Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I find this absolutely astonishing - this is the 9th set of notified strike action, of which 7 have actually taken place, over a period of just over 6 months.

Just when on earth is the CAA definition of "unusual and unlikely to happen frequently" reached then?

All the other criteria may well make perfect sense, and leaving aside the issue of sympathy with the MF crew I'd have no issue with my own safety stepping on a QR plane, but this sort of statement does nothing to disprove a theory that the CAA is but a glove puppet for the aviation industry in this country in far too many ways.
Why not write to them to ask?

Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
but what will happen if MF strike again in August? Then BA will have to wet lease again no?

I am assuming the CAA will approve the request?
Yes and no doubt yes.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
Just had a fantastic experience on one of the Qatar replacement planes; so glad I was lucky to have this on one of my routings. What I found hilarious was that the cabin crew (and captain) used the entire flight as an opportunity to big up their own brand, constantly apologising for the fact that their arrangement with BA meant they were being forced to dish out a sub-standard service. I also liked that, because the cabin was small, full and out of the ordinary, there was great camaraderie between the passengers who couldn't agree more with the points that the crew were making. It was almost like the atmosphere at one of the bars on a QR A380!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@crazyanglaisy : sounds fun

(I presume you'll be hoping for more strikes ..... ??)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
For those who are interested, the CAA wrote to me this morning enclosing a copy of their advice to the secretary of state for transport (now on their website).

To summarize,
  • there were seventeen comments on the wetlease (including mine), comprising one from BALPA, one from Unite, thirteen private individuals objecting, one individual making neutral comments, and one individual in favour;
  • as far as is permitted by EU law, the CAA adopts a "liberal" policy towards wetleasing of foreign aircraft;
  • the CAA accepts that the industrial action is "an exceptional need", is "unusual and unlikely to happen frequently" and does not think it is relevant whether this is something BA could have avoided;
  • the lack of available crew (rather than the lack of aircraft) is a valid reason for a wetlease (this might be of concern to the pilots union);
  • the safety grounds raised by Unite are dismissed (rightly in my view);
  • a fresh application for wetleasing beyond the 16th of July would have to be made, the open-ended nature of the original request was impermissible.
A resounding victory for BA then?

Pleased to see that Unites' contemptible attempt to play the health and safety card was kicked into touch. However, somewhat surprised that over 1000 MF crew voted to strike but only 17 formally raised concerns.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
I find this absolutely astonishing - this is the 9th set of notified strike action, of which 7 have actually taken place, over a period of just over 6 months.

Just when on earth is the CAA definition of "unusual and unlikely to happen frequently" reached then?
There was a recent post saying cabin crew had taken industrial action twice in the last 30 years.

I guess it depends whether you see the current round of industrial action as one dispute or 7.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Agent69
However, somewhat surprised that over 1000 MF crew voted to strike but only 17 formally raised concerns.
You have misunderstood: this was a consultation open to the general public. The CAA were not canvassing MF for their opinions on this. One of the comments was from Unite, the union involved in this dispute. Another was from the British Airline Pilots' Association. The remainder were from individuals (and at least one, mine, was someone with no connection to BA other than being a customer). Not all comments were opposed to the wetlease; one was in favour of it. Another was neutral.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Jul 5, 2017 at 2:17 pm Reason: Remove quote from deleted post (itself quoting a deleted post!)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
You have misunderstood: this was a consultation open to the general public.
So MF crew were banned from taking part in the consultation?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:21 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Agent69
A resounding victory for BA then?

Pleased to see that Unites' contemptible attempt to play the health and safety card was kicked into touch. However, somewhat surprised that over 1000 MF crew voted to strike but only 17 formally raised concerns.
Yes, it would seem so - although you'd have to say the card Unite tried to play was naive at best, grossly stupid at worst. An airline that's allowed to fly into Europe was never going to be barred on safety grounds.

The MF crew numbers complaining is, I think, something of a red herring - in these circumstances you expect the organisation representing you to make the objection, and the CAA would see anything else as a double count and an attempt to manipulate the process, which wouldn't look good on anyone in the longer term if it came to raising further objections to another application.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: OZ*G, LA/Emerald, StarbucksHK Lifetime Gold
Now that Unite has announced another round of strikes from the 19th of July. chances for BA being granted the new permit to wet lease the 9 QR birds and if so, where are they gonna stash the birds (and crew) for 2 full days?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Strongly doubt they'll fly back, probably parked at LHR just like the BA birds are parked now. I think they'll rotate some crew into and out of DOH though, as I suppose most were told they would only be away from base for two weeks...
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Cruz should count his lucky stars.. It's nice to have an alliance partner with an idle fleet of baby-buses along with a set of top notch crew to help with your labor problems.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by BA6501
Strongly doubt they'll fly back, probably parked at LHR just like the BA birds are parked now. I think they'll rotate some crew into and out of DOH though, as I suppose most were told they would only be away from base for two weeks...
or simply fly them somewhere else within the U.K. Which would allow for cheaper short term aircraft parking etc, plenty of options in the U.K. With available space to park a few aircraft for a bit, PIK, NQY, etc

cs
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by 12cheungtk1
Now that Unite has announced another round of strikes from the 19th of July. chances for BA being granted the new permit to wet lease the 9 QR birds and if so, where are they gonna stash the birds (and crew) for 2 full days?
If Qatar get their regional feud resolved by then they may want them all back.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1010101
If Qatar get their regional feud resolved by then they may want them all back.
I wouldn't hold your breath. The Saudis have been waiting for an opportunity to do this for twenty years.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
or simply fly them somewhere else within the U.K. Which would allow for cheaper short term aircraft parking etc, plenty of options in the U.K. With available space to park a few aircraft for a bit, PIK, NQY, etc

cs
It's free to park them over in BA-land AFAIK. Haven't been to LHR except a quick connection on Tuesday but I'm guessing that's where most of the BA Airbus are parked now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.