Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
There is an interesting review of the new Club World offering in The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/tr...white-company/
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
There is an interesting review of the new Club World offering in The Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/tr...white-company/
'entirely new seat design from 2019'

Yes the design might be done but when will the seat be introduced on planes, and when will it be across the fleet?

Once this seat is available I will certainly go back to BA for a few tries.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:42 am

As has been repeatedly said, the new Club seat will arrive in 2019 and we were told it will be introduced with the A350 aircraft. How far the new seat will be retrofitted is unknown to us.

As with the New First seats and the Next Generation Club World seats, retrofitting will take some time to roll out. It isn't a quick job.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It isn't a quick job.
AA took years I believe and may even still be at it, while many airlines don't even bother fitting all their fleet. I remember flying EK J from CHC-SYD expecting to sample one of their luxury J seats which supposedly 'blew the CW seat out of the water'. I ended up in a cradle seat and thanked God I wasn't carrying on to DXB on it.
My own fault for believing hyperbolic FT posts instead of checking facts.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
AA took years I believe and may even still be at it, while many airlines don't even bother fitting all their fleet. I remember flying EK J from CHC-SYD expecting to sample one of their luxury J seats which supposedly 'blew the CW seat out of the water'. I ended up in a cradle seat and thanked God I wasn't carrying on to DXB on it.
My own fault for believing hyperbolic FT posts instead of checking facts.
Fair comment, QR didn't refit their entire fleet with the new Diamond seat, from what I'm told the new QSuites are only fitted on 3 aircraft although they have been talked about ad nauseum on the BA forum for quite some time.

AA have been retrofitting their fleet for some years, and even so not all their longhaul aircraft have the newest J seat.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:04 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The new bedding and pillows are lovely. As you can see the bedding container is quite bulky - I managed to squeeze it into the side locker in preparation for take off and it is a very close fit. I’m curious how you manage to stow this stuff on a 777 service. In the overhead locker I presume.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Fair comment, QR didn't refit their entire fleet with the new Diamond seat, from what I'm told the new QSuites are only fitted on 3 aircraft although they have been talked about ad nauseum on the BA forum for quite some time.

AA have been retrofitting their fleet for some years, and even so not all their longhaul aircraft haven the newest J seat.
True on both points, but then there is a difference between when you finish and when you start.

It took a few months (6-7) between when AA and QR announced their latest seats and when the first plane was equipped.

By contrast for ba, the start of the new seat will be about 3 years after the original announcement. That genuinely is a long lag and the only comparison I can think of is when AF introduced NEV1 Around 2000 (but even they have been faster introducing their absurd number of new seat models in the 2000s and 2010s and their latest Cirrus.

After that, you are right that retrofitting every additional plane takes time because you have to take planes off the circuit usually during the major maintenance inspection to redo its interior. That additional stage is unfortunately not any shorter if the start of the process is delayed unless you have over capacity which I certainly don’t wish to be ba’s case.

so it seems to me that BA’s timeline is exceptionally slow and since the airline started the fitting of the new cabins fast, my guess is that this suggests there have been hesitations or infighting within the airline on the seat specification for any reason (most likely how bold to be vs density loss or the competition being more innovative than management expected).
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Prospero
The new bedding and pillows are lovely. As you can see the bedding container is quite bulky - I managed to squeeze it into the side locker in preparation for take off and it is a very close fit. I’m curious how you manage to stow this stuff on a 777 service. In the overhead locker I presume.
yes they will fit it in the overhead
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m hearing huge problems with restowing bedding on the B777 (as predicted) as the bedding once removed from the bag expands.
Also as all of the bedding is on the seat when customers board many just throw it on the floor leaving the crew to put it in the overhead lockers.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m hearing huge problems with restowing bedding on the B777 (as predicted) as the bedding once removed from the bag expands.
Also as all of the bedding is on the seat when customers board many just throw it on the floor leaving the crew to put it in the overhead lockers.
And THAT sort of thing, in a nutshell, is why you do a soft launch imho.

Probably fixable with different bags (compression sacks?)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Trouble with having 8 across ?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Trouble with having 8 across ?
Exactly. Trying to put first world J soft products into a second-tier J hard product. If you had a reverse herringbone configuration everyone would get their own huge overhead bin with room for bedding and both bags. But Alex Crux rolls his eyes at those who suggest BA go in that direction
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)
As has been repeatedly said, the new Club seat will arrive in 2019 and we were told it will be introduced with the A350 aircraft. How far the new seat will be retrofitted is unknown to us.

As with the New First seats and the Next Generation Club World seats, retrofitting will take some time to roll out. It isn't a quick job.

You are assuming that the new seat IAG has now begun to tout publicly is the same as the slightly redesigned seat that is being fitted on the A350s. What do you base this assumption on?

NYLON Boy
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: BA (LTG, GGL, CCR), LH (*G)

AA have been retrofitting their fleet for some years, and even so not all their longhaul aircraft have the newest J seat.

The guy in charge of this kind of thing at BA said at a recent GGL do that BA will NOT schedule special maintenance sessions to retrofit seats. So retrofitting will be done on the usual aircraft-maintenance schedule and hence take a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

NYLON Boy
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by NYLON Boy
You are assuming that the new seat IAG has now begun to tout publicly is the same as the slightly redesigned seat that is being fitted on the A350s. What do you base this assumption on?
The lack of any information to the contrary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.