Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to lease 9 Qatar A320s + crews during strike

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Only if you like having a big hairy arm inches away from you. No thanks.
Hmm that has never been a problem for me on any of AA's A320 F cabins with 2-2 seating, and we are fatter than you are.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:17 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Hard to tell from the photo but the J class seat doesn't look massive - assume the aisle is much wider than normal as a result??
It was pretty much like any US first class domestic seat on DL or AA on a 737 etc
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Service was fantastic in J on yesterday's BUD-LHR. Things got off to a great start with the PDBs and improved from there.

Points of interest:
  • QR barriers used at the gate area to section out the various boarding groups.
  • During boarding I overheard one Y passenger saying, "this is actual business class, not economy with a stupid little table. I can see why this is worth paying for".
  • The crew apologised for the BA catering and assured us that the selection is usually far better on Qatar catered flights.
  • No printed menus but the crew had memorised the F&B already.
  • Every passenger in J was showering the crew in praise, many seemed to already have future travel with QR booked too. This was discussed when the crew came to individually thank each passenger for flying with them and hoped that they would see us on a QR flight in the future.
  • IFE compartments in armrests had been glued shut and no headphones were handed out.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Do any of the leased aircraft have the full lie flat seat product. I've had it on their A320's on both short long haul flights ie around 4 hours and also on short hops?

I assume QR have kept these ones as they are all shiny and new and also BA may not want people to see what the competition provides. Also very limited numbers of seats.

Bit of an eye opener for anyone used to BA though!
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
All of the ones BA are using have recliner seats.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BA6501
All of the ones BA are using have recliner seats.
Shame. I was hoping for one on LHR-SOF this morning but no such luck. Did have Dirty Den in 1C beside me though!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those who are interested, the CAA wrote to me this morning enclosing a copy of their advice to the secretary of state for transport (now on their website).

To summarize,
  • there were seventeen comments on the wetlease (including mine), comprising one from BALPA, one from Unite, thirteen private individuals objecting, one individual making neutral comments, and one individual in favour;
  • as far as is permitted by EU law, the CAA adopts a "liberal" policy towards wetleasing of foreign aircraft;
  • the CAA accepts that the industrial action is "an exceptional need", is "unusual and unlikely to happen frequently" and does not think it is relevant whether this is something BA could have avoided;
  • the lack of available crew (rather than the lack of aircraft) is a valid reason for a wetlease (this might be of concern to the pilots union);
  • the safety grounds raised by Unite are dismissed (rightly in my view);
  • a fresh application for wetleasing beyond the 16th of July would have to be made, the open-ended nature of the original request was impermissible.

Last edited by Calchas; Jul 5, 2017 at 5:05 am Reason: Missing "not" in "does not think it is relevant"
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Jermyn
Service was fantastic in J on yesterday's BUD-LHR. Things got off to a great start with the PDBs and improved from there.

[*]Every passenger in J was showering the crew in praise, many seemed to already have future travel with QR booked too. This was discussed when the crew came to individually thank each passenger for flying with them and hoped that they would see us on a QR flight in the future...[/LIST]
Think BA just did QR a favour... by pushing their passengers who normally would not have booked with QR to try them long haul.

If BA wanted 'bad' service, they should have wet leased from AB or IB instead, don't you think?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
IB would have probably been delighted to send up their surplus midhaul A319s

The reason for the QR aircraft is simply due to the fact most of their regional network is shut down.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Originally Posted by Calchas
For those who are interested, the CAA wrote to me this morning enclosing a copy of their advice to the secretary of state for transport (now on their website).

To summarize,
  • there were seventeen comments on the wetlease (including mine), comprising one from BALPA, one from Unite, thirteen private individuals objecting, one individual making neutral comments, and one individual in favour;
  • as far as is permitted by EU law, the CAA adopts a "liberal" policy towards wetleasing of foreign aircraft;
  • the CAA accepts that the industrial action is "an exceptional need", is "unusual and unlikely to happen frequently" and does think it is relevant whether this is something BA could have avoided;
  • the lack of available crew (rather than the lack of aircraft) is a valid reason for a wetlease (this might be of concern to the pilots union);
  • a fresh application for wetleasing beyond the 16th of July would have to be made, the open-ended nature of the original request was impermissible.
I have received the same email this morning, which immediately lead me to believe there were not many individual complaints.

I wonder what BA (and the CAA) would to in case of another strike, say 1-15 August. Would that be considered as "happening frequently"?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BA6501
IB would have probably been delighted to send up their surplus midhaul A319s

The reason for the QR aircraft is simply due to the fact most of their regional network is shut down.
BA has provided evidence to the CAA that it was impractical to source the required aircraft from within the EU.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Only if you like having a big hairy arm inches away from you. No thanks.
That's no way to talk about Mrs. HIDDY.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:42 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador

To summarize,
  • the CAA accepts that the industrial action is "an exceptional need", is "unusual and unlikely to happen frequently" and does not think it is relevant whether this is something BA could have avoided;
I find this absolutely astonishing - this is the 9th set of notified strike action, of which 7 have actually taken place, over a period of just over 6 months.

Just when on earth is the CAA definition of "unusual and unlikely to happen frequently" reached then?

All the other criteria may well make perfect sense, and leaving aside the issue of sympathy with the MF crew I'd have no issue with my own safety stepping on a QR plane, but this sort of statement does nothing to disprove a theory that the CAA is but a glove puppet for the aviation industry in this country in far too many ways.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
I find this absolutely astonishing - this is the 9th set of notified strike action, of which 7 have actually taken place, over a period of just over 6 months.

Just when on earth is the CAA definition of "unusual and unlikely to happen frequently" reached then?

From reading the letter it's not that the strike is unusual but the need to lease from outside the EU that is unusual. The previous strikes were managed by either stuffing the passenger or by leasing from within the EU.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze

To summarize,
but what will happen if MF strike again in August? Then BA will have to wet lease again no?

I am assuming the CAA will approve the request?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.