Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

First cabin 'closed off' to MAD but then hen party 'upgraded' into it on board

Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Though I must admit to struggling on the sympathy or even empathy stakes, nevertheless I offer you a "well done" for keeping a cool head under FT fire! It's difficult in FT-land to avoid a piling in sometimes, I've done it in my time, so don't fret about that aspect. And you seem to have chosen a very sensible wife too - I imagine she won't be disclosing how her hen party went either!
Sensible, balanced and humorous post from CWS as ever - I now feel slightly guilty for ranting!

To make up for it OP can I recommend: http://www.circulobellasartes.com/azotea/ for great views of Madrid and try Bar La Campana for the best Calamari baps in the city. It's a bit rough and ready (messy) but the squid can't be beaten!

Have fun in Madrid!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
All those people bashing the OP - what exactly would have been wrong with inviting him and his family into F as well? They were eager to do it; there was available space and the cabin had been opened regardless.

I get that there's a cultural thing in Britain that encourages 'don't make a fuss' thinking. However, ignoring your personal moral outrage about someone trying to get something good for themselves, I fail to see the downside here in extending the courtesy to additional passengers. I don't think as a BA flyer one should appreciate that a CSM got argumentative instead of delivering an easy and amenable solution for everyone involved.
Well what would have been wrong with inviting the entire cabin into F? I'm sure everyone would have been eager if offered. The OP was no more special than anyone else on the plane. The hen party had a special reason and there is also logic behind separating them from other cabins. Seems to have worked out for everyone. Even if they could have moved the OPs family, I'm not sure what the complaint is that they didn't.

I don't believe the CSM got argumentative. How many times do you expect them to say no to the OP? Probably lucky they didn't bring the captain out if they really had to give that many reasons to settle the OP down.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
All those people bashing the OP - what exactly would have been wrong with inviting him and his family into F as well? They were eager to do it; there was available space and the cabin had been opened regardless.

I get that there's a cultural thing in Britain that encourages 'don't make a fuss' thinking. However, ignoring your personal moral outrage about someone trying to get something good for themselves, I fail to see the downside here in extending the courtesy to additional passengers. I don't think as a BA flyer one should appreciate that a CSM got argumentative instead of delivering an easy and amenable solution for everyone involved.

Ber2dca - How many people were in CW at the time? It sounds like there were more people there than just OP and his family in that cabin. Why did HE and his family deserve to be in F and not the others?? At some point you need to draw the line. Will you move the entire CW cabin into F? Was there enough space even?

If I had been in the OP's cabin, I would have been fine with the hen party to go off into their own cabin and happy for them. I like seeing some people on their special days being made a fuss of.

It wasn't a special day for the OP. He was on holiday. Nothing else.

By having the F cabin to themselves, the hen party could probably relax and have a giggle, rather than have a random family sit among them, which normally always means you must be on your best behaviour (especially as there are probably children around). And the OP would probably instead criticise all the silly things they'd say and complain about how his "F experience" was ruined by a hen party.

I keep on saying this again and again - if someone celebrates a birthday at a fancy restaurant and gets free cake/champagne, should the rest of the restaurant get free cake/champagne, too?

It's the same really... although people here are obviously more focused on premium seats on flights rather than cake.

Last edited by Tinseltown; Apr 15, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
There's not enough seats in F for an amenable solution for everyone though. Someone's always going to be disappointed.
First come, first served seems like the standard principle to apply though and is unlikely to cause much dissatisfaction.

Any notion of OP complaining about the hen party if upgraded to the F cabin seems purely speculative.

I can sense that the issue here is that people assign a certain privilege to the notion of a 'hen party' (not sure why, as those parties tend to be among the more considerable disruptive influences in the travel industry) and think the OP just can't match that as a 'regular passenger'. It's of course silly, if he had told you that his kids were twins and it was their birthday, would that change the nature of the story?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:22 pm
Jed
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Not ruined my day at all- we have done some lovely sightseeing. Not fazed by the hostility of an Internet forum either- except ....
Nallison, please , don't tell me how or how not to bring up my children. You're not my mother
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
First come, first served seems like the standard principle to apply though and is unlikely to cause much dissatisfaction.

Any notion of OP complaining about the hen party if upgraded to the F cabin seems purely speculative.

