Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
I successfully managed to book the return of an an open jaw for next year but was not sure that I have been charged the right taxes. I asked the team to check but they assured me it was correct. I have booked JER YVR in PE and back NAR JER in CLUB I have been charged 460 pp taxes etc. I note now I have ticketed I have been charged 26pp APD. Transit in both cases through UK are less than 24hours. Are the taxes and fees charged correct or should I go back again?
If you price up a revenue multi city JER-YVR/NAR-JER itinerary on ba.com what does it show for TFC? Is there any APD shown? And does that match what you paid?

also note that for an INT-DOM connection through the UK the connection must be 6 hrs or less to avoid the £13/26 APD being payable for the onward domestic flight.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:43 am

Thanks for help KARFA what is the best way to price this multi class ticket. I find the multi city doesn't work for me as the PE domestic leg prices in club.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
I have booked JER YVR in PE and back NAR JER in CLUB I have been charged 460 pp taxes etc. I note now I have ticketed I have been charged 26pp APD. Transit in both cases through UK are less than 24hours. Are the taxes and fees charged correct or should I go back again?
I suspect that you are flying back from NRT? NAR is an airport in the middle of Colombia that is apparently not served by scheduled airlines.

You don't give the date of travel nor the times that you are booked on. So we can only guess at what is going on here.

Looking at a quick EF schedule search for late August 2020, NRT-LHR arrives at 1720. On some days there's a valid LGW-JER connection that is bang on three hours (departure from LGW 2020). That connection would be free of APD.

Otherwise, the shortest connection is an overnight that departs LGW somewhere from 0650 to 0900 the next morning, depending on the day of the week. If you are connecting to this departure, it would also be free of APD. This is because for an international arrival between 1700 and midnight (not sure whether this is 2359 or 0000), the limit is that the domestic flight* must depart at or before 1000 the next day to be APD free.

If you have chosen a later LGW-JER, then APD will be payable because you are beyond the APD-free time allowed.

More information here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/air-pass...nected-flights

* ETA: pauldb has correctly pointed out (in the next post) that that page says that flights to the Channel Islands are international for APD purposes, and if that is correct, then the 24-hour rule ought to apply. See further below.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by Globaliser; Oct 31, 2019 at 3:05 am
Old Oct 31, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That link notes that Channel Islands are INT not DOM, though misapplication could still explain the costs.
flashware likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by pauldb
That link notes that Channel Islands are INT not DOM, though misapplication could still explain the costs.
That's a good spot, thank you. There may be a system bug somewhere, then.

I had tested this by pricing connections from NRT-LHR BA6 1255-1720 on 1 September.

Connecting to BA2770 LGW-JER 0805-0910 on 2 September, ITA prices without APD.

Connecting to BA2772 LGW-JER 1210-1310 on 2 September, ITA prices with APD, even though this is less than 24 hours.

I have just checked this again for both economy and business, and ITA appears to apply the rule for domestic flights. So I think that pauldb may have found the answer. I notice that that HMRC page, which was first published on 29 January 2018, says that it was updated on 22 March 2018 "to clarify how flights from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are treated". So there is a possibility that GDS systems have not been corrected.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 3:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pauldb
Well spotted! Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:22 am

Thanks all. So do I now go back to BA via an Incident form and tell them I think the system is incorrect regards the return NRT JER?

As a regular on these sort of routes I suspect I have paid this incorrectly more than once. E.G last night just got off of a MSY JER!

(PS the boudin sausage at MSY vino volo using the voucher in lieu of lounge access was great!)
Old Nov 12, 2019, 2:42 pm

Booked my outbound EDI - KUL in Business using the 241 voucher and will add the return later this month.

Can someone confirm my numbers for the taxes/fees?

It looks to me like taxes/fees for 2 pax on a business return are £1389.62.

Booking it as two one-ways, it looks like £873.70 outbound and then £569.72 inbound, so a total of £1443.42.

Based on those numbers, I'm best getting on the phone at midnight GMT T-355 rather than booking the return online and then calling up to get them to link it to the 241 booking?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Can I give away my voucher? It's useless to me as I never have enough Avios.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by GodAtum
I believe it is strictly personal to the cardholder, and not transferable.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
There is a 50% bonus sale on purchasing Avios ATM, which may be worth doing in your case.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s&nocache=9158
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by The Geek
There is a 50% bonus sale on purchasing Avios ATM, which may be worth doing in your case.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...s&nocache=9158
Unfortunately avios+tax+buying miles is more than a cash ticket
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Unfortunately not. Can you use it for shorthaul? I know it is not the best use but better than it expiring since you have spent the required amount and got the voucher.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:12 pm

Flying LHR - JFK soon booked in J.

Can you upgrade at the airport using points if F is available on a 2-4-1? If so does it still need to have reward availability in F?

My flight I can see F5 available at present but no reward availability.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by castie
Flying LHR - JFK soon booked in J.

Can you upgrade at the airport using points if F is available on a 2-4-1? If so does it still need to have reward availability in F?

My flight I can see F5 available at present but no reward availability.
Can’t upgrade using points at the airport. Can only be done with a phone call to the executive club and you can only do that if the reward availability comes up.
BA however will be more than happy to take more of your money to upgrade though!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.