Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:48 pm
  #106  
Jed
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Posts: 719
Asked the CSM once before doors closed, only after I saw the 'upgrades'. Hardly prying, as it was impossible to miss.

Of course I fully expected to be bashed in this thread, which is why the addendum to my original post acknowledged that I did indeed receive what I paid for and my awareness that the captain's decision is final.

The detail regarding the hen party was included because in my opinion being part of a hen party wasn't an operational reason to use the F cabin. How many times do honeymooners post on here asking whether they'll be upgraded only to be chased away saying it's not an operational reason?

I might well take a break from this thread but only because my wife is complaining that posting on Flyertalk is a waste of holiday time.
Jed is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:49 pm
  #107  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: BNA, ATL
Programs: AS MVPG, LH, Marriott Titanium, National Executive Elite
Posts: 118
Originally Posted by Jed
I said that was unfair.
Not sure if serious...
MeanwhileBackAtFAI is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:51 pm
  #108  
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Morbihan, France
Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Posts: 19,315
Originally Posted by Jed
I asked a few days prior to departure when ordering my son's child meal, as I could see the cabin was filling up. I didn't want the presence of our infant son to disadvantage us,
Sorry - I missed that bit and nearly missed it again. So there were at least three of you? You seriously expected the CSM to put three of you up there? Grief, I've heard the lot now, that really takes some nerve. I wouldn't have dared, and my husband says that I have more front than Brighton.
PUCCI GALORE is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:53 pm
  #109  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Programs: Meh
Posts: 2,636
Originally Posted by Jed
I asked a little while after booking (after reading the MAD 777 thread). I was told that it would only be used as overflow, which I accepted. I asked a few days prior to departure when ordering my son's child meal, as I could see the cabin was filling up. I didn't want the presence of our infant son to disadvantage us, as a little lock symbol appears over the adult associated with the infant and I didn't want us to fall victim to a case of 'computer says no' if they were using the F cabin. I was then told to ask at check in, which I did. Check in asked me to ask at the lounge and the lounge asked me to ask at the gate.

In my experience with BA, you do have to keep checking on things otherwise in the various handovers of seating control as departure approaches, with an infant, the seating can often get locked and one is overlooked for cabin rolls etc.

It was a case of being told at every stage that the cabin wasn't being used, then when I saw it WAS being used onboard, I asked if we could move into it and was given an aggressive reply. Just because I am a GCH doesn't mean it isn't a special family trip for us either.
I am starting to think this is all a ruse to unite the BA ft board after a rough few months. If so hats off. If not, well then take care of your kids and infant son, they are more important than an F seat for 2.5 hrs.

Again I think this may be a wind up, if so well done.
stevie is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:56 pm
  #110  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Posts: 22,129
Originally Posted by Jed

The detail regarding the hen party was included because in my opinion being part of a hen party wasn't an operational reason to use the F cabin. How many times do honeymooners post on here asking whether they'll be upgraded only to be chased away saying it's not an operational reason?
I'd consider safeguarding other passengers' comfort by removing the potential (even likely, based on what I've seen from hen dos on flights) source of noise from a large group on an early morning flight is an operationally sound reason.

Honeymooning couples don't tend to get particularly loud, but any large group can get quite loud, particularly in a party mood. As it was reportedly an early morning flight, it's extra important to allow other passengers a quiet environment.

I certainly wouldn't begrudge their decision, even though I would perhaps be a bit disappointed to miss out on sitting in an F seat. Mind you I'd probably make a hasty retreat to CW as soon as they get loud!
Maybe they did get loud and possibly obnoxious, so the outcome might have been in your favour after all even if it hand't originally been to your liking.

Um.... also, I assume you weren't in women's clothes. You might have disqualified yourself from the hen party that way...

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Apr 15, 2017 at 1:20 pm
LTN Phobia is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:56 pm
  #111  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dundee
Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Posts: 1,451
Originally Posted by Jed
I might well take a break from this thread but only because my wife is complaining that posting on Flyertalk is a waste of holiday time.
Have a good holiday, and don't let it bother you.
Is it really worth getting upset about?

Life's too short, go and have fun with the family.
BlueThroughCrimp is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:58 pm
  #112  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Posts: 3,027
Fascinating thread- and mostly in the right spirit even if the OP has taken a bit of a hammering.

At most I would have maybe grumbled to myself a bit and maybe commented on here whilst trying hard not to sound like I cared too much. I would certainly not have raised it with the CSM. The OP does seem to have become overly pre-occupied with what is, objectively and in the broader scheme of things, a very minor point.

I understand that the problem is mainly with the CSM's attitude, but I also get the impression that the OP was spoiling for a fight, because having been told the CSM's position, and having expressed his view that it was unfair, I am not sure why the conversation went on- I can only imagine that the OP continued to insist on being moved, which seems OTT.

I suppose this is an example of the famed DYKWIA syndrome, but then again we all display it from time to time. It is interesting that CIHY indicated that the situation had not been handled well. What should have happened? It seems to me that once the passengers had been moved and the OP had borne witness to this, the crew were on a bit of a hiding to nothing.

Unless the CSM was aggressive or rude (which is never acceptable) I would have thought that this is less worthy of a CS complaint than a lot of the more mundane things that are described on here.
South London Bon Viveur is online now  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:00 pm
  #113  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Mexico City
Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Posts: 518
Originally Posted by Jed
Asked the CSM once before doors closed, only after I saw the 'upgrades'. Hardly prying, as it was impossible to miss.

Of course I fully expected to be bashed in this thread, which is why the addendum to my original post acknowledged that I did indeed receive what I paid for and my awareness that the captain's decision is final.

The detail regarding the hen party was included because in my opinion being part of a hen party wasn't an operational reason to use the F cabin. How many times do honeymooners post on here asking whether they'll be upgraded only to be chased away saying it's not an operational reason?

I might well take a break from this thread but only because my wife is complaining that posting on Flyertalk is a waste of holiday time.
​​​​​​Your wife is right! You are honestly wasting holiday time complaining about BA doing someone a nice gesture on a special occasion?

Given the number of reasons you say the CSM gave you I find it hard to believe you only asked once. Or clearly you followed up in a fairly hostile manner.

Hint- upgrades don't have to be operational. If crew want to make a nice gesture on a special occasion they have that power, and that's as it should be. Do you genuinely believe you should benefit from anything you ever see anyone around you getting? Most people outside the Bullingdon club grow out of that along with nappies. I hope you don't teach your children this? I'm starting to hope this thread may actually open your mind a little and serve a useful life lesson...
nallison is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:02 pm
  #114  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: LONDON
Posts: 415
You probably need to take a couple of deep breaths and get on with your life. It is a wonderful thing BA did for those girls, they'll probably remember it forever - they got a whole first class cabin to themselves and a cockpit visit. Hell of a way to start a hen party.

All you seem to have done is ruined your day worrying about how seemingly wrong it all was - no-one took anything away from you as a result of this good deed. There is no reason to let you sit in there too, it wasn't a First cabin free-for-all - it was just a good deed.

Of course, this could all be a wind up but it is very entertaining.
steadman is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:02 pm
  #115  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: DMV
Posts: 2,096
All those people bashing the OP - what exactly would have been wrong with inviting him and his family into F as well? They were eager to do it; there was available space and the cabin had been opened regardless.

I get that there's a cultural thing in Britain that encourages 'don't make a fuss' thinking. However, ignoring your personal moral outrage about someone trying to get something good for themselves, I fail to see the downside here in extending the courtesy to additional passengers. I don't think as a BA flyer one should appreciate that a CSM got argumentative instead of delivering an easy and amenable solution for everyone involved.
Ber2dca is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:05 pm
  #116  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,454
Originally Posted by Jed
I might well take a break from this thread but only because my wife is complaining that posting on Flyertalk is a waste of holiday time.
Though I must admit to struggling on the sympathy or even empathy stakes, nevertheless I offer you a "well done" for keeping a cool head under FT fire! It's difficult in FT-land to avoid a piling in sometimes, I've done it in my time, so don't fret about that aspect. And you seem to have chosen a very sensible wife too - I imagine she won't be disclosing how her hen party went either!
corporate-wage-slave is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:08 pm
  #117  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dundee
Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Posts: 1,451
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't think as a BA flyer one should appreciate that a CSM got argumentative instead of delivering an easy and amenable solution for everyone involved.
There's not enough seats in F for an amenable solution for everyone though. Someone's always going to be disappointed.
BlueThroughCrimp is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:10 pm
  #118  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Posts: 3,027
Originally Posted by Cymro
As the OP acknowledges, he got what he paid for, but it's not good customer service to make one group of customers explicitly favoured over another. Sometimes it's necessary, but there is a way to do it.

I once flew CE as a blue OSL-LHR, seated in row 1. The cabin crew member made a big show of making sure that the gold sitting next to me got his first choice of meal because she "anticipated a sell out of the more popular meals" while ignoring me. I ended up with no choice at all. Clearly as a gold now, I would benefit from that situation (and have) but it really is not good practice to make paying customers feel that their money is less valuable than others, unless you are giving them a published benefit or there is a good operational reason, and even then you do it discreetly.

(When upgraded ET-CE MXP-LHR this week the gate staff were very apologetic to me and thanked me for cooperating with the "seat change" even though I was getting a free upgrade, presumably because there's no reason to make the passenger behind me think that their money isn't good enough. That's how it should be.)

As for how the CSD here knew that the others would never sit up front - presumably, they had a CIV somewhere between chuff and all, whereas you basically don't get gold without flying in premium cabins at least semi-regularly, so there is logic there - but it's completely irrelevant. If the policy is to upgrade "just because" then it should be first come, first served - but either you offer it only as needed (because the policy is to close the cabin except when necessary) or you offer it until it runs out (i.e., until 12/14 people had moved forward).
Spot on- I totally agree about the importance of being discrete. On a LGW to Bordeaux flight last year, which I had to book last minute, I was in Row 5 of CE, which was all that was available and which was the last row of CE. Just as the breakfast service was starting the CC came to me discretely to ask what my first choice for breakfast was and said she would set that aside for me.

It was done quietly and with no fuss, which meant nobody else would have felt disadvantaged, like the OP on this thread, and yet she was pro- actively showing great customer service for a GCH. Whilst I was appreciative of the gesture I certainly didn't expect to be treated favourably and told the lady that I had a slight preference for Full English but that it really was not a big deal and that as far as I was concerned everyone in front should get their first choice, that I had eaten in the lounge already etc. - as it happened I got my Full English.
South London Bon Viveur is online now  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:11 pm
  #119  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Posts: 19,333
The only reason that I say it could have been handled better is because the OP says that the CSM gave different reasons for the move, probably due to inexperience or the badgering from the OP, I would have just said it was for commercial reasons and left it at that.
Can I help you is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:14 pm
  #120  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 5 miles from EMA
Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Posts: 5,928
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
All those people bashing the OP - what exactly would have been wrong with inviting him and his family into F as well? They were eager to do it; there was available space and the cabin had been opened regardless.

I get that there's a cultural thing in Britain that encourages 'don't make a fuss' thinking. However, ignoring your personal moral outrage about someone trying to get something good for themselves, I fail to see the downside here in extending the courtesy to additional passengers. I don't think as a BA flyer one should appreciate that a CSM got argumentative instead of delivering an easy and amenable solution for everyone involved.
As has been mentioned, the OP was with his family. In my experience, hen/stag do's and young children in close proximity to each other are a recipe for disaster. Usually on the foul language and bad behaviour front.

As has had also been pointed out, the party was removed from the J cabin. This was correct in my opinion, so as not to inconvenience other passengers who have paid for and expect a more refined environment especially early in the morning.

The hen party was well contained by the sounds of it, the OP in my opinion would have been on here moaning about their behaviour no doubt had he got his wish and been moved.
Tiger_lily is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.