I can sense that the issue here is that people assign a certain privilege to the notion of a 'hen party' (not sure why, as those parties tend to be among the more considerable disruptive influences in the travel industry) and think the OP just can't match that as a 'regular passenger'. It's of course silly, if he had told you that his kids were twins and it was their birthday, would that change the nature of the story?
Yes it would change the nature of the story. But it wasn't was it? By the sounds of it this crew would probably have done something nice for the kids in that case I find it rather sad people have a problem with crew making nice gestures. It seems some think upgrades and special treatment should only be earned for economic reasons rather than human ones. How sad.

Given the day I can only leave the OP with a little piece of advice: you're not the Messiah, just a very naughty boy!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Glad that the OP enjoyed a great day in a lovely city.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:30 pm
Jed
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tinseltown
Ber2dca - How many people were in CW at the time? It sounds like there were more people there than just OP and his family in that cabin. Why did HE and his family deserve to be in F and not the others?? At some point you need to draw the line. Will you move the entire CW cabin into F? Was there enough space even?

If I had been in the OP's cabin, I would have been fine with the hen party to go off into their own cabin and happy for them. I like seeing some people on their special days being made a fuss of.

It wasn't a special day for the OP. He was on holiday. Nothing else.

By having the F cabin to themselves, the hen party could probably relax and have a giggle, rather than have a random family sit among them, which normally always means you must be on your best behaviour (especially as there are probably children around). And the OP would probably instead criticise all the silly things they'd say and complain about how his "F experience" was ruined by a hen party.

I keep on saying this again and again - if someone celebrates a birthday at a fancy restaurant and gets free cake/champagne, should the rest of the restaurant get free cake/champagne, too?

It's the same really... although people here are obviously more focused on premium seats on flights rather than cake.

Pardon me, but I think it's rather arrogant of you to assume it wasn't a special or emotionally important day for us. Not everyone is comfortable with coming onto an Internet forum and bleeding their heart out to strangers
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks : just a reminder, when posting, please bear in mind the FT "Don't get personal" rule.

Further personally-directed posts are liable to be removed and/or cause the thread to be closed.

/mod team
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Not if the others in Jed's party are not GCH and other GCHs and above on the flight are missed, which is the usual criteria for opening the curtain.

Would be interesting to know how many other Golds were on the flight...
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:46 pm

Not if the others in Jed's party are not GCH and other GCHs and above on the flight are missed, which is the usual criteria for opening the curtain.

The thing is, if F is full and I can say "Well, it's full now. Sorry" that's different then simply saying no and coming up with a range of ever-changing stories as to why that is.

I mean if this is the sticking point then the hen party shouldn't have been upgraded now or should they do a competition to find the passenger with the most emotionally significant story? Should sufferers of serious diseases get automatic upgrade preference? Should people whose dad died recently get a preference? I mean what's the deal there?

It seems simple enough to see there's open seats and some guy is pretty eager to have them to just give them to him *if* you have already opened the possibility.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG,
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by rossmacd
Sounds like sour grapes to me.
+ 1.

Good job BA on making their hen party the trip of a lifetime. I think breaking "the rules" in this case is a sweet gesture of kindness
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Jed
Pardon me, but I think it's rather arrogant of you to assume it wasn't a special or emotionally important day for us. Not everyone is comfortable with coming onto an Internet forum and bleeding their heart out to strangers
Have you poured this emotional story out to the CSM? She can't read your mind. Going back to my cake/champagne analogy, you only get those things for free at a restaurant when someone actually lets the waiters/maitre d' know it's a special day for you.

With the hen party, this was obvious, of course.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:49 pm
Jed
Original Poster

My wife and 4 yr old son are also GCH. I think there might have been one or 2 others that the CSM went to but I was facing forward and tend not to rubber neck in these situations
Old Apr 15, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
The thing is, if F is full and I can say "Well, it's full now. Sorry" that's different then simply saying no and coming up with a range of ever-changing stories as to why that is.
He only asked once, but received numerous replies. That does sound like being asked more than once.

I mean if this is the sticking point then the hen party shouldn't have been upgraded now or should they do a competition to find the passenger with the most emotionally significant story? Should sufferers of serious diseases get automatic upgrade preference? Should people whose dad died recently get a preference? I mean what's the deal there?
The Captain's decision?

It seems simple enough to see there's open seats and some guy is pretty eager to have them to just give them to him *if* you have already opened the possibility.
One CSM's pretty eager, and is another's badgering...
Who would you go out your way to help?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.