Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC foot soldier
Apologies if I’m cutting into this thread, it’s been a awhile since I was last here,

I was wondering, is it possible to apply for and get the Premium card, spend £10k almost immediately, downgrade to the free BA card, get the £195 refunded pro-rata and still keep the 241 voucher?

Thanks
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by TheAberdonian
Apologies if I’m cutting into this thread, it’s been a awhile since I was last here,

I was wondering, is it possible to apply for and get the Premium card, spend £10k almost immediately, downgrade to the free BA card, get the £195 refunded pro-rata and still keep the 241 voucher?

Thanks
yes
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by TheAberdonian

Thanks
Yes, that's possible. The wiki at the start of the post covers this, at least in part: Your voucher will retain the 24 month validity associated with the PP card

Q: I've earned my voucher on the Premium Plus card. If I subsequently downgrade the card, does it retain its two-year validity?
A: Yes. At the point the voucher appears in your BAEC account, the validity and expiry date will not change.
May also be worth having a look at the Head For Points site (whose owner posts here as Raffles) as they have some pretty comprehensive articles on the 2-4-1. For example, https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/1...m-plus-review/ discusses your exact scenario
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC foot soldier
Thanks folks,

Help is much appreciated.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by pauldb
You probably haven’t had an email after the change either? The delay is in them re-ticketing your booking. It can take weeks but I don’t think it’s as much a problem as in the past.
Sadly it’s not a possible win for you. If it’s not re-ticketed you have no ticket for the return leg and from personal experience (a relative) that will take a lot of effort to fix at the airport.
So no need to chase them but two weeks from your trip I would get it fixed rather than hoping to get away with it!
I have e-ticket [revised] accessed through MMB, and everything is showing normally there.. It's just the additional payment that's missing!

Originally Posted by London21
out of interest did you call to add the legs? Or do online at full avios then ask them to refund ? Thanns
I did the return by phone. Twice, actually, as I also needed to add the final LGW-JER leg which wasn't released until the following (T-335) day.

Thanks for the inputs. I will monitor over the next few months.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Alan Shave
I'm now due to add the 2nd leg our 241 booking in the next couple of days.

The outward leg is in first class – any reason I can’t call the 24 hour ‘You First’ number, rather than the US/Japan call centre? Does anyone have any experience of doing this?
I can also confirm that You First we’re happy to add the return leg to our existing 241 booking in F. Guy was extremely helpful and knew exactly what to do. Indeed I failed the previous night after getting bounced around the US call centre, so he saved my sanity tonight!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by simon79
I can also confirm that You First we’re happy to add the return leg to our existing 241 booking in F. Guy was extremely helpful and knew exactly what to do. Indeed I failed the previous night after getting bounced around the US call centre, so he saved my sanity tonight!

Yes, I can also confirm I did my 241 return this way. Phone up You First a few minutes before time to get through security questions they won’t cut you off for being early.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: BA GGL
I currently have two separate one way Avios bookings 1) NYC to LHR and 2) LHR to NYC each using a different BA ‘2 for 1. Both in First. My booking is the UK based Amex LHR to NYC on 18th Feb and the NYC to LHR on 14th Feb outward, is booked using my wife’s (US based) BA Chase Visa Companion voucher. Booked back in September.

I would now like to add the return flight for each, 22nd Dec NYC to LHR and 2nd Jan 2021 LHR to NYC each using the unused portion of of the ‘vouchers’. I assume that this is possible to be done, but only over the phone, or is it more cost effective (tax etc) to book online paying full Avios for two passengers for each flight, and then calling to have the extra Avios returned to each account (if possible)? It can be in CW or First depending on availability.

Advice appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:21 am

Hi there, I see the wiki suggests phoning the US or Japan to book the inbound leg at t-355.
However I cannot see any phone numbers. I presume this has already been asked but I can't figure out the search system.
I don't use Skype, so is there another cheap method for phoning US or Japanese numbers from the UK? perhaps one of those international calling cards?

Secondly, just to be clear, in summer are the seats released at midnight, or at 1am. I am in the UK.

Thanks.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Aston100
Hi there, I see the wiki suggests phoning the US or Japan to book the inbound leg at t-355.
However I cannot see any phone numbers. I presume this has already been asked but I can't figure out the search system.
I don't use Skype, so is there another cheap method for phoning US or Japanese numbers from the UK? perhaps one of those international calling cards?

Secondly, just to be clear, in summer are the seats released at midnight, or at 1am. I am in the UK.

Thanks.
This is what we have been doing. In addition to our mobile phones with a UK network (Three) for unlimited calls within the UK, which is expensive when calling overseas - we bought a giffgaff SIM (not the bundle one as we don't need text or UK calls) for calling overseas. The rates are much cheaper than Three (£30 for a 5 mins calls to Australia - we did this by mistake, compared to less than £1 with giffgaff). We inserted the giffgaff SIM into an old unused / unlocked mobile phone and used it to call overseas. When we run out of credit, we just bought a giffgaff £10 (minimum) voucher from Tesco to top up (follow the instructions on the voucher and it is good for 12 months) - no need to top up on giffgaff website with a credit card. Check out giffgaff website for international call costs and compare them against other mobile phone such as Three, Vodafone, EE etc
PS - the phone numbers for BA overseas offices, you need to log into your BAEC account - "Bronze, Silver and Gold Executive Club Members: Please log in to your account to view your dedicated number.
Please choose a country from the drop down menu below to find the contact details of our worldwide offices." Don't forget to check seat availability in rewardflightfinder.com
Aston100 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax
This is what we have been doing. In addition to our mobile phones with a UK network (Three) for unlimited calls within the UK, which is expensive when calling overseas - we bought a giffgaff SIM (not the bundle one as we don't need text or UK calls) for calling overseas. The rates are much cheaper than Three (£30 for a 5 mins calls to Australia - we did this by mistake, compared to less than £1 with giffgaff). We inserted the giffgaff SIM into an old unused / unlocked mobile phone and used it to call overseas. When we run out of credit, we just bought a giffgaff £10 (minimum) voucher from Tesco to top up (follow the instructions on the voucher and it is good for 12 months) - no need to top up on giffgaff website with a credit card. Check out giffgaff website for international call costs and compare them against other mobile phone such as Three, Vodafone, EE etc
PS - the phone numbers for BA overseas offices, you need to log into your BAEC account - "Bronze, Silver and Gold Executive Club Members: Please log in to your account to view your dedicated number.
Please choose a country from the drop down menu below to find the contact details of our worldwide offices." Don't forget to check seat availability in rewardflightfinder.com
Thanks for the phone idea.

However, I can't see any contact numbers. I don't have status if that is relevant.

Also, in the summer, is it at 1am, or is it at midnight that the flights become available please?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
I'm on Vodafone pay monthly, and added the International call saver for £3 a month. 100 minutes. You can cancel after the one month.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton

Also, in the summer, is it at 1am, or is it at midnight that the flights become available please?
It's midnight GMT so when BST is in effect that does indeed mean 1am.
Aston100 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Interesting conversation with the GGL team today. I was proactively offered a 6 month extension to a 241 voucher that expires in May. Was told that this is routine for GGL, wasn't aware it was available for 241 (appears routinely available for GUF).
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
It's midnight GMT so when BST is in effect that does indeed mean 1am.
Thank you for that.

Seems I now have all the info, bar the all important phone number(s) to ring at 1am in July this year.
Hoping someone here can direct me to a suitable link, or indeed the number(s) themselves.
As I say, I don't have status, if that matters for the relevant number(s) to dial.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.