Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:51 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Posts: 1,281
You claim that you do not care about the "upgrade", but just how many people and how many times did you vex yourself asking people if you could get it?

Sounds like you were working yourself up into such a state of entitlement about it you were spoiling for an argument. That never gets you anywhere in an airport or onboard. Ever. It just makes the people who could help you think "spoilt git".

As for BA taking it seriously, they do not take genuine grievances seriously at the moment.
HarryHolden68 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:53 am
  #47  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 88
I was on the same flight this morning in CE/CW.

As the OP said the ladies weren't loud or disruptive when they boarded, although I was worried that they could become loud later on in the flight once the drinks were served. To be honest I was glad they got "upgraded" to F, the CW cabin was very quiet for the rest of the flight and I noticed many people took advantage of the flat beds to get a snooze since it was such an early flight.
citygourmande is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:58 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Programs: BA Oneworld
Posts: 582
Originally Posted by Padmeister
If they were on a hen party why would you even want to upgrade with them anyway?
Exactly! The CSM showed good judgement in freeing the CW cabin into a quiet space for others, while giving the ladies a treat. Seems great in my opinion.
BrianWBrazil is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:05 am
  #49  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: London
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 2,646
I can see where the OP is coming from, and I think that I would also be annoyed. One of the benefits of FT is that we have more insight into operations that the average punter. Maybe the OP specifically booked this 777 flight as he knew where was a chance to sit in F. Do you think the hen party did likewise? Maybe OP was going to fly easyJet, but thought the gamble was worth the pay off.

Originally Posted by CCayley
you bought Club Europe tickets and got to sit in Club World seats, which most people would consider something of a result. Not content with that, though, you rang in advance and asked to be seated in First Class seats, and when you were refused you asked again (at check-in), and again (in the lounge) and again (at the gate) and again (on board).
So it would seem that when the answer is no, the answer is no.....unless suddenly it becomes yes (for someone else). Can you see how that could be annoying? When you know there is a trick to be had, and put the legwork in to make it happen, isn't it infuritating to get denied, only to see it work for someone else that made no effort?

Originally Posted by Cymro
As the OP acknowledges, he got what he paid for, but it's not good customer service to make one group of customers explicitly favoured over another.
......
If the policy is to upgrade "just because" then it should be first come, first served - but either you offer it only as needed (because the policy is to close the cabin except when necessary) or you offer it until it runs out (i.e., until 12/14 people had moved forward).
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I do sympathise somewhat. I took the same flight back recently and the F cabin was blocked off until around T-3h. At this point a few seats in F were unblocked and became occupied. J was full. The remainder of the F seats stayed blocked. I asked at check in and the gate whether I could be moved to a seat in the F cabin and was told that it was completely full. The seat map showed this was a lie. Fortunately on boarding I recognised the lovely CSM from a couple of previous flights and he moved us into the (not full) F cabin. It was clear that most passengers seated in F had not spent any time in F before so I'm guessing these were last minute upgrades from Y rather than high CIV passengers moved from J. One can see how this might have been better managed by the ground staff...
Exactly, people like consistency. And being told the truth. Sure it's great when you get the special service, but it does the complete opposite for anyone watching.

So, the OP I feel has a genuine gripe that some people were moved when there was no operational need to after trying his best to move. The crew i'm sure could have handled it better, either by filling the cabin right up with Golds, or just not moving the hens in the first place. I'm sure they would have been just as happy in Club with an extra round or two of champagne.

As an aside, other than the minimal cost of cleaning (do BA ever do much cleaning?), I don't understand why they wouldn't proactively move people up when it costs them next to nothing to do so, and it's great PR. I thought the same last year on a domestic on the mid-haul A321....wouldn't it have been nice to fill up the (nearly empty) J cabin! That's certainly a perk you can't get on Ryanair or easyJet. I understand there could be a trim issue, but a) that can be accounted for seat blocking elsewhere, b) people can move after take off, c) it happens anyway when all cabins are for sale and they are unevenly loaded.

A few years ago when Norweigan launched their B787 aircraft and used them on European routes, their premium cabin was available to all....you just needed to go online and pay 6 to reserve a seat in there (or anywhere else onboard). Thumbs up to them, and I had two very pleasant sectors to/from OSL!
shefgab is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:07 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SAN, MIA, GOT
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 353
I'd give that CSM my Golden Ticket for dealing with your BS.
DreamTrip is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:10 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: DMV
Posts: 2,096
I think it wasn't handled great. If there's still space in F and you decided to open the cabin, why not just give the guy who asks for it the available seat(s)? Yeah the dude wasn't 'entitled' to be there but neither was the female party.

Even if the OP may have had no real 'beef', there was also no real reason for the CSM to not give him the F seat. At the end of the day, it seems like the CSM extends an argument for no reason because in their mind they had created a 'red line' that didn't have to be there and then at some point just felt the need to stick with that line to prove a point.
Ber2dca is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:13 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,877
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I agree, but your problem isn't that the Captain allowed the First cabin to be used by this group but by the way you were spoken too by the CSM?
I think the captain doesn't really care.
I think in many cases where "the captain" (or CEO or whoever) just goes with whatever the little people want, if it doesn't really affect anything. You might as well make them happy, right?
s0ssos is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:16 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 1,252
The way I see it, the CSM moved the hen party to deliver a double benefit - firstly the Club Cabin was protected from becoming a party cabin (benefit all those sat in CW seats) - secondly the hen party was made to feel extra special (benefit hen party).

Had the CSM moved Golds/GGL then they would have delivered only one benefit - to the Golds/GGLs and risked the Club cabin becoming a party cabin which would have had a negative impact on all those in CW seats.

CSM made the right call in my view as I suspect most people would rather have a calm cabin than a nicer seat in a noisy party cabin (not saving the hen party did misbehave, but the CSM's actions ensured that if they did, all passengers were better off)

As to the way the CSM dealt with it, perhaps room for improvement here from what the OP has said.
mrow is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:21 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 740
Well I think you missed a trick. You could have told the csm that you had been employed as a stripper and most of the party including the bride were unaware of this. If the csm didn't believe you then perhaps you could have casually exposed yourself.

Upgrade guaranteed. And a personal escort from the plane probably.
ppp909 is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:23 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: DMV
Posts: 2,096
Originally Posted by mrow
The way I see it, the CSM moved the hen party to deliver a double benefit - firstly the Club Cabin was protected from becoming a party cabin (benefit all those sat in CW seats) - secondly the hen party was made to feel extra special (benefit hen party).

Had the CSM moved Golds/GGL then they would have delivered only one benefit - to the Golds/GGLs and risked the Club cabin becoming a party cabin which would have had a negative impact on all those in CW seats.

CSM made the right call in my view as I suspect most people would rather have a calm cabin than a nicer seat in a noisy party cabin (not saving the hen party did misbehave, but the CSM's actions ensured that if they did, all passengers were better off)

As to the way the CSM dealt with it, perhaps room for improvement here from what the OP has said.
The call to upgrade the hen party is fine in itself, but there's no downside to also accommodating other CE pax who ask for available seats. It's an arbitrary decision. Customer service staff arguing with customers over arbitrary lines in the sand are making life for themselves and everyone else a bit harder for no particular reason.
Ber2dca is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:27 am
  #56  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Argentina
Posts: 40,293
Could be the party included off duty BA staff.

Still think this all smacks of someone allowing airline status to go to their head....a common theme amongst air travellers.
HIDDY is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:36 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Edi
Posts: 2,203
I think the OP needs a reality check. There's a strong sense of entitlement going on here.
Calum is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:37 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 1,252
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
The call to upgrade the hen party is fine in itself, but there's no downside to also accommodating other CE pax who ask for available seats. It's an arbitrary decision. Customer service staff arguing with customers over arbitrary lines in the sand are making life for themselves and everyone else a bit harder for no particular reason.
I don't disagree with this, but we don't know what the actual interaction between the OP and the CSM was as we were not there. After all, what is confrontational to some is perfectly fine to others.

Last edited by mrow; Apr 15, 2017 at 9:40 am Reason: Typo fixed
mrow is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:39 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 1,252
Originally Posted by Calum
I think the OP needs a reality check. There's a strong sense of entitlement going on here.
^

We also don't know anything about the hen party so there may be an underlying reason why they were moved - perhaps one of them was a Prem!
mrow is offline  
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:40 am
  #60  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 186
Originally Posted by Jed
It is against BA policy for the crew to 'upgrade' people just because they feel like it. That annoys me.

Most airlines don't do this sort of thing
I'm sorry, but the above statement is so, so wrong. I know plenty of people with contacts who get upgraded all the time because of said contacts.

I think you have to be realistic. Some people are lucky, some aren't. This time, it wasn't you. Why not let the ladies have a special time together for once?!? For goodness sake, I can tell you now, when you go to a restaurant for a 'special occassion', you also get treated better than other customers paying the exact same amount for the same dishes, surely?

As a student, I had to fly between countries (as I lived in a different country from where I was attending uni), and I was upgraded as an 19-year-old who happened to be well-dressed. No elite status or something whatsoever.

There were plenty of older people on that flight with probably more mileage, but they chose me, so what?

Last edited by Tinseltown; Apr 15, 2017 at 9:56 am
Tinseltown is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.