Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lounge access guidelines

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:19 pm

Can any regular users give me an idea of what Galleries Club might be like around 7:30am ish on a weekday morning in school half term holidays, i.e. next week? Wondering whether the Plaza Premium might be a better option for a quick bite of breakfast and a coffee.

Thanks

Last edited by grantsteve; Feb 12, 2020 at 2:27 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Akoz
Travelling with the wife and kids soon. Only I have BAEC Silver, would I be able to guest my wife into the lounge, while I take the kids down to soft play (I think from memory there is some such thing by gate A2 at LHR)? Would save me an absolute fortune in coffee.
They would probably let this happen but strictly speaking you have the lounge access and your wife is your guest while you are there, she doesn't have admission rights on her own. But since you're not trying to get all the cost centres into the lounge the agent may be OK on this. The play area is indeed now by gate A2.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by grantsteve
Can any regular users give me an idea of what Galleries Club might be like around 7:30am ish on a weekday morning in school half term holidays, i.e. next week? Wondering whether the Plaza Premium might be a better option for a quick bite of breakfast and a coffee.

Thanks
I'm guessing this is LHR T5. North will be busy, typically, South less so and T5B quieter still. Half term may make it a bit quieter than normal at that hour. Plaza Premium is usually fairly quiet anyway but T5B would be the best bet. See the Passageway Guide for departing passengers in the BA Forum Dashboard.
grantsteve likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm guessing this is LHR T5. North will be busy, typically, South less so and T5B quieter still. Half term may make it a bit quieter than normal at that hour. Plaza Premium is usually fairly quiet anyway but T5B would be the best bet. See the Passageway Guide for departing passengers in the BA Forum Dashboard.
Perfect, thank you.

Apologies - one more question. Would you still advocate GC at T5B if travelling European shorthaul? I thought most of those flights departed T5A?

Last edited by grantsteve; Feb 12, 2020 at 2:55 pm
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Avallon
Hi Manan, welcome to the forum.

You won't get lounge access in ORD unfortunately. Only in LHR.
even though it's a BA operated lounge?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by grantsteve
Perfect, thank you.

Apologies - one more question. Would you still advocate GC at T5B if travelling European shorthaul? I thought most of those flights departed T5A?
Agreed that most European short haul go from T5A.

It is about a 10 minute walk (probably slightly less) from B back to A through the tunnel. Depending how long I have I sometimes use B. the longer I have the more likely I am to use B.
grantsteve likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Manan Agarwal
Its a grey area. The BA policy document doesn't specifically mention your category of transfer. But I'd say it worth a try, providing your transfer at LHR happens within a 24 hour time period. The lounge at ORD is capacity constrained but still, luck might be on your side.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Manan Agarwal
Even though its BA operated

Your status, your class of travel and your LHR connection do not give you access in ORD.

You will get access in LHR. Had you booked CW to london and WT+ onward then you have had access in both,

Nothing to stop you explaining you are flying on from LHR in CW and see if they will bend the rules but expect a no entry.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 3:18 am

I am flying from Newcastle to LHR in CE and then connecting onto LHR to EWR in first. It is all one ticket. I have no status with BA. From reading this I can guest someone into the Concorde Room (plus any of the other lounges) at Heathrow but because my class of travel out of NCL is only CE does that mean I can’t guest anyone into the lounge there?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by StuMcGrew
I am flying from Newcastle to LHR in CE and then connecting onto LHR to EWR in first. It is all one ticket. I have no status with BA. From reading this I can guest someone into the Concorde Room (plus any of the other lounges) at Heathrow but because my class of travel out of NCL is only CE does that mean I can’t guest anyone into the lounge there?
That's correct. You can have a +1 at LHR for the CCR or any of the other lounges but a CE ticket with no status unfortunately doesn't allow guesting rights at NCL.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: TK*G, IHG PA, BA Bronze, Marriott Silver
Long haul economy to short haul business

Hi, I don't think this kind of connections is covered but if I'm flying LHR-(world traveller)-JFK-(AA domestic first)-MIA, will I have lounge access to BA's JFK lounge or even Admirals Club at JFK during a 6-hour layover? I only have BA Bronze and I understand that I won't have lounge access at LHR, but since usually AA domestic first doesn't include lounge access will they let me in if it's not "solely North American itinerary" but part of a transatlantic journey? Thanks so much!
Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by joeyzzz
Hi, I don't think this kind of connections is covered but if I'm flying LHR-(world traveller)-JFK-(AA domestic first)-MIA, will I have lounge access to BA's JFK lounge or even Admirals Club at JFK during a 6-hour layover? I only have BA Bronze and I understand that I won't have lounge access at LHR, but since usually AA domestic first doesn't include lounge access will they let me in if it's not "solely North American itinerary" but part of a transatlantic journey? Thanks so much!
You won't have any access at all to lounges at JFK as you simply don't have the right status or flying in the right cabin.

You also posted this same question on the AA board but the answer remains the same.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Apr 6, 2020 at 10:07 am
Old May 7, 2020, 10:40 am

I'm flying MAN-LHR in ET then LHR-JFK in CW. I know I get lounge access at LHR, but do I also get it at MAN? Would I get to use the business class check-in line?

On the return I'm flying EWR-LHR in CW so know that I can use the lounge at EWR, but what, if any can I use at LHR? I'll connect on to LHR-MAN, again in ET.

Thanks

Last edited by Prospero; May 24, 2020 at 1:13 pm Reason: Remove reply to an off topic post
Old May 8, 2020, 3:37 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
I'm flying MAN-LHR in ET then LHR-JFK in CW. I know I get lounge access at LHR, but do I also get it at MAN? Would I get to use the business class check-in line?

On the return I'm flying EWR-LHR in CW so know that I can use the lounge at EWR, but what, if any can I use at LHR? I'll connect on to LHR-MAN, again in ET.

Thanks
I've somehow missed this epic planning, but since no-one else has chipped in with the answer, you'll find a lot of details about mixed class travel in the excellent Lounge Access Guide, from the Dashboard:

And specifically the post covering access by class of travel (as opposed to status):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28247209-post4.html

The short answer is you should get Business Lounge access at all 4 airports, i.e. MAN, LHR, EWR, LHR

The slightly longer answer (and it's worth reading the stickies to get the details) is that broadly, when flying mixed class on a connection, it is the more substantial leg that guides the access, so since your longhaul legs are both in a qualifying class, your shorthaul legs inherit that qualification. I think strictly speaking by oneworld rules it is supposed to be same day, but BA at LHR have always interpreted overnight flights as counting so your EWR-LHR flight qualifies your subsequent LHR-MAN flight, even though that's actually on the following day. You should keep hold of your inbound EWR-LHR CW Boarding Pass on that leg to prove access, although the computers seem to be getting better at connecting things and sometimes the shorthaul BP might be enough.

Don't forget that depending on when your EWR-LHR leg lands, you'll also have access to the Arrivals Lounge (closes around 2pm), which some people prefer. You'll need your inbound EWR-LHR BP for that one.

On the question of Business Class check-in, I'm not 100% sure, but on the basis of the rules for lounge access, I'd say yes.
Old May 8, 2020, 3:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I've somehow missed this epic planning, but since no-one else has chipped in with the answer, you'll find a lot of details about mixed class travel in the excellent Lounge Access Guide, from the Dashboard:

And specifically the post covering access by class of travel (as opposed to status):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28247209-post4.html

The short answer is you should get Business (Galleries) Lounge access at all 4 airports, i.e. MAN, LHR, EWR, LHR

The slightly longer answer (and it's worth reading the stickies to get the details) is that broadly, when flying mixed class on a connection, it is the more substantial leg that guides the access, so since your longhaul legs are both in a qualifying class, your shorthaul legs inherit that qualification. I think strictly speaking by oneworld rules it is supposed to be same day, but BA at LHR have always interpreted overnight flights as counting so your EWR-LHR flight qualifies your subsequent LHR-MAN flight, even though that's actually on the following day. You should keep hold of your inbound EWR-LHR CW Boarding Pass on that leg to prove access, although the computers seem to be getting better at connecting things and sometimes the shorthaul BP might be enough.

Don't forget that depending on when your EWR-LHR leg lands, you'll also have access to the Arrivals Lounge (closes around 2pm), which some people prefer. You'll need your inbound EWR-LHR BP for that one.

On the question of Business Class check-in, I'm not 100% sure, but on the basis of the rules for lounge access, I'd say yes.
I agree, access at all four.

The connection at LHR when on the inbound will be same day unless the OP is overnighting at LHR before taking the final flight

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
  • First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
  • Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
  • You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
BertieBadger likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.