G-NEOX
G-NEOY
G-NEOZ
Print Wikipost

NEOs and a couple of SH changes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
With these even more cheaply equipped planes, Mr Cruz has clearly decided that he wants to compete with Ryanair and EasyJet.
However, with BAs cost base, and the extra costs of being at LHR, he cannot compete with them.

I suggest that that one of his MBAs needs to point this out to him. They would , of course, be fired for being intelligent, but......
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:37 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

I see the inability to recline seats in short haul a positive! I hate it when the passenger in front reclines. Whilst the seat pitch is reduced, didn’t our resident experts tell us there would no loss of legroom because of the design of the seat?
Beat me to it - I am absolutely in agreement on this. Short haul it shouldn't be that big a deal just to sit up straight. I almost never recline my seat in economy SH as I am so entrenched in my Britishness (the good kind, not the Brexit kind) that I would be mortified if I inconvenienced the person behind.. Plus to be honest, I actually think that small amount of recline on an economy seat just makes more pressure on the lower back - I don't think it's more comfortable.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 2:55 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
So if you were unimpressed with Ryanair's 30 inch non reclining seating than how impressed would you be with BA's 29 inch non reclining seating?
i didn’t notice the pitch as I won the sprint across the apron to get an exit row. It was the experience I was referring to, which is why I now understand the expression cattle class. Held in a non air conditioned gate at ALC in 30 degrees Celsius even though aircraft still hadn’t arrived. The sprint to get the best seats, with the disabled passengers at the front of the gate literally being pushed out of the way, the constant sell on board and finally those stupid on time arrivals horns even though we were 15 mins late. I pointed out the late arrival to which the cabin crew replied that anything under 20 mins was considered in time. I asked whether the same principle would be applied if I arrived 15 mins after check in had closed.
Pascoe and volar like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: Some
For anyone claiming that the new, thinner, non-reclining seats will not lead to a reduction in passenger comfort, firstly, ha. Secondly, why exactly are BA not also fitting the same design for CE at the front of the plane then?
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
For anyone claiming that the new, thinner, non-reclining seats will not lead to a reduction in passenger comfort, firstly, ha. Secondly, why exactly are BA not also fitting the same design for CE at the front of the plane then?
Customer feedback has revealed that only those aft of row 13 want the pleasure delivered by a new Recaro seat. As such, we have installed them for those customers only!
FlyerTalker688786 and ELLX like this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:46 am

I like the concept of USB or power or both in every row.
Having different seats in J to differentiate is also nice.

No recline doesn't worry me, but I know many who do want it (even if they never use it!... It is a differentiator to Ryanair). Moving map, well I enjoy looking at it, but can survive without it. Will be interesting to see what the WiFi solution provides.

But overall, I can't see this being a good thing, but full judgement will come when I have my first flight on the new planes.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BAEC bronze
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
I've see this on a number of carriers on newer planes, I think it’s just aircraft fitters moving with the times
I too noticed this on my sole Vueling flight back from Barcelona last August [no-smoking sign replaced by electronic device sign]. It was also the newest aircraft on which I'd ever knowingly flown, at just a few weeks old. Experiencing a delay in pushing back though meant I really noticed how uncomfortable the seats were by the time we'd got to London.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Spot on!!! Best reaction here. But hey, you Can’t possibly be one of those passengers that want everything for nothing!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:31 am

For me, I don't think a non-reclinable seat for short haul is itself the real issue - up to say 1hr30 or so.

The problem is two linked concerns. Firstly, how comfortable (or otherwise) are these new, very thin seats - even on short sectors? I've had back pain from even supposedly comfortable car seats in journeys under an hour before, because they didn't provide decent support for my lower back.

Secondly, once you go above 1hr30, and especially over 2 hours, a non-adjustable seat can become something of a problem simply because you're in one position/angle for a long period of time. It isn't always possible/convenient to get up and walk around. In these circumstances, the ability to vary the seat back angle can make a huge difference.

We will see… I will reserve judgment until I travel on one, but I can't say I'm looking forward to it!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
I believe I have flown on the new Recaro slimline seats, since they are installed in the newest Vueling aircraft. Once. Never again. The lack of recline is not really an issue for a short flight and let‘s face it, even reclining seats these days do not give a comfortable angle. The real issue is that these seats are as hard as planks of wood and extremely short. This gives the (visible) impression of legroom being adequate but is only due to the seat length from the backrest reducing down to about 40cm, some 5cm less than we are used to. I am not tall at 5‘7“ (1m72) but my knees were firmly in the forward passengers back. This is really not the way I choose to travel and that one flight was sufficient to decide to never put myself through that again.
Others that have flown these seats seem to agree:
http://www.airlinequality.com/seat-r...ling-airlines/

Old Jan 2, 2018, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
This is where Cruz' strategy unravels.

