Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 4:10 am

Thank you pauldb and BertieBadger.

Originally Posted by pauldb
It is very unlikely you'd have any issue with swapping, especially as such an obviously generous gesture. Bear in mind though that you can't really swap lounge access - only status or F travel would allow you to guest the Y/W-ticketed passenger.

(I don't think you mean to mix cabins on two 241s, but if they are both in your name you can only use two of your own 241s as a 442 with all four of you in the same cabin.)
Yes, sorry - I should have been clearer. If I had 2x 241s and sufficient Avios we would all be in the same cabin - most likely CW - along with a fourth person. If I were to use a single 2-4-1 for me and one parent, the other would have a separate cash booking in WT/WTP. No problems for lounge access: I'd be able to guest the WT/WTP person in via status.

Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I'll chip in another opinion that this should not be an issue... I'd just say to follow some rules, which may be fairly obvious
Thank you - and those are very sensible rules! I agree, the lounge access is part of the 'package' for people who don't travel frequently.

All of this is very hypothetical at the moment, though. Given they're in the higher risk category for COVID-19, my parents aren't planning on being confined in a small tube with hundreds of strangers any them soon...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:19 am

Book return or two singles?

London to Tokyo: Using the companion voucher can I purchase outbound and inbound separately (to reduce taxes, fees, etc.) or must i purchase return? If the former is true then how do I do this as my attempts to book lead me to suspect that this isn't possible (nor can I find guidance on the matter)
Thanks!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:36 am

Programs: BA, JAL
The taxes and surcharges for the voucher make useless for long haul. Each year it's been sneaking higher. I priced up a return to Vegas and it was 1300+ in taxes and surcharges before even looking at the miles required.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:48 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cowleasow
London to Tokyo: Using the companion voucher can I purchase outbound and inbound separately (to reduce taxes, fees, etc.) or must i purchase return? If the former is true then how do I do this as my attempts to book lead me to suspect that this isn't possible (nor can I find guidance on the matter)
Thanks!
yes you can book as 2 one ways only if the return leg is not on sale yet, you book the outward on line, book the return on line at full avios and then ring in to have the voucher applied and get 50% of return flight avios refunded. There will be 2 PNRs and separate fees calculation
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
The taxes and surcharges for the voucher make useless for long haul. Each year it's been sneaking higher. I priced up a return to Vegas and it was 1300+ in taxes and surcharges before even looking at the miles required.
Useless or less valuable?

A J out F return to Santiago comes in at £1100ish in fees. A single J return is £3k at the moment.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
yes you can book as 2 one ways only if the return leg is not on sale yet, you book the outward on line, book the return on line at full avios and then ring in to have the voucher applied and get 50% of return flight avios refunded. There will be 2 PNRs and separate fees calculation
YorkieFlyer, thank you!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:28 am

Just a question re cancelling a 2-4-1, does the refund go back to the original card or is there an option ?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by argonath
Just a question re cancelling a 2-4-1, does the refund go back to the original card or is there an option ?
Original card. No other options.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:39 am
xep

Programs: BA EC
We're (2 adults, 1 infant) booked in CW return to ORD in July on an Amex 241. I'm hoping Coronavirus impact will have calmed down on travel restrictions by then.

If not, however, what would our options be if we decided only 1 adult was to travel?
I assume it would be cancel all of us on the Amex 241 and rebook a cash fare? Direct from LHR, WT is £610, WTP ~£1k, and Club is ~£1.8k. Long gone are the cheap Paris fares.

Are there any other tricks we could use?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:04 pm

We had an open jaw booking LHR-ORD/MIA-LHR on a 2-4-1 which I amended by cancelling the return leg in favour of cruising back. That cruise has now been cancelled and I would like to reinstate the MIA-LHR leg on a different date. There is availability on a number of suitable days so can I just phone BA and ask them to turn what is now a single outbound back into an open jaw return? I would like to be forearmed with knowledge of the options before I phone.

many thanks for any tips
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by xep
We're (2 adults, 1 infant) booked in CW return to ORD in July on an Amex 241. I'm hoping Coronavirus impact will have calmed down on travel restrictions by then.

If not, however, what would our options be if we decided only 1 adult was to travel?
I assume it would be cancel all of us on the Amex 241 and rebook a cash fare? Direct from LHR, WT is £610, WTP ~£1k, and Club is ~£1.8k. Long gone are the cheap Paris fares.

Are there any other tricks we could use?
your options would really depend on the policy at time for instance at the moment free rebook policy applies for certain dates, for rebook Avios availability doesn't have to be there you can be rebooked in commercial space.

obvious if only 1 adult was to travel the comp voucher would be redundant but could still go for the taxes and Avios as a normal redemption booking or cancel for 35£ per person and book a cash ticket
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: Executive Club
I've cashed in an Amex 2-4-1 companion voucher for two one-way tickets to SYD in F this coming August but does anyone know if I can add a stop in Singapore for a couple of days as part of that booking? Would try to put the question directly to BA but obviously they have bigger fish to fry...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by L1011UL
I've cashed in an Amex 2-4-1 companion voucher for two one-way tickets to SYD in F this coming August but does anyone know if I can add a stop in Singapore for a couple of days as part of that booking? Would try to put the question directly to BA but obviously they have bigger fish to fry...
Do you have it booked as a single leg LON-SYD or as two connecting legs (even if on the same plane)? You cannot switch between the two so you can only stop in SIN if you are only switching the date of already-separate legs.

You can of course cancel and rebook but two legs cost more than one. Or you can add an inbound routing with a stop if that’s what you meant.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by L1011UL
You are booked to go to SYD only, so no that will not be possible.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Voucher not returned after cancellation

Both my wife and I cancelled award flights about 2 months ago, that both had 2-4-1 vouchers in use. When they were refunded we received the the miles and money back, but the vouchers haven't reappeared. Any ideas who I might contact to restore these?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.