Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dselvan
Can’t upgrade using points at the airport. Can only be done with a phone call to the executive club and you can only do that if the reward availability comes up.
BA however will be more than happy to take more of your money to upgrade though!!!
nor use a 241 even if reward seats available.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Can’t upgrade using points at the airport. Can only be done with a phone call to the executive club and you can only do that if the reward availability comes up.
BA however will be more than happy to take more of your money to upgrade though!!!
I am sure BA would happily take a very large chunk of Avios regardless of whether there is any reward availability, through the new AUP Avios pricing, but it would almost certainly not be a sensible use of Avios.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Question, related to this as I will be in the same position in a few months (booked in J, want to travel in F, 241, with enough Avios): I know I can change my booking at any time with a £35pp fee. When does this stop being the case - is it T-24?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
Question, related to this as I will be in the same position in a few months (booked in J, want to travel in F, 241, with enough Avios): I know I can change my booking at any time with a £35pp fee. When does this stop being the case - is it T-24?
The closest I have done was 5 days before travel when the redemption seats became available since I kept checking if F seats came up. I assume it must be T-24 when online check in opens but not 100% sure.
OxfordBlue likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:26 am

I have a 241 booked EDI-LHR-EWR-LHR-EDI.

I now need to be in London the few days before the domestic connection.

I can do it if I have to but ideally I don’t want to go back to EDI before the flight to EWR (apart from the unnecessary journey, timing would be tight ish and it’s Dec so at risk of weather).

Can I change the domestic connection so it’s a few days earlier ie so would be a stopover rather than connection? Would the whole itinerary need to be reticketed ?

Alternatively can I cancel the connection and just start the 241 in LHR (and book and entirely separate flight to LHR for a few days earlier)? I do need the return connection, however.

thanks for help.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cojeh
Can I change the domestic connection so it’s a few days earlier ie so would be a stopover rather than connection? Would the whole itinerary need to be reticketed ?
Yes you can change it if there is reward availability for the date you want to change to. Cost will be £35 per person change fee and possibly some extra few pounds of fees/taxes. However, both passengers on the booking need to change as both need to be on exactly teh same itinerary.

Alternatively can I cancel the connection and just start the 241 in LHR (and book and entirely separate flight to LHR for a few days earlier)? I do need the return connection,
yes that would be fine to do as well and just cancel the EDI-LHR sector for both passengers.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Can I use a BA Amex voucher issued in the UK for a one way inbound sector say SFO to LHR? or must the one-way be UK to destination
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by col747uk
Can I use a BA Amex voucher issued in the UK for a one way inbound sector say SFO to LHR? or must the one-way be UK to destination
I’m afraid it’s the latter. All travel must originate UK.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes you can change it if there is reward availability for the date you want to change to. Cost will be £35 per person change fee and possibly some extra few pounds of fees/taxes. However, both passengers on the booking need to change as both need to be on exactly teh same itinerary.

yes that would be fine to do as well and just cancel the EDI-LHR sector for both passengers.
Thanks for the response.

There is reward availability that would work for when we actually want to travel. What is better value - changing the connection as part of the 241 for £35pp so £70 in total or cancelling entirely and booking a separate new flight Avios flight - cost is 25500 avios and £1. Guessing 25500 avios is likely to be worth more than £70? I do have a lot of surplus avios though..

Many thanks
Old Nov 20, 2019, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by cojeh
Thanks for the response.

There is reward availability that would work for when we actually want to travel. What is better value - changing the connection as part of the 241 for £35pp so £70 in total or cancelling entirely and booking a separate new flight Avios flight - cost is 25500 avios and £1. Guessing 25500 avios is likely to be worth more than £70? I do have a lot of surplus avios though..

Many thanks
A frequently quoted view is that Avios are worth about 1p each - though obviously if you have lots and will struggle to get value out of them then you may consider them worth less.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Thanks as ever to everyone for the invaluable advice on here. Just wanted to report back on what I think was a successful 2-4-1 booking and to ask one small question (which may be obvious to some).