As a business traveller who tends to use EasyJet shorthaul, IF the prices come down to sub EasyJet levels or the same, I'll prefer BA economy, because I have status and can sidestep some of the problems - my travel bookers won't contemplate it otherwise, they're not incentivised on what I do or don't spend at the airport on food and drink, they get paid on the ticket price savings.. Sounds good for Cruz so far: more business bookings.

But let's assume status benefits costs about £25 per lounge visit, there goes the margin on the business travellers taking cheap flights unless BA can put prices up to a premium over LCC. And they can't.

For the bulk of travellers contemplating EasyJet v. British Airways, it's a price consideration so price matching is critical. EasyJet and Ryanair will win that, because they have lower airport costs and they won't want to give ground in their home turf anyway. Also their operations and staffing are built around being efficient and lean (it's a joy watching the perpetual motion of a good EasyJet crew on a 1.5 hour flight, but that extends throughout their businesses). But this is where Cruz has decided to throw down the gauntlet. In order to have a chance on price, he has to degrade customer experience, and even if he ends up at the same service delivery point or better, people accept degrading of standards less readily than stable but lower standards. The cabin crew - at the coalface and bearing the brunt of any complaining - will resent the changes, will be wondering how the cost cutting will hit them next, and will not buy into doing the small discretionary stuff that can transform the experience. Everything works against the strategy.

And it's not just in the cheap seats. The experience at the front is markedly worse, as he's having to slice and dice things as basic as food loading to get costs right down. I don't give a tinkers cuss about fold-down screens, I don't even mind a slightly uncomfortable seat that doesn't recline if I'm in economy, but I do get a bit sniffy if the food choices are poor when I'm paying four or five times the economy fare. Or if there's a procession of economy passengers brushing past me to use the CE toilet because there's a 30 person queue at the back for the single toilet. So my willingness to pay a premium is eroded, I'll just use my status to sit in an exit row and book a HBO fare. If my status doesn't bring me benefits in future, I'll choose the cheapest fare. You can't hermetically seal the experiences at front and back.

This isn't rocket science. Cruz has himself locked into this crazy Tesco strategy of being at the same time premium and low cost. He isn't showing any signs of changing tack on the big stuff, so I guess he's committed now. Interesting times.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
I'm a bit confused over what seats BA will be installing? I've flown easyJet flights which had grey seats (with white squares?) and they were very uncomfortable. However, I've also flown a recent flight which had black and orange seats and they were surprisingly comfortable even on a 4 hour flight.

If BA are fitting the latter type of seats then it's not entirely bad news.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL+CCR)
Based on Recaro´s press release they are installing the "Recaro SL3510".

Here is the press release including pictures (sorry its in German). https://de.recaro-as.com/presse/pres...rt-sl3510.html

The "SL3510" is already used by EasyJet and TAP Portugal...
By the way. TAP is also using two different seats for their A320 fleet... In the back of the cabin they have the SL3510 and in the front they are using the BL3530 (this seat comes with a mount for your mobile device/tablet... which is actually pretty nice).

It is a shame BA is going to get these new slime line seats. I always loved the current seats... it was (is) much better then what Lufthansa has to offer on their short haul fleet...
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

i didn’t notice the pitch as I won the sprint across the apron to get an exit row. It was the experience I was referring to, which is why I now understand the expression cattle class. Held in a non air conditioned gate at ALC in 30 degrees Celsius even though aircraft still hadn’t arrived. The sprint to get the best seats, with the disabled passengers at the front of the gate literally being pushed out of the way, the constant sell on board and finally those stupid on time arrivals horns even though we were 15 mins late. I pointed out the late arrival to which the cabin crew replied that anything under 20 mins was considered in time. I asked whether the same principle would be applied if I arrived 15 mins after check in had closed.
It clearly wasn't a recent trip then?

Those were the days when food, allocated seating and seat pitch differentiated BA. Sounds like very soon there will be no difference.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL+CCR)
Originally Posted by BERbound
I'm a bit confused over what seats BA will be installing? I've flown easyJet flights which had grey seats (with white squares?) and they were very uncomfortable. However, I've also flown a recent flight which had black and orange seats and they were surprisingly comfortable even on a 4 hour flight.

If BA are fitting the latter type of seats then it's not entirely bad news.
They will install the Recaro SL3510. Here is a picture of the same seat (but in TAP Portugal colours):

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.