Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Many thanks for the clarification.

Another quick question: I have a 4-2-1 issued on Dec 6, 2018 and flew the first leg on Oct 5, 2020, but didn't book the return flight. It now shows as having expired on Dec 6, 2020. My assumption had been that I could fly the return leg up to 355 days later than the outward leg, i.e. before Sept 25, 2021. Should I have BOOKED this return leg prior to its expiration on Dec 6, 2019, or will the fact that I've already flown the 1st leg extend its validity? Or put another way, is it dead because of the expiration date?

Finally, if I want a new First Redemption ticket using a 2-4-1 with a GUF2, am I correct that there are at least two methods:
(a) online if there is U and Z availability, and
(b) by phone if there is U and A or Z availability (clearly preferable)

Last edited by Full Score; Jan 10, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Gold
Hi

Can anyone confirm that the current best way to add a return to a 2 for 1 where the inbound wasnt available due to being outside of 355 days at point of booking is to book as a full 1 way redemption then get the call center to give back half the avios?

Or is the best way to call up and ask them to add at 1am?

Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by London21
Hi

Can anyone confirm that the current best way to add a return to a 2 for 1 where the inbound wasnt available due to being outside of 355 days at point of booking is to book as a full 1 way redemption then get the call center to give back half the avios?

Thanks
Depends on where you are going. The first method is not recommended if going to the US. There are some comments about that in the wiki.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Full Score
Another quick question: I have a 4-2-1 issued on Dec 6, 2018 and flew the first leg on Oct 5, 2020, but didn't book the return flight. It now shows as having expired on Dec 6, 2020. My assumption had been that I could fly the return leg up to 355 days later than the outward leg, i.e. before Sept 25, 2021. Should I have BOOKED this return leg prior to its expiration on Dec 6, 2019, or will the fact that I've already flown the 1st leg extend its validity? Or put another way, is it dead because of the expiration date?
This is not very clear. But if what you mean is that the 2-4-1 was issued in December 2018, you booked a one-way trip for travel in October 2019, and you flew that trip when the booking was still a one-way booking, then the voucher has been used and cannot now be revived.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by Full Score
The return leg must be added to the booking before you complete the outbound leg.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Hi

Thanks
I booked online and then got the avios refunded. It still remained as 2 separate bookings but I had no issues doing this. It also saved me a lot of pain as the 2-4-1 was in the wife's name

As Karfa says if it is for the US, you can still do this, but will not get the tax difference refunded so will cost you more.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by parklife
I booked online and then got the avios refunded. It still remained as 2 separate bookings but I had no issues doing this. It also saved me a lot of pain as the 2-4-1 was in the wife's name

As Karfa says if it is for the US, you can still do this, but will not get the tax difference refunded so will cost you more.
Thank you

It is for JNB so think is likely best way of doing?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
Thank you

It is for JNB so think is likely best way of doing?
According to the WIKI I don't think the taxes differ as the US/Canada are the ones that are called out. Worth trying some dummy bookings to make sure.

Assuming there are no negative differences in tax cost by doing it for JNB, then the one risk you have is someone on the phone could get the agent to hold the seats before you have finalised the booking. The other risk of doing it on the phone is getting an inexperienced agent who doesn't know how to do this - this happened to me the first time I called in the middle of the night - luckily I did manage to get the seats though!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by parklife
According to the WIKI I don't think the taxes differ as the US/Canada are the ones that are called out. Worth trying some dummy bookings to make sure.

Assuming there are no negative differences in tax cost by doing it for JNB, then the one risk you have is someone on the phone could get the agent to hold the seats before you have finalised the booking. The other risk of doing it on the phone is getting an inexperienced agent who doesn't know how to do this - this happened to me the first time I called in the middle of the night - luckily I did manage to get the seats though!
Thank you.

Yep - i am trying to weigh up weather to try online and just blast through as quick as possible vs. calling up.

The risk is, as you say, getting someone who doesnt not know how to do it.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
For bakera in post 1955:
Thank you for your succinct response. Very helpful.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
This is not very clear. But if what you mean is that the 2-4-1 was issued in December 2018, you booked a one-way trip for travel in October 2019, and you flew that trip when the booking was still a one-way booking, then the voucher has been used and cannot now be revived.
Yes, thanks. This is exactly what I meant. Good info.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 12:18 pm

Using a 2-4-1 with a GUF2, am I correct in thinking that I can book First by phone if U and A are available, and not be dependent upon Z availability?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
How long does it take for BA to bill the return?

So I grabbed the outbound using the 2-4-1 last month ... Avios and £££ duly deducted (Payment date 14 Dec). Subsequently added the return leg[s], new e-ticket showing all sectors and Avios adjusted (Redeposit/Redemption, Payment date 31 Dec) .... but no additional £££ payment for T&F shown. And nothing [yet] on my BA Amex either.

I have NO intention of consulting BA, but is such a long [2-week] delay in charging £££ for the return legs normal?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by T8191
So I grabbed the outbound using the 2-4-1 last month ... Avios and £££ duly deducted (Payment date 14 Dec). Subsequently added the return leg[s], new e-ticket showing all sectors and Avios adjusted (Redeposit/Redemption, Payment date 31 Dec) .... but no additional £££ payment for T&F shown. And nothing [yet] on my BA Amex either.

I have NO intention of consulting BA, but is such a long [2-week] delay in charging £££ for the return legs normal?
You probably haven’t had an email after the change either? The delay is in them re-ticketing your booking. It can take weeks but I don’t think it’s as much a problem as in the past.

Sadly it’s not a possible win for you. If it’s not re-ticketed you have no ticket for the return leg and from personal experience (a relative) that will take a lot of effort to fix at the airport.

So no need to chase them but two weeks from your trip I would get it fixed rather than hoping to get away with it!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by T8191

out of interest did you call to add the legs? Or do online at full avios then ask them to refund ? Thanns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.