Booked an Open Jaw to Osaka (KIX) and back from Beijing (PKX) in April (with many many digits crossed for a cold winter and the cherry blossom still out). Amazingly we managed to get 4 reward seats as the plan is to take Mrs ST's parents with us. We just made the 10% discount so the fee per pair was £1100 plus 137,500 avios. Without this forum, I would not have have thought about flying back from China (and being able to use TMOV, so no visa needed!).

[Separately, we've booked JAL HND-PEK via Avios, which do seem reasonable value: a 4 hour flight for 22k avios plus £50; the cash price for a one-way was a staggering £1000 per person]

Anyway, the message to readers of this is be patient over the phone (only way to get an OJ booking) and be prepared For example, need to have loaded up your travelling companions into Friends and Family/ HHA]..And if you have two companion vouchers for two separate people, BOTH have to be present during the call and very oddly I was told that both tickets needed Amex cards in their own name. I queried this and was told that it is a phone only issue. My call took over 30 minutes to process but in the end it was worth it.

Genuinely surprised that the ONLY reward flight for over two months to Japan had four seats available. So my question is whether there are more available seats for Goldies? I noticed that on my receipt that there was a Gold upgrade voucher applied.

>>
Redemption Type Companion e-voucher
Card Type AMEX CREDIT
Card Holder XXXX
Card Number***********1000
Billing Address XXX
Avios points debited 137250
Voucher Type: Gold Upgrade Voucher
<<
Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel

I noticed that on my receipt that there was a Gold upgrade voucher applied.

>>
Card Type AMEX CREDIT
Card Holder XXXX
Billing Address XXX
<<
I think the answer is simply that the type of voucher used (in your case an Amex Companion Voucher) is often wrongly described on the e-ticket receipt. I have receipts mentioning Gold Upgrade vouchers and I have never possessed such a voucher.
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:17 am

If you upgrade the BA Amex to the Premium card, does it run an additional credit check? I'm wanting to upgrade as I'm above the £10k for the companion voucher on the premium, but doubt I'll hit the £20k. I've had some searches recently however and don't want to ding my credit, so unsure of whether or not to wait/
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Benedmonds
If you upgrade the BA Amex to the Premium card, does it run an additional credit check? I'm wanting to upgrade as I'm above the £10k for the companion voucher on the premium, but doubt I'll hit the £20k. I've had some searches recently however and don't want to ding my credit, so unsure of whether or not to wait/
Can't give you an answer from experience on this particular situation, but the answer is generally no for existing customers of a company unless you are applying for credit above what they are prepared to give you already.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Thanks as ever to everyone for the invaluable advice on here. Just wanted to report back on what I think was a successful 2-4-1 booking and to ask one small question (which may be obvious to some).

Booked an Open Jaw to Osaka (KIX) and back from Beijing (PKX) in April (with many many digits crossed for a cold winter and the cherry blossom still out). Amazingly we managed to get 4 reward seats as the plan is to take Mrs ST's parents with us. We just made the 10% discount so the fee per pair was £1100 plus 137,500 avios. Without this forum, I would not have have thought about flying back from China (and being able to use TMOV, so no visa needed!).

[Separately, we've booked JAL HND-PEK via Avios, which do seem reasonable value: a 4 hour flight for 22k avios plus £50; the cash price for a one-way was a staggering £1000 per person]

Anyway, the message to readers of this is be patient over the phone (only way to get an OJ booking) and be prepared For example, need to have loaded up your travelling companions into Friends and Family/ HHA]..And if you have two companion vouchers for two separate people, BOTH have to be present during the call and very oddly I was told that both tickets needed Amex cards in their own name. I queried this and was told that it is a phone only issue. My call took over 30 minutes to process but in the end it was worth it.

Genuinely surprised that the ONLY reward flight for over two months to Japan had four seats available. So my question is whether there are more available seats for Goldies? I noticed that on my receipt that there was a Gold upgrade voucher applied.

>>
Card Type AMEX CREDIT
Card Holder XXXX
Billing Address XXX
<<
Glad you got it sorted fairly sure with that intinery and details about thr booking i spoke to you last night when you rang to book but and wife was out so we couldn't do it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.