G-NEOZ
Print Wikipost

NEOs and a couple of SH changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

NEOs and a couple of SH changes

Hi all,

Not sure whether any of this has been posted before, it probably has but had a quick search and couldn’t find anything. So mods, please feel free to move or delete as appropriate.

BA have begun training for MF and EF crews on the new NEOs entering service next year. I had mine the other week. A couple of bits:
  • First 320N delivered March, first 321N delivered September
  • All LHR 320 and 321CEOs to be retrofitted with new seating and SpaceFlex Galleys. The first refurbished 321C is in Prestwick being worked on now (first service provisionally the PMI on the 6th Jan).
  • A319s are going to LGW as are Sharklet fitted A320s. Do not believe there are plans to refurbish these.
  • Pinnacle seats (current) for the first 12 rows on 320C&N, and the first 14 rows on 321C&Ns. These will have both USB and a conventional plug socket
  • New Recaro seats aft of Club which will just have USB power. These seats will not recline.
  • 321Ns will have overwing exits and 3 main door pairs instead of current 4 door pairs.
  • No video screens, manual demo every time and the life jackets will have tapes that clip and not a double bow to tie (yay!)
  • Club loads will be capped on long flights due to limited available galley space. This won’t be a problem on short sectors as trays are smaller and no starters etc.
  • There’s no waste bins or cold potable water tap at the rear, so all water runs and clear ins in ET will have to be made from the Club galley after they have completed their service.
  • There are new ovens which are apparently the same as the 350. These give more options for cooking. For the Winter 2018 menu there may be M&S hot meals included in the BOB options, but this is yet to be confirmed.
  • No duty free on any short haul flights, no space for the trolleys!
  • Some changes coming to Club Europe service in April, this wasn’t elaborated on too much.
  • BOB is here to stay, as is M&S. There are no plans to add free water/tea/coffee despite any rumours.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
A319s and Sharklet fitted A320s to Gatwick? Does that mean the existing Gatwick fleet (ie the former BMI A319s and the G-GAT* aircraft are being returned ?
Changes to CE ? The new long routes won’t lose the improved catering I hope.
Any good news?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
So, even in ET people will be looking for the first 12 rows. Wonder what the cap will be on the longer short haul routes.
No video screens will be a downside. Like watching the map. Although if they do sort onboard WiFi then this might be something that can be alleviated.

Thanks for posting.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
​​​​Only BA could use the introduction of a new aircraft type as a step to hasten their race to the bottom...
dinbangkok, mec72 and I2sky like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
29 inches the new seats? No recline? WoW

by the way has anyone here flown the A320 neo?
They are so quiet, takeoff power is like cruise power on the current A320 and on approach you think the engines are off!!

oh and the a320 neo bathrooms are a joke, much smaller than the current ones and so cramped I actually hit my head leaving it !
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Speedbird92A
​​​​Only BA could use the introduction of a new aircraft type as a step to hasten their race to the bottom...
In what way is this a race to the bottom?

I see a number of significant improvements mentioned in the OP.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:51 pm
Suspended

I think I know which airline I will be travelling on after I have burnt all my Avios. Ryanair looks more attractive day by day with its frequent £9.99 sales. Star Gold (I have two for 2018) will help me travelling to Europe. Long haul, AA CX and QR!
dinbangkok likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:53 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I got a fairly similar, but briefer, synopsis from the CC on a LHR-TXL flight this week. It does indeed sound like there isn’t going to be a lot of wasted space at the back, including for the crew seats during take off and landing.

The CC version did sound fearfully like a further race to the bottom for non-status travellers who don’t have the opportunity to select a seat further forward, but with the curtain lottery still in full flow it’s going to be an even bigger blow to be seat shifted with even less chance of moving back to something semi-decent.

This would probably make me think twice about travelling BA on short haul (although the recline doesn’t bother me as I don’t usually bother below two hours), with *A carriers generally offering a more reliable experience.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Less seat pitch and lower recline! That's the main issue I feel, I like reclining my seat! And i don't get why there is no map, is it such a financial issue to have them?

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Dec 31, 2017 at 1:02 pm
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA
I have to say I will miss the map, although if the planes all have Wifi as I hear they will then that won't matter.
Markie, flyerkit and delpiero223 like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Less seat pitch and lower recline! That's the main issue I feel, I like reclining my seat!
I see the inability to recline seats in short haul a positive! I hate it when the passenger in front reclines. Whilst the seat pitch is reduced, didn’t our resident experts tell us there would no loss of legroom because of the design of the seat?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I hear the seats are significantly less comfortable than current model.

In seat power good, rest seems bad, certainly on the face of it makes it look less attractive to me at least.

Ditching duty free just before Brexit? You can see how far BA management are looking ahead.
Longlegs and markle like this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:16 pm
Suspended

• All LHR 320 and 321CEOs to be retrofitted with new seating and SpaceFlex Galleys. [translation: more seats per plane and less legroom per seat]
  • New Recaro seats aft of Club which will just have USB power. These seats will not recline. [translation: if you have no status, you are not going to enjoy the recline nor the power socket, second class citizens anyone?]
  • No video screens, manual demo every time. [translation: more work for crew just like those working for Ryanair, manual demo every flight]
  • There’s no waste bins or cold potable water tap at the rear, so all water runs and clear ins in ET will have to be made from the Club galley after they have completed their service. [translation: 1, when you go to rare lavatory, do expect to stump on the waste bags as there is no other place to hold them; 2, do not expect free water any more as the crew are unlikely to finish the service for those added capacity and they have to run up and down few times more to give you free tap water]
  • No duty free on any short haul flights, no space for the trolleys! [translation: no translation needed]
  • BOB is here to stay, as is M&S. There are no plans to add free water/tea/coffee despite any rumours. [translation: even if BA change its course on BOB where they are going to put the free stuff?]
Just quote from the OP. I counted 6 MAIN NEGATIVE points. The new A320 will have the seat capacity of A321 in the old days and the new A321 will have seat capacity for an A330... Welcome to the new Ryanair of Heathrow. And congratulations to all BA passengers, you will thoroughly enjoy the travel experience of sardine in the can. You are now the human cargo for the Vueling London Airways.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:16 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

I see the inability to recline seats in short haul a positive! I hate it when the passenger in front reclines. Whilst the seat pitch is reduced, didn’t our resident experts tell us there would no loss of legroom because of the design of the seat?
As far as I can see, for legroom to remain the same you have to take something out of the seat. The existing Recaro seats are pretty thin and lightweight as it is - there has to be a limit to how much more padding can be removed before they become seriously uncomfortable. If deployed on a AMS flight maybe that’s not too bad - OTP might well be a different matter.
Stez likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 1:23 pm

Thank goodness BA have removed recline. No more arguments with the inconsiderate person in front of me now when in Y. And even more reason to fly Y now as I assume the J seats still recline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.