​​​of course you cant look at this in isolation - what complicates this though is what the impact will be on the passengers other BA travel...

​​

​​​​​
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by ermen

​​​​​​of course you cant look at this in isolation - what complicates this though is what the impact will be on the passengers other BA travel...

​​

​​​​​
I don’t see it as just a complication. It goes to the very heart of why people may or may not be loyal.

Can BA afford to piss off their elites in such a way that they lose those high value revenue bookings at the same time. I’d venture not, but we’ll soon see.
Grace B and oxtailsoup like this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
It is not this cheap flight/holiday that entitled them to use the lounge but the total of flights from the previous year that has earned the passenger their status. Whether it be full fare, paid by their employer or “cheap” TP runs (which still runs into thousands of pounds), this entitlement has been paid for.
Maybe, but nothing in life is cast in stone and "entitlements" can change.

If the overall cost of the lounges, or the volume of people using them, needs to be reduced then something will need to give.

Either that or BAEC will shift to a revenue based model where the overall 'value' of the individual can be taken into account.
Markie likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by simons1
Maybe, but nothing in life is cast in stone and "entitlements" can change.

If the overall cost of the lounges, or the volume of people using them, needs to be reduced then something will need to give.

Either that or BAEC will shift to a revenue based model where the overall 'value' of the individual can be taken into account.
Yes, I agree with you that things could change.

Upthread the discussion was “should passengers who have booked cheap HBO flights be allowed in the lounge”. So even if the earning model changes to a revenue-based model, my post still applies.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by happyintheair
Why would they have to? Perfectly plausible to have lounge access taken away from low cost holiday bookings.

Would I like that? Not the point!
Yes I agree it is plausible, and possibly justified - my point was that if they do this, they should give you the option of booking into a higher class when booking a holiday so as to get the usual privilidges.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 3:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Interestingly, JAL and AA are starting to reciprocally recognise Concierge key and corresponding JAL Diamond plus (or whatever they call it). Would be really nice to create this ties across the alliance and get some nice benefits on CX/JL/QF for BA fliers.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Wonder which would cause more outrage
- remove spirits from the lounges
- limit free alcohol like AA
- restrict guesting (eg no guest for silver, or a set number of guest passes p.a.)

(guess what, I’d be fine with all of the above - but I’m atypical. And I know this is like saying the threshold for status should be just below what I achieve!)
nufnuf77 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by lorcancoyle
- restrict guesting (eg no guest for silver, or a set number of guest passes p.a.)

(guess what, I’d be fine with all of the above - but I’m atypical. And I know this is like saying the threshold for status should be just below what I achieve!)
I would be fine with all of them too. I only guest friends, so tough luck on them, personally drink rarely, and almost never drink on a plane.
our_kid likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

@ the first 2 but specifically at my bolding - Why?

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I would be fine with all of them too. I only guest friends, so tough luck on them, personally drink rarely, and almost never drink on a plane.
I really genuinely don't understand why people suggest or support cuts like the above especially if it doesn't affect them?!. Some people like to have a relaxing drink before/during their flight, there's enough cutbacks on BA as it is without wishing or suggesting anymore!

Why not cut GGL guesting to only 1 then at any time including 2 CCR guests when travelling in F?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by PETER01
@ the first 2 but specifically at my bolding - Why?

I really genuinely don't understand why people suggest or support cuts like the above especially if it doesn't affect them?!. Some people like to have a relaxing drink before/during their flight, there's enough cutbacks on BA as it is without wishing or suggesting anymore!

Why not cut GGL guesting to only 1 then at any time including 2 CCR guests when travelling in F?
on the guesting one, added to list as a variation on suggestion upthread - seemed to be an issue about F&B costs on cheap HBO fares exacerbated by guesting.

overall I, selfishly, think BA should be careful about changes. I think a lot of the gamesmanship involved in status has been removed, and while Flyertalkers were obviously impacted there was a logic (even fairness) about them - e.g. no lounge access if flying non-OW, no more eurocheat lower status thresholds, removal of full TPs for short LH flights (5th freedom or 6th?) and AA domestic F (ex flagship routes) earning as J.

If BA finds that passengers prefer using CX lounge at T3 (and other behaviours that may cost them), they should probably reflect on why that is. The BA F lounge is relatively poor by comparison to many of their OneWorld peers. If they invested in the offering they could reap the benefit, but instead the only lend management seems to have now is cost

(plus I’m bored hanging around DUB lounge so nothing like a bit of a controversial topic to keep me entertained!)
dylanks and rossmacd like this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:04 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PETER01
I really genuinely don't understand why people suggest or support cuts like the above especially if it doesn't affect them?!.
I do not suggest either of those, merely remark that in fact those do not affect me so I don't care.

Now if they decided to remove some undisclosed GGL benefits, or close Manchester call centre, that would prob be the last straw pushing me to AA or CX for crediting my flying.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:09 am

on the guesting one, added to list as a variation on suggestion upthread - seemed to be an issue about F&B costs on cheap HBO fares exacerbated by guesting.

overall I, selfishly, think BA should be careful about changes. I think a lot of the gamesmanship involved in status has been removed, and while Flyertalkers were obviously impacted there was a logic (even fairness) about them - e.g. no lounge access if flying non-OW, no more eurocheat lower status thresholds, removal of full TPs for short LH flights (5th freedom or 6th?) and AA domestic F (ex flagship routes) earning as J.

If BA finds that passengers prefer using CX lounge at T3 (and other behaviours that may cost them), they should probably reflect on why that is. The BA F lounge is relatively poor by comparison to many of their OneWorld peers. If they invested in the offering they could reap the benefit, but instead the only lend management seems to have now is cost

Using that logic re F & B, HBO in the first paragraph then the same would apply to Gold's and using GF then? I certainly wouldn't like to see any of the guesting policy changing, at any of the different levels. I thought it was a nice touch BA granting extra lounge access during the christmas period, pleased many travellers and wasn't too much of a capacity issue I believe. I agree the CX Flounge is way ahead of the BA F Lounge at T3 and I wish it were more modern.

(plus I’m bored hanging around DUB lounge so nothing like a bit of a controversial topic to keep me entertained!)
I think you have a point there
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
I do not suggest either of those, merely remark that in fact those do not affect me so I don't care.

Now if they decided to remove some undisclosed GGL benefits, or close Manchester call centre, that would prob be the last straw pushing me to AA or CX for crediting my flying.
Fair enough but I don't support guesting cuts to Silvers, nor any other Tiers for that matter, nor would I be fine with that which was my point. If Silvers were suggesting more cuts for Golds, GGL's/CCR's or Premiers there would be outrage on the board

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.