Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Kbuffett
I appreciate your replies, but I am still a little unclear as to how I can make use of the return portion of the voucher for a different trip. I don't intend on going to India again.
It would help to know, then, the sort of place where you might want to go. To take some random examples, you could use the inbound half to fly back to LHR from HKG, JNB or SIN, but you couldn't use the inbound half to fly back from JFK.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Yes, you can, but there are some limitations you have to be aware of.

First, there are restrictions on the route of the inbound half because of open-jaw rules.

Second, the change to the inbound half must be to return from a place in the same Avios zone as the place in the original booking. So, for example, if the inbound half is booked now as JFK-LHR, you can't later change it to MIA-LHR as MIA is in a different zone.

Third, if after you have flown the outbound half you decide not to use the inbound half, you won't get a refund of the Avios for the inbound half. There have been recent reports of people being permitted to cancel the inbound half before they start the outbound half and to get an Avios refund for the inbound half, but I'm not sure whether technically that's permitted by the rules.

Fourth, ISTR that technically you can't actually change the inbound half after the outbound half has been flown, although in practice BAEC is allowing this. In theory, that could potentially pose a problem.
It would help to know, then, the sort of place where you might want to go. To take some random examples, you could use the inbound half to fly back to LHR from HKG, JNB or SIN, but you couldn't use the inbound half to fly back from JFK.
Thanks. I think I see what you are suggesting about the zone. However, I thought the journey had to be shorter that the outward journey and therefore I didn't think SIN or HKG would be permitted options? However, due to the current health situation, I don't think I would want to go there. We are quite flexible, but naturally redemption availabilty is tight, hence why I was hoping for JFK as an easy to book option, and good for a weekend trip.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
However, I thought the journey had to be shorter that the outward journey and therefore I didn't think SIN or HKG would be permitted options?
The surface sector must not be longer than either of the flown sectors. So SIN is fine:-
LHR-BOM 4487 miles
BOM-SIN 2435 miles (surface sector)
SIN-LHR 6765 miles

If you want to do a round-trip to JFK using the 2-4-1, why don't you just book that and buy a round-trip cash ticket for BOM? You may find it quite expensive to buy a one-way cash ticket to get back from BOM.

Even if the open-jaw limitation didn't exist on the 2-4-1, it would probably have been pretty expensive to use Avios for a one-way LHR-BOM, buy a cash ticket BOM-LHR, buy a cash ticket LHR-JFK, and use Avios for a one-way JFK-LHR,
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:55 pm

The surface sector must not be longer than either of the flown sectors. So SIN is fine:-
LHR-BOM 4487 miles
BOM-SIN 2435 miles (surface sector)
SIN-LHR 6765 miles

If you want to do a round-trip to JFK using the 2-4-1, why don't you just book that and buy a round-trip cash ticket for BOM? You may find it quite expensive to buy a one-way cash ticket to get back from BOM.

Even if the open-jaw limitation didn't exist on the 2-4-1, it would probably have been pretty expensive to use Avios for a one-way LHR-BOM, buy a cash ticket BOM-LHR, buy a cash ticket LHR-JFK, and use Avios for a one-way JFK-LHR,
Some really useful info there. Thank you. It might be better to use the 241 for JFK
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Some really useful info there. Thank you. It might be better to use the 241 for JFK
Just in case you aren’t fully appreciating the expiry rules, you only have to fly the outbound before the voucher’s expiry. However the change rules mean you also have to book the inbound before flying the outbound.

That means you only have to make the booking for a separate inbound before April, and that inbound flight could the be booked for any time up to March/April 2021.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Virgin Red
I used my 2-4-1 voucher for myself and my wife to go to NYC this July in 1st and had our seats booked (4E & 4F). Without notice over the weekend the aircraft changed to 789 from 777, so 1st is now 8 seats only. We now don't have any seats booked and we can't book them as none are available. Our daughter is flying with us and she was booked in 3A but got moved (without being contacted by BA) to 1A. I phoned BA but the systems were down for two hours on Saturday and when I called back, I was told the cabin is "Locked out" and no changes can be made and I would have to wait until 24 hours before to see which seats will be available. I said that my daughter if flying with us and this is unacceptable, as we have hotels booked, travel arrangements to the airport to make, etc..... I was then told to wait until tomorrow to see if the cabin becomes "unlocked", I thought this was a line to get me off the phone.
Has anybody else had this issue? If so how did you resolve it?
This is the third time BA have either cancelled flights or reported me as not being on a flight and cancelling my return flight, without contacting me.
Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by User_4444
I used my 2-4-1 voucher for myself and my wife to go to NYC this July in 1st and had our seats booked (4E & 4F). Without notice over the weekend the aircraft changed to 789 from 777, so 1st is now 8 seats only. We now don't have any seats booked and we can't book them as none are available. Our daughter is flying with us and she was booked in 3A but got moved (without being contacted by BA) to 1A. I phoned BA but the systems were down for two hours on Saturday and when I called back, I was told the cabin is "Locked out" and no changes can be made and I would have to wait until 24 hours before to see which seats will be available. I said that my daughter if flying with us and this is unacceptable, as we have hotels booked, travel arrangements to the airport to make, etc..... I was then told to wait until tomorrow to see if the cabin becomes "unlocked", I thought this was a line to get me off the phone.
Has anybody else had this issue? If so how did you resolve it?
This is the third time BA have either cancelled flights or reported me as not being on a flight and cancelling my return flight, without contacting me.
Thanks
At the moment is the issue that you are trying to reselect seats? Looks like you must be on BA177 or 179 that day?

177 is showing as having 1E/F and 2K free. 1A/K are not occupied but are blocked unless you are a gold.
179 is showing as 1E/F free, and all row 2 free. 1A is occupied, 1K is not occupied but is blocked unless you are a gold.

I am afraid this changing is inevitable over the next few years as BA swap between CWS aircraft and non CWS ones going between 8 and 14 F seats.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:16 am

Using 2-4-1 for parents

This is a hypothetical question, at least at the moment, involving two separate issues: the 2-4-1 voucher being valid for the cardholder + 1; and seat swapping. At some point I would like to treat my parents, who are not getting any younger and haven't ever* travelled in Business, to a CW trip.

Paid-for CW is unlikely, so my 2-4-1 would be the obvious way of doing this. A second 2-4-1, plus more Avios, would let me take them both (plus another person!) but on the assumption that this doesn't turn out to be feasible due to availability or lack of Avios/2-4-1...

If I were to book an Economy or Premium Economy seat on the same flight in the name of my other parent, is there a rules or etiquette faux-pas in me swapping seats with them so they can have my CW seat (I figured it would be most appropriate to do this on boarding, and to inform the CSM)? Or is this an absolute no?

* An op-up on a Swiss ZRH-LHR trip doesn't quite count!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:36 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by squawk
This is a hypothetical question, at least at the moment, involving two separate issues: the 2-4-1 voucher being valid for the cardholder + 1; and seat swapping. At some point I would like to treat my parents, who are not getting any younger and haven't ever* travelled in Business, to a CW trip.

Paid-for CW is unlikely, so my 2-4-1 would be the obvious way of doing this. A second 2-4-1, plus more Avios, would let me take them both (plus another person!) but on the assumption that this doesn't turn out to be feasible due to availability or lack of Avios/2-4-1...

If I were to book an Economy or Premium Economy seat on the same flight in the name of my other parent, is there a rules or etiquette faux-pas in me swapping seats with them so they can have my CW seat (I figured it would be most appropriate to do this on boarding, and to inform the CSM)? Or is this an absolute no?

* An op-up on a Swiss ZRH-LHR trip doesn't quite count!
It is very unlikely you'd have any issue with swapping, especially as such an obviously generous gesture. Bear in mind though that you can't really swap lounge access - only status or F travel would allow you to guest the Y/W-ticketed passenger.

(I don't think you mean to mix cabins on two 241s, but if they are both in your name you can only use two of your own 241s as a 442 with all four of you in the same cabin.)
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:48 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by squawk
I'll chip in another opinion that this should not be an issue, I've actually been the beneficiary in this scenario, where someone wanted to step down a cabin to be with a family member - the CSM was fine with it. (As was I, needless to say)

I'd just say to follow some rules, which may be fairly obvious, such as:
  • Speak to the CSM/CSD and obtain their permission. As noted, if you explain why you are doing it, I would hope they would be fine with it
  • Make it clear that you understand the swap will be for the full duration of the flight
  • Make it clear that you won't be routinely "popping up" to visit them etc
I don't know what status, if any, you have with BA - that could have an impact on lounge guesting as has been said - and for all the criticisms laid at the lounges, for people who are not regularly status/business travellers, I think they are very much part of the business class experience and it would be a shame for them to miss out.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
At the moment is the issue that you are trying to reselect seats? Looks like you must be on BA177 or 179 that day?

177 is showing as having 1E/F and 2K free. 1A/K are not occupied but are blocked unless you are a gold.
179 is showing as 1E/F free, and all row 2 free. 1A is occupied, 1K is not occupied but is blocked unless you are a gold.

I am afraid this changing is inevitable over the next few years as BA swap between CWS aircraft and non CWS ones going between 8 and 14 F seats.
We are on 189 to EWR
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:11 am

We are on 189 to EWR
Thanks, Currently on BA189 on 1 July no seats in F are occupied. 1A/K are blocked for golds.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:15 am

Thanks, Currently on BA189 on 1 July no seats in F are occupied. 1A/K are blocked for golds.

Thanks for this, sorry its July 21st
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:18 am

Thanks for this, sorry its July 21st
Ah. Bit more of a tricky one as it's showing as F0A0 and with only one free seat 1K. The seat map isn't locked, it's more that all seats except for 1K are occupied.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:36 am

Ah. Bit more of a tricky one as it's showing as F0A0 and with only one free seat 1K. The seat map isn't locked, it's more that all seats except for 1K are occupied.
Thanks, so both of us get moved to CW as we can't travel in different classes. We were hoping to use the Concord Lounge but my daughter is only allowed to guess one person. Will we get compensation Avios, as well as our difference Avios back?

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.