Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GGL enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
It may be more cost effective being charged by CX etc. than doing up the BA F lounge for what amounts to a few passengers a day (compared to T5).
It's taken BA this long to change the CCR and that's generally for those exclusively flying F with them, so a general lounge that serves the purpose isn't going to be too high on the agenda.

Guesting wise, not sure.
I can see stopping guesting for all or some would reduce numbers in the lounges and subsequently reduce food and drink consumption.
On the other, a GCH not being able to guest his wife in may cause him to look elsewhere (but in the grand scheme of things, "bye" in the eyes of BA).

Going back to GGL, I have no problems with 5000TP for earning and renewal.
I might not get them so its my loss.
3000 isn't too hard to get for those regular flyers in J and F, or those who do 4 TP runs (£3k or so for GGL renewal is low for what BA would probably like).
Combining the CCR with GGL works for me rather than just being GGL (or in some cases CCR but not GGL - sure this was mentioned somewhere). It's a nice perk to aim for.

Last edited by xenole; Mar 3, 2018 at 7:28 am
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:40 am

BA gives a Silver card free of charge to all MPs, not to mention several discretionary ones for each corporate account. Because of this there is no way lounge access would be removed on any fare (in my opinion of course!).
I think they should clamp down on 'stranger' guesting - it's actively encouraged on here and there's always plenty of chancers who happen to 'love escalators' in T5. Low-hanging fruit that would reduce costs immediately.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:25 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Confus
BA gives a Silver card free of charge to all MPs, not to mention several discretionary ones for each corporate account. Because of this there is no way lounge access would be removed on any fare (in my opinion of course!).
Frankly that sounds like 750 time wasters plus no doubt entourages of hangers on BA could jettison for a start then.
SW7London likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
I think they should clamp down on 'stranger' guesting - it's actively encouraged on here and there's always plenty of chancers who happen to 'love escalators' in T5. Low-hanging fruit that would reduce costs immediately.
But how is the question? Many of us have friends, extended families, colleagues, and lastly short-time cabana friends (not thinking of anyone in particular) so it would be hard to make the cut...
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Originally Posted by xenole
It may be more cost effective being charged by CX etc. than doing up the BA F lounge for what amounts to a few passengers a day (compared to T5).
It's taken BA this long to change the CCR and that's generally for those exclusively flying F with them, so a general lounge that serves the purpose isn't going to be too high on the agenda.

Guesting wise, not sure.
I can see stopping guesting for all or some would reduce numbers in the lounges and subsequently reduce food and drink consumption.
On the other, a GCH not being able to guest his wife in may cause him to look elsewhere (but in the grand scheme of things, "bye" in the eyes of BA).

Going back to GGL, I have no problems with 5000TP for earning and renewal.
I might not get them so its my loss.
3000 isn't too hard to get for those regular flyers in J and F, or those who do 4 TP runs (£3k or so for GGL renewal is low for what BA would probably like).
Combining the CCR with GGL works for me rather than just being GGL (or in some cases CCR but not GGL - sure this was mentioned somewhere). It's a nice perk to aim for.
Hi Xenole,

Intrigued how someone could have CCR but not GGL, is there some loophole ?

Thanks

DtB
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:20 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Down the back
Hi Xenole,

Intrigued how someone could have CCR but not GGL, is there some loophole ?

Thanks

DtB
There are some CCR cards given for high profile/important people, I know a couple of guys who have them, but it's very unclear how/why/how long for. Even they are sometimes surprised when they get a new card.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond, Scandic Top Floor
Smile

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
There are some CCR cards given for high profile/important people, I know a couple of guys who have them, but it's very unclear how/why/how long for. Even they are sometimes surprised when they get a new card.
Ahh, like the guys who operate the de-icing equipment at LHR :-)

Cheers

DtB
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Down the back
Ahh, like the guys who operate the de-icing equipment at LHR :-)

Cheers

DtB
those are Premiers mate
dcmike, flyerkit and Down the back like this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by xenole
Though conceptually that's interesting and from an initial investment point of view, you may have a point, I think on-going cost wise, that wouldn't stack up.

I can't remember the number but the charge to BA by CX, QF, AA etc for BA-metal pax using their lounge is relatively high - much much higher I'd say than the cost of food and drink consumed by that pax in the BA lounge.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
there are I believe a small cohort of pre 2003 genuine Concorde regulars left grandfathered in.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:54 am

So - I go through Heathrow ~40 times a year. Been doing it for about 4 years now. Not once have I seen someone hanging about the bottom of those escalators obviously looking for a guest, nor have I ever been approached to guest a stranger.

Although I will admit - I've only used those escalators to go down since the First Wing opened last year (so it's been a little while since I last went up) but 3 1/2 years at 40 times a year seems a good sample.

It's also worth noting the lounge guesting thread is long since closed due to some problem or other.
madfish likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH DIAMOND, AVIS Presidents Club, Karahi Express
Why don’t we just wait ? This thread has been started on a rumour!!
golfmad and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by simons1
Either that or BAEC will shift to a revenue based model where the overall 'value' of the individual can be taken into account.
Isn't BAEC, to a certain degree, already revenue-based? The TP model means that status comes much easier to those who buy WTP/J/F class tickets, which on average certainly generate more revenue for the company.

While I realise the program is not purely revenue-based, as the US programs now are, its also not entirely revenue-unaligned (as the US programs were). I'm a Gold, but would likely only be a Bronze if all of my longhaul BA flights were in Y, rather than generally in Club.

I do look at the totality of my relationship with a company when making a loyalty decision, however, and would suggest BA do the same when evaluating their customers. I would take a pretty dim view of not being provided lounge access on the few short-haul Y flights I take a year, and would consider moving my longhaul business elsewhere. Not being London-based, however, that's an easier option for me than some of you - as most of my trips require a connection.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Isn't BAEC, to a certain degree, already revenue-based? The TP model means that status comes much easier to those who buy WTP/J/F class tickets, which on average certainly generate more revenue for the company.
Well, in my case, I like the ex-GOT etc. WT+ to LAX for around £570. Up to 200TP for practically the same price as Y from LHR or half the price of WT+ from LHR.
They're not getting a lot of revenue from me!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:39 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
SS haven't engaged with me once in the 4 I've been GGL/CCR.

Now I appreciate that for the first 2 years, I was earning 70% of my TPs on QR, but I am now very BA/AA heavy - and still, nothing.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I think that if BA are going to make CCR a 'strive to earn it' Tier, then they really need to up their game in terms of the on-ground product.

M

Does this mean we are soon to have a GGL equivalent thread of the "I didn't get my Gold welcome" Whinge thread? Please, let's not go there!
msm2000uk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.