G-NEOY
G-NEOZ
Print Wikipost

NEOs and a couple of SH changes

Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Southlondonbonviveur
Seat recline doesn't bother me, but it is disappointing to hear that the management haven't seen fit to adopt a free tea/coffee approach, or the AA approach of free drinks for status pax. However the biggest disappointment is the removal of screens.

Why the hell are they removing them? How is wifi going to help? I want to see location, speed, estimated time of arrival, etc. Cannot believe so few people have commented on this. It's an awful decision.
I don’t think the decision has yet been made regarding a free drink for ‘elites’. I know there has been discussion on that subject but as yet I’ve not heard of any decision. As for the screens, I hear AA are removing theirs too. I believe the thinking behind this decision is that many people travel with a smartphone, tablet or laptop and entertainment et al will be provided via WiFi directly to the passenger’s own device.

Last edited by Tobias-UK; Dec 31, 2017 at 8:16 pm Reason: Bloody autocorrect
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:22 pm

Seat recline doesn't bother me, but it is disappointing to hear that the management haven't seen fit to adopt a free tea/coffee approach, or the AA approach of free drinks for status pax. However the biggest disappointment is the removal of screens.

Why the hell are they removing them? How is wifi going to help? I want to see location, speed, estimated time of arrival, etc. Cannot believe so few people have commented on this. It's an awful decision.
surprised to see people are not saying TV removal is a good thing as they’d be spared the safety video. JAL has the ability to view moving map via the WiFi log in link. Maybe something like that will be implemented. Doubt it... put me in the camp who welcomes no recline. Pitch far too tight as it is and I don’t recline my seat as a result in consideration of the people behind me. However it does stink a bit of race to the bottom as a short haul carrier.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 11:07 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
As an alternative if WiFi does get fitted, suppose you could follow your flight on FR24.

S
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Wifi is chargeable though?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Worcester
Wifi is chargeable though?
Of course.If you want to see the moving map you must pay,as for tea and coffee.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:14 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
If the new recaro seats are the same or similar to the new easyjet seats then they are horribly uncomfortable on longer sectors - there is noticeably less padding in the seat and it feels like sitting on an ironing board. I can only conclude that those on the thread who cling to the idea that this is some sort of positive development have not been on a new EZ aircraft to a band 3/4 destination. I foresee a scramble amongst those in the know for the first few rows in Y, and bizarrely the LGW A319s will now become a sort of premium sub-fleet.
gordon0808, Stez, rossmacd and 1 others like this.

Last edited by jmd; Jan 1, 2018 at 2:16 am Reason: typos
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Worcester
Is the cupboard and bulkhead in front of 1ABC staying or going?
The wardrobe is staying, but it seems to be the case that it will hold a load of SEP equipment so I’m not sure whether it can actually be used as a wardrobe or not
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Just to follow this up, there are a fair few changes for either the better or worse depending on your opinion. But either way, it’s going to be a massive change for the crew especially down in ET. We’re used to having full galleys on all our aircraft and these already have limited space. Some LCCs have had these new kinds of galleys for years so will be used to them. We have not. I just ask that you bear with the crew as it’s different for all of us, and things are definitely going to take longer with a lot more running up and down the aircraft.
I had my training the other week, I might not operate on one of these until the end of 2018 (especially the 321N).
florens and bisonrav like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rapidex
Of course.If you want to see the moving map you must pay,as for tea and coffee.
I wouldn't take that as a given. Certainly on the other IAG wifi provisions already out there it isn't charged, and that included Iberia Express! Usually when wifi is provided there is an entry portal which is largely intended to lead to the payment process. But that portal would typically have some key BA.com style information free of charge such as ba.com/arrdep and hopefully a customisable Moving Map screen. I guess the one many here will be familiar with is GoGo's version on AA and other US airlines, though that one is the least interesting of any that I've encountered, it doesn't give much more than high level geographical features. Other providers use a Moving Map screen even more customisable than the SuperJ / 787 / 380 Moving Maps. You can also use GPS and Google Maps (if you have cached the map) now, in safe mode of course, so long as your mobile telephone has a reasonable antenna and you are near a window - or on a leaky Embraer!
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:26 am

However the biggest disappointment is the removal of screens.

Why the hell are they removing them? How is wifi going to help?
Do screens cost money to install in seats? Do screens cost money to repair when they go wrong?

You can't charge for the moving map but you can charge for wifi and the client provides their own device.

Welcome to the world of low cost airlines.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
If Club loads on longer routes will be limited due to galley space, we can probably expect any changes to CE catering to be limited to the same tray space. Perhaps a hot dish all day across all medium flights? Perhaps that takes a bit more stowage, but I doubt we'll see radical improvement without the space.

Also, if Club loads to ATH, LCA are limited (particularly on Friday evenings) perhaps we'll see some long haul aircraft deployed once the 767s go?

Last edited by World Traveller Fuss; Jan 1, 2018 at 8:10 am
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

You do indeed, you can buy a tea, coffee or water if you really want it, or you can take your own refreshments on board with you. If you want a more inclusive service, you can chose Club Europe. I am no fan of BoB and when I had no choice but ‘take it or leave it’, I was very unhappy. When CE was introduced on domestics I was very happy as that gave me the option to avoid your Poundland. As with all things in life, you pay for what you want. You know the proposition and, as they say, you pays your money and you takes your choice.
If only we could. The problem with BA's BOB isn't the concept - I always keep my credit card handy and don't mind paying - it's the execution. It works fine with Easyjet.

On BA if you're down the back, the trolley often doesn't reach you, and when it does there is often virtually no food left. Just having a contactless payment terminal would save precious seconds (or minutes) on each transaction for example. And surely offering free water/tea/coffee would enable more people to have time to buy higher-value food items from the trolley.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Lufthansa does not have screens on their SH flights that I have been on. Those equipped with WIFI allow access to a "in flight progress" within the LH app. Anything within the LH app is free and available via their onboard WIFI.

The inflight progress is similar to the map with a progress bar, altitude, distance from destination and distance from some nearby city.

Maybe BA will provide something similar
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Lufthansa does not have screens on their SH flights that I have been on. Those equipped with WIFI allow access to a "in flight progress" within the LH app. Anything within the LH app is free and available via their onboard WIFI.

The inflight progress is similar to the map with a progress bar, altitude, distance from destination and distance from some nearby city.

Maybe BA will provide something similar
The information I have from within BA via a close source is that BA see Wifi as a source of extra revenue so I think we can guess what this might mean for passengers.
My source found the extra revenue aspect bemusing as according to his figures VS who have had Wifi on their planes for some time on average only have 5 people use wifi on a transatlantic flight and he did not know of any airlines making a profit on wifi.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by scillyisles
The information I have from within BA via a close source is that BA see Wifi as a source of extra revenue so I think we can guess what this might mean for passengers.
My source found the extra revenue aspect bemusing as according to his figures VS who have had Wifi on their planes for some time on average only have 5 people use wifi on a transatlantic flight and he did not know of any airlines making a profit on wifi.
Lufthansa also charges for WIFI, at least on European SH, but anything that is in the Lufthansa app is free

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.