Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: makin'miles
New Club World Service 2017

Effective July 6, 2018, new bedding products expected to be on all Club World flights, worldwide (including LHR, LGW and LCY services).

New catering and bedding

Routes on which the new catering and bedding are in operation.
Launched October 2017
London Heathrow - New York JFK
Launched February 2018 (all from London Heathrow LHR):
Boston (BOS), Baltimore (BWI), Dubai (DXB), Newark (EWR), Philadelphia (PHL), Washington (IAD), Hong Kong (HKG)
Launched March 2018 (LHR)
San Francisco (SFO), Los Angeles (LAX), San José (SJC), San Diego (SAN). Las Vegas (LAS), Phoenix (PHX), Seychelles (SEZ from 25 March)
Launched 4 April 2018 (LHR)
Houston (IAH), Miami (MIA), Dallas Fort Worth (DFW), New Orleans (MSY).
Launched 1 May 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on DEN, ATL, SEA, YVR)
Denver (DEN), Atlanta (ATL), Austin (AUS), Nassau-Grand Cayman (NAS-GCM), Seattle (SEA), Vancouver (YVR), Calgary (YYC), Nashville (BNA)
Launched 17 May 2018 (LHR) - (Catering previously launched on ORD, YUL, YYZ)
Toronto (YYZ), Montréal (YUL), Chicago (ORD)
Launched 1 July 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched on CPT, JNB, SIN, SIN-SYD)
Cape Town (CPT), Johannesburg (JNB), Singapore (SIN), Singapore-Sydney (SIN-SYD)
Launched 1 August 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH)
Launched 1 September 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Delhi (DEL), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT)
Launched 1 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Buenos Aires (EZE), Jeddah (JED), Mexico City (MEX), Rio de Janeiro (GIG), Riyadh (RUH), Santiago (SCL), Sao Paulo (GRU), Tokyo Haneda (HND), Tokyo Narita (NRT)
Launched 28 October 2018 (LHR) - (Bedding previously launched)
Abuja (ABV), Accra (ACC), Bangkok (BKK), Bangalore (BLR), Beijing (PEK), Chennai (MAA), Hyderabad (HYD), Kuala Lumpur (KUL), Lagos (LOS), Mumbai (BOM), Nairobi (NBO), Shanghai (PVG)

Launched 2018
London City (LCY) - New York (JFK)

Bedding only routes (as of 31 May 2018)
Bedding now launched on all LHR services
AMM, BEY, CAI, DME, DOH, ICN, IKA, LAD, TLV (IKA and LAD routes subsequently terminated; catering on remaining LHR routes expected to launch in December 2018).

LGW routes: White Company products expected to be on all LGW flights effective 06 July 2018, at which time all Club World routes worldwide will feature the new bedding product (see post 1367). Reports that new bedding loaded on LGW-JFK in late June (see post 1349).
Print Wikipost

New Club World Service 2017 - catering and bedding – experiences and reactions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Was the new bedding coming out today? Any signs of it?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It was, watch this space.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
My sister is flying back from JFK tonight. She will be happy to experience it all
Old Oct 23, 2017, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jday
My sister is flying back from JFK tonight. She will be happy to experience it all
It certainly would be good to get her opinion on it. And she could of course sign up for Flyertalk and tell us herself!
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
When will we see the new CE product . A bit of a killjoy for those coming off the new CW product then connecting onto Europe in a premium economy style product sold as J .... really lets the overall product down !
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Flame3601
When will we see the new CE product
It was “improved” only recently!
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flame3601
When will we see the new CE product . A bit of a killjoy for those coming off the new CW product then connecting onto Europe in a premium economy style product sold as J .... really lets the overall product down !
Is there enough demand though for a proper business class product/seat on a shorthaul flight? The average flight within Europe is only two hours so is it necessary? And this is not just BA but for any airline....
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Padmeister
Is there enough demand though for a proper business class product/seat on a shorthaul flight? The average flight within Europe is only two hours so is it necessary? And this is not just BA but for any airline....
That's a very uk-centric view if I may. For a majority of CE pax, CE is not just '2 hours or so' but rather the first or last 2 hours of their 15-20 hour journey and often the last memory that will remain with them and influence their future purchase decisions.

We are not talking about whether passenger A will decide to pay an extra £69 for a POUG to CE here, but whether passenger B will spend their £6,000 for SIN-NCE in F on BA or LX, and whether passenger C will spend their £3,000 for GVA-LAX on BA or AF.

In that particular category (the 2 hour blocktime flight), BA now has the single worst business class product of any significant legacy airline. AF gives better food, much better drinks, pillow, and individual bottle of water, LX gives better food, individual bottle of water and chocolates, OS gives much better food as do IB and TP, BA offers large trays with lots to eat (I don't find it good though), KL, SK, and AY do it better (except the Flybe operated flights) and even LH which was the poor sibling till recently still offers more and better food than BA on their medium flights not to mention better drinks again.

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 23, 2017 at 2:46 pm
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by orbitmic
That's a very uk-centric view if I may. For a majority of CE pax, CE is not just '2 hours or so' but rather the first or last 2 hours of their 15-20 hour journey and often the last memory that will remain with them and influence their future purchase decisions.
Hi Orbitmic.

But if you have departed in CE and then on to a longhaul CW or vice versa do you not think CE is ok for a couple of hours which is my point. I am a descent sized chap at 6'2 and wouldn't want to be stuck in a CE seat for several hours for example but I find it perfectly adequate for a couple of hours at the start or end of a longhaul flight.

I just​​​​​​ don't think for the majority of airlines a full on business class seat/product has enough demand on shorthaul.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
I don't wish to derail the thread but I don't feel 'necessary' would be the right choice of word in that context, with the greatest respect! Are any luxury, high priced product/service necessary?

I look forward to hearing about/seeing the new bedding.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
But if you have departed in CE and then on to a longhaul CW or vice versa do you not think CE is ok for a couple of hours which is my point.
In a nutshell, no I don't. I'm not referring to the seat here, because there, as you say, BA is following the general principle of the competition (though more cramped than several others) but about the soft product which is where they are really lagging behind. I don't think that what BA serves on medium band flights for a lunch or dinner flight (and bear in mind that some people will either not have time to use the lounge during transit or will wait to eat on the plane) is acceptable.

I also think that it is a shame given the investment in the new JFK CW soft product (and improvement of food on long band CE flights).
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

I just​​​​​​ don't think for the majority of airlines a full on business class seat/product has enough demand on shorthaul.
In all honesty, I think you're way off the mark on this.

Given the number of people who seem happy to stump up cash for the apology for a business class 'cabin' that is CE, I'd say there is little doubt that a proper business class shorthaul product would find enough takers.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Can I help you
It was, watch this space.
What colour did they settle on? Will it be on LHR to Kuala Lumpur flights by march next year?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA
Hi Orbitmic.

But if you have departed in CE and then on to a longhaul CW or vice versa do you not think CE is ok for a couple of hours which is my point. I am a descent sized chap at 6'2 and wouldn't want to be stuck in a CE seat for several hours for example but I find it perfectly adequate for a couple of hours at the start or end of a longhaul flight.

For me the point is that ET in the exit row is more comfortable that a CE seat. The "meals" in CE simply don't cut the mustard (no pun intended), so I have stopped buying CE. Were BA to introduce CE with legroom I would happily pay for the product, even for "a couple of hours".
Flame3601 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load
In all honesty, I think you're way off the mark on this.

Given the number of people who seem happy to stump up cash for the apology for a business class 'cabin' that is CE, I'd say there is little doubt that a proper business class shorthaul product would find enough takers.
Yes but it's the investment cost though is it not? And like you say people are paying for CE as it is so why change it! Most people would not put up with a CE seat for several hours but they will for a couple of hours so clearly it is not "necessary" to change the product. Longhaul is a different matter BA have said themselves they have fallen behind the competition hence the investment in CW plus a very good new seat coming in 2019. So they know they have to get with the times for longhaul business class however for shorthaul I think they will manage to get away with the current offering there is just not the requirement/demand for a swanky seat and acres of legroom for an average 2 hour shorthaul flